Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through lots of threads and I cant find a clear answer, so I'll try posting one here

Just got the new car bout a month ago, and i noticed that there is a loud whistling sound in the engine when I go 60+ mph. I wanted to know if replacing the intake will make this sound go away

Another question is which intake to invest in. After some research, I've seen Cold air and Short ram be used the most. At first my main concern was the noise, then I discovered that intakes can actually help your MPG also?

I live in socal so I'm not very concerned about the hydrolock problem. I also heard taht CAI is best for high RPMs. I don't drive for performance, just to get around, so my RPM stays around 2-3.

Your opinion?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've been reading through lots of threads and I cant find a clear answer, so I'll try posting one here

Just got the new car bout a month ago, and i noticed that there is a loud whistling sound in the engine when I go 60+ mph. I wanted to know if replacing the intake will make this sound go away

Another question is which intake to invest in. After some research, I've seen Cold air and Short ram be used the most. At first my main concern was the noise, then I discovered that intakes can actually help your MPG also?

I live in socal so I'm not very concerned about the hydrolock problem. I also heard taht CAI is best for high RPMs. I don't drive for performance, just to get around, so my RPM stays around 2-3.

Your opinion?
sri will be generally a bit louder than cai since its up in the hood instead of down low. performance wise is the same pretty much...mpg varies. some ppl lost a few mpg from stepping harder to hear the growl, some dont.

since ur in CA, u might wanna look for something that is CARB certified unless you wanna put your stock intake back on everytime for a smog test

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sri will be generally a bit louder than cai since its up in the hood instead of down low. performance wise is the same pretty much...mpg varies. some ppl lost a few mpg from stepping harder to hear the growl, some dont.

since ur in CA, u might wanna look for something that is CARB certified unless you wanna put your stock intake back on everytime for a smog test
atm, I'm kinda leaning towards CAI. Are there any brands taht are all CARB certified?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
ct icebox, i think the injen is also carb approved for the 1st gen, im not sure what else is :lol:

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
AEM sri is carb legal aswell

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using the search button and readin pros and cons, I'm still confused about the loss of low end tq for cais. Is that when RPM is low, around 2-3ish?

I would only be doing city driving mostly, so my main concern is saving a bit of fuel and a bit of a growlin noise. Should i just stick with the stock intake, or invest in the cai, or the icebox thing i've seen around these forums?

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i should rephrase my question and ask: which mod would increase mpg the most, in terms of changing the intake? I just heard from a friend recently that the icebox, by CT or made yourself, will actually use more fuel

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
i think i should rephrase my question and ask: which mod would increase mpg the most, in terms of changing the intake? I just heard from a friend recently that the icebox, by CT or made yourself, will actually use more fuel
if increasing mpg is your main goal, then leave your intake stock.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated and drive slow.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if increasing mpg is your main goal, then leave your intake stock.

Make sure your tires are properly inflated and drive slow.
So what I've heard bout a new intake improvin mpg isnt true? I've heard mixed reviews everywhere bout it =\ and i usually do drive slow, never go 3+ rpm

You said you don't want noise, then get the CT Icebox, That is what I have and my mpg is the same or better.
I dont want the "whistling" noise, but i wouldnt mind the growling noise a new intake would have.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I don't think the whistling noise is coming from the intake. I also get a distinct whistling noise at 40 and 80mph even with a CT icebox.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't think the whistling noise is coming from the intake. I also get a distinct whistling noise at 40 and 80mph even with a CT icebox.
umm whistling noise? I don't thing my TSX make a noise like that at 40 to 80mph.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
The OP said he had whistling noise problem

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
It depends on what is causing the noise. Is it constant, or does it only happen when you accelerate quickly?

The intake might be able to whistle if air is getting through the intake somewhere other than the filter. For example, if one of the airbox screws is broken, it will provide enough gap for air to get sucked through when you floor the gas pedal.

So what I've heard bout a new intake improvin mpg isnt true? I've heard mixed reviews everywhere bout it =\ and i usually do drive slow, never go 3+ rpm
If noise is your concern, get the comptech icebox. It is probably the quietest intake out there (except when you hit the gas pedal hard, of course). You can also do a search for a DIY comptech icebox thread. There are a few DIY out there where all you need to do is buy a K&N filter and make an air horn for the intake.

Most people state that their intakes increased their MPG. When I put an intake on my accord, it dropped my MPG by quite a bit, even when I made sure not to have a heavy foot. My torque suffered, so it took more effort for my car to get going from a standstill or while on a freeway on-ramp. Whenever I was already at highway speeds, though, the intake was fine. That's pretty much the reason why I haven't bothered to put an intake on my TSX. When I do get around to putting an intake on my TSX, I'll certainly be getting the comptech icebox since it's similar to stock (but with slightly better effects).

If you ask on an accord forum, the general belief is that an intake makes the car go lean, thereby saving gas. They say that more air being shoved into the cylinders, while the engine puts the same amount of fuel in the cylinder. This makes the mixture lean, which then means you use less fuel.

Personally, I would always argue with them and say that the car has an optimum air/fuel ratio and that the ECU injects more fuel if it detects that the car is going lean. This in turn would increase fuel usage.

I believe that the intake isn't a mod meant for increasing MPG...it's a mod for increasing performance. Adding fuel and creating a bigger explosion in the cylinder sure would increase performance. I think the increase in MPG that some people see is a side effect in some situations due to the bigger explosions in the cylinders...the car gets up to speed quicker and can reach its cruising speed sooner.

Who knows, maybe the truth lies in a combination of both schools of thought. My degree is in computer science/engineering, not physics or mechanical engineer, so my ideas may be flawed.

I also heard taht CAI is best for high RPMs. I don't drive for performance, just to get around, so my RPM stays around 2-3.
All intakes work great at high RPMs. However, the size and bends of the intake tube affect the low and mid range. CAIs usually have long tubes, so there is a big mass of air in the tube at idle. When you hit the gas, the engine sucks up all of that air and creates a vacuum. It then takes a while for the wave of air from the filter to reach the engine. That's why SRIs usually have a better response and better lower/mid end. When you get to the higher end, though, CAIs take over because of the colder/denser air source and a longer tube to smooth out the air flow.

CAIs work great when you have a lot of highway miles. If you stay at low RPMs or have a lot of stop-and-go traffic, you might want a SRI. Or, you can get the comptech icebox and have the best of both worlds. The icebox's filter is kept in a location where SRIs have their filters, but the icebox gets it air down below where CAIs place their filters. As you can see, you will have the benefits of both a SRI and a CAI (pressure wave has a shorter distance to travel, and the air is cooler/dense).

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
o wow thanks for the replies guys!

It depends on what is causing the noise. Is it constant, or does it only happen when you accelerate quickly?
when im goin 60+, it whistles i press the gas, even lightly, but if my foot is off the gas, theres no whistling sound at all.

CAIs work great when you have a lot of highway miles. If you stay at low RPMs or have a lot of stop-and-go traffic, you might want a SRI. Or, you can get the comptech icebox and have the best of both worlds. The icebox's filter is kept in a location where SRIs have their filters, but the icebox gets it air down below where CAIs place their filters. As you can see, you will have the benefits of both a SRI and a CAI (pressure wave has a shorter distance to travel, and the air is cooler/dense).
my first priority is increased mpg, and the low growling noise, but htat isnt completeyl necessary. So for me icebox would be best? I know mpg is a highly debated topic, and i've been searchin all over google and other forums but can't get a straight answer

·
Registered
165 Posts
the cai doesn't really kick in until you hit the high end. do you have an auto or manual? if you have an auto, def get an sri because you'll always be in the 3k rpm range anyway

·
Whaattss up?
149 Posts
Just to add: SRI suffers from what is called "heat soak" because it will suck hot air from engine bay, which may actually reduce power and maybe mpg. Unlike CAI which grabs cold air from the bottom of the car. Noise wise it is not as loud unless if you really step on it and it actually sounds very addicting, in a good way :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts