Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting an Injen cold air intake (or some other brand) for autocrossing this summer. I don't think that intake modifications will bump you out of the GS class in Sports Car Club of America Solo II.

Anyway, my question is whether an after-market intake is worth $200.00 + for application in autocrossing. I've heard that cold air intakes reduce low-end torque, and it seems like you would want plenty of torque for your typical squirt-out-of-a-90-degree-corner-in-second-gear autocross antics. Does anyone have any thoughts?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
The Injen CAI would be a good choice (that's what I have)...do a search for lots of info on the subject of cold air intakes.

BTW, welcome aboard! :D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
yes .. idealy .. ~ an air box type intake will be better for AutoX which focus on the low to mid range power .. ~
but if u got the CAI .. ~ u might wanna bring the rpm as high as possible .. that way .. ~ u might can see some imporvement .. ~

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Well Auto X ur really in first and second gear for it, I attcually ran better times staying in first and staying around redline, then getting to second, (at least for the first half of the course...) K&N Cold Air worked fine for me, however For AUTOX the two big things are suspension and Driver, and the better each of those get, the better the times become

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
For AUTOX the two big things are suspension and Driver, and the better each of those get, the better the times become
:werd:

·
Registered
634 Posts
And, actually, anything other than an drop-in filter in the stock airbox will take you out of Stock Class and into Street Touring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re:

Duke said:
And, actually, anything other than an drop-in filter in the stock airbox will take you out of Stock Class and into Street Touring.
Really -- thanks for the heads-up. Is it worth buying a drop-in filter?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Eh, they're ~$30, they last forever with cleaning, and you may notice a marginal increase in throttle response. There's not much to lose, as long as you don't expect to gain much.

I run K&N drop-ins on 2 of my cars and a CAI on the Neon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Like what everyone else has said... changing the airbox will bump you out of stock class and improving the driver is more important than improving the car :) May as well use a K&N drop-in filter though, it eventually pays for itself.

If you're looking to improve your car for auto-x, start with tires!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Camden said:
I'd like to -- what tire would you suggest?
Depends on your budget... If you want to go all out, get R-compound tires mounted on separate rims to be used for auto-x only. R-compound tires will give you the highest performance gain and will still keep you in stock class. If you're like me and don't want to have to swap rims before every event, get a street summer tire. It won't be nearly as sticky as R-compounds though. I'm running Yokohama AVS ES100 tires and so far, I'm pretty satisfied. There are arguably better street summer tires out there (ie: Toyo T1-S/R), but they will cost more. There are also cheaper alternatives like the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 which I hear are pretty good bang for the buck.

For me, pricing was something like $165/tire for Kumho 712, $200 for Yokohama ES100, $250 Toyo T1-S (Canadian $). So I went with the Yokos.

Another alternative is "streetable R's" like the Falken Azenis and Kumho MX tires. Just keep in mind that they will wear down faster than street summer tires and may not be as good in the wet as an ES100 or T1-S tire. But they are slotted in between getting R-compounds and summer street tires and will work well for auto-x. Also, since they are designed to have characteristics of R-compound tires, they have very stiff sidewalls... may be too stiff for everyday driving depending on your taste.

Hope that info helps.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Falken Azenis are what many national champion AutoX drivers use...they are what I used and they wear better (last longer) than you would think for daily driver applications. They are great tires!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'll second the azenis recommendation for sure. i run them as the only tires on my miata and they are incredibly fun (and cheap) street tires, and offer near-R performance for solo.

that said, i have and SUV for anything less than top-down weather. drawbacks include a tendancy to hydroplane in standing water (but stellar wet grip if no puddles), useless in snow, heavy, rough ride due to stiff sidewall, <20k mile lifespan, greasy when hot. mine are at ~10k mi and i'd say they have 25% of the tread left (on a 2000lb car that is regularly autoxed).

note: there are currently two azenii available. the rt-215 has recently been discontinued and is the tire on which my comments are based. the brand new rt-615 is reputedly better in the wet, better in the dry, lighter, and less prone to overheating, but nearly 50% more expensive ($70 vs $95 in 205/50-15). i will certainly be replacing my 215's with these.

oh yeah...the intake will definitely knock you out of stock class. if you're not in it to trophy, who cares? if you are, it'll take a lot more than tires and an intake to do well in SP. maybe an ST class?

$0.02,

dookie

·
Registered
162 Posts
:) I'd like to see a Mugen intake on my car...but my local dealers are selling it around 1400-1500 dollars...much more expensive than an Injen intake....So...planning to rob a bank for that intake... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts