Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying an RBC intake manifold for my 04 tsx 6mt, and was curious if anyone else had done it? I searched for a thread and couldn't find one, so sorry is theres one like this already.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I too would like to start a discussion about intake manifolds since most the info tests on them is either about the k20 motor or old info. But to start Google mainfold shootout Honda and read the superstreet article. Lots of good info there. My only question is, is the RRC really worth it for the k24?? Has anyone done it that has dyno numbers??

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
And does it make a larger difference for the 07-08

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you want more info on the rbc check out import tuner mag for the last few months they did a build of a tsx using this manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I had to add 5-7% more fuel to my WOT columns when I put my RBC on. You lose a little bit of low end torque but what you gain up top is awesome.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I would love to know the difference between SC and an RRC with an 70mm TB....

·
Registered
145 Posts
good info tott... i read lot of articles in honda tuner when people do K swaps and alot of them have RRC. so it must be good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i was looking at the Weapon R intake manifold, but the reviews on it where not that good. i myself was just thinking on port and polishing the stock one. i hear that is good adds just enoff power as you buying an aftermarket one. but im still at a debate myself.

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
IntegraGSR23
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/36591-official-dyno-charts-thread.html#post542623
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/36591-official-dyno-charts-thread-11.html#post838963

PrecyseStylez
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-g...itrous-all-motor-w-dyno-vid-5.html#post867591

these guys have serious bolt-on's/engine builds. i think if you're a relatively stock set-up, the RRC isn't worth the money. but if you're upgrading cams or have an aggressive I/H/E setup like hytech, adding the RRC and honing it so it matches a bigger TB (or porting) will help.

and here is the superstreet comparison for a bunch of available k-series IM's.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/sstp_1002_k_series_intake_manifold_shootout/

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
what size throttle body is the RRC designed for? I know it goes on the Type R civic, but what size throttle body comes with the type R civic? is it 64mm or 70mm? i did a little search but not much came up. If its a different size i would then have to agree that the rrc would take a little bit to much $$ to yield a difference to the RBC, at that point you could have had cams etc that would really add power. Question is would we really need to do anything if you have a 07-08 with the 64mm throttle body?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
pretty sure the RRC opening is 64mm. it is a direct fit for the TSX, but you can also mate it with a larger TB like the J35 that's tapered (68mm opening, 64mm at the IM end). or i've read some people run a larger 70mm setup, like the zdx TB and hone the IM opening to match the TB.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
thanks for the reassurance on the inlet size. Looks like a RRC is going to be in my future.

·
Registered
856 Posts
How do true aftermarket intake manis like the Skunk2 hold up against OE offerings like the RRC?

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,660 Posts
How do true aftermarket intake manis like the Skunk2 hold up against OE offerings like the RRC?
check out the super street link. they test the s2 IM in there. you may as well spend the money on the RRC. OEM fitment/quality.

·
-
1,624 Posts
... i myself was just thinking on port and polishing the stock one. i hear that is good adds just enoff power as you buying an aftermarket one. but im still at a debate myself.
A TSX member, Awoc, cut a 2006 TSX stock RBB intake manifold in half, fully ported & polished it but the gains were minimal.
It was quite dissappointing.

I would like someone to extrude hone the stock intake manifold. I actually had plans to this but shipping back & forth from Canada really adds to the already expensive price.
The theory would be there would be no low end losses since it's still a long runner intake but there would be gains at the top end.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, checked the SuperStreet link right after I posted, thanks.

I would like someone to extrude hone the stock intake manifold. I actually had plans to this but shipping back & forth from Canada really adds to the already expensive price.
The theory would be there would be no low end losses since it's still a long runner intake but there would be gains at the top end.
Why bother other than curiosity? Rather extrude hone a RRC, no?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yeah since the RRC adds HP and tq and isn't very expensive and bolts right in, why bother w a possible bad port job that wastes time and
$?

·
-
1,624 Posts
Yeah since the RRC adds HP and tq and isn't very expensive and bolts right in, why bother w a possible bad port job that wastes time and
$?

If it was just that easy!!

Have a close look at the dyno curves for the short runner intake manifolds. They add high rpm power at the expense of low end torque.
If you have a near stock TSX (which is a heavy car) or if you have an automatic trans, the short runner intake manifold will make the car slower & feel like a dog.

Here is an example: Tuning the TSX

The guys having success with short runner intakes are the guys with aftermarket cams, possibly higher compression & revving their engines higher. Plus custom FlashPro ECU tuning.

Extrude honing long runner intakes in other platforms has been successful. My older 5.0L Mustang has an extrude hone Cobra long runner intake manifold. This added top end horsepower nearly equal to a short runner IM but with no low end losses.

Any time you are looking at engine upgrades, you must take the entire rev range of the engine into consideration. The area under the HP & torque curves.
Higher peak HP & torque gains but less area under the power curves can actually make for a slower car. It happens all the time & can be witness at "street drags" at your local drag strip.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts