Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
I've done a full swap of Interior LEDs from Superbright, fabricated illuminated door sills, angel eyes, Underglow, engine bay glow, all using their stuff. The number tells you how many LEDs are in the product. But pay attention to the angle of the light as well. If you want something to flood you need wide angle. If you want something more spot lit- narrow. Let me know if you need help. I have a TSXmas tree ^^. Haven't uploaded any new pics tho. Will after move

·
Tofu
74 Posts
Motoring Max on ebay provides great products.

Also, here is a guide for what bulbs fit what spots in the car.

Light Bulb Guide

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Replacing LEDs is straightforward. The DIY would be: take the stock bulb out. Replace it with the LED bulb.
One caution though, many LEDs are polarized, so if you plug it in and it doesn't work, flip it over and plug it in again with the opposite terminals.
Also, be gentle when removing the bulb covers, use tape on a flathead screw driver etc. If you look closely and the covers there will be a small slot to pry from. All the covers pop off.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reminds me of:

LED Car Interior Package | Acura TSX Car LED Interior Panel Lights

Looking to upgrade my interior courtesy lights to LED's as well.
Any suggestions? DIY's? Best practices?

I love this guy, he's very helpful, he has other videos for tsx also.

I didnt wanna purchase any packages though because I wanted everything white except for blue on the doors.

Motoring Max on ebay provides great products.

Also, here is a guide for what bulbs fit what spots in the car.

Light Bulb Guide
Thanks! This is helpful as well

I've done a full swap of Interior LEDs from Superbright, fabricated illuminated door sills, angel eyes, Underglow, engine bay glow, all using their stuff. The number tells you how many LEDs are in the product. But pay attention to the angle of the light as well. If you want something to flood you need wide angle. If you want something more spot lit- narrow. Let me know if you need help. I have a TSXmas tree ^^. Haven't uploaded any new pics tho. Will after move
So what would your suggestion be? I'm probably leaning more towards wider angle for better vision, but would you say more LEDs is better also? I wouldnt mind spending an extra few bucks for that.

TSXmas tree that's clever haha

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
I tried motoring max, but Superbright is cheaper. Quality wise I know the source of their products, motoring max I couldn't tell you. There's a problem with US suppliers buying cheap Foreign stuff and claiming it as "Local" products.
I've ordered a lot from SBL and when one of my led products failed, I emailed them and they just shipped me a new one free. Didn't even ask or pictures or to ship in the old one.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
how have you guys dealt with the issue of leds never turning off completely? I tried them out a couple of times but during the night you could clearly see the light on extremely dimly despite the switch being in the 'off' position. This turned me off of them and I switched out of led.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the one i have trouble with are the door lights. from SBL, its replaced by the WLED size, but there are several different kinds, like

WLED-x-x: 1 LED Wedge Base Bulb

WLED-x5: 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base Bulb

WLED-xHP: 1 High Power LED Wedge Base Bulb

WLED-xLX: 1Watt LED Wedge Base bul

Will they all fit into the door light?

how have you guys dealt with the issue of leds never turning off completely? I tried them out a couple of times but during the night you could clearly see the light on extremely dimly despite the switch being in the 'off' position. This turned me off of them and I switched out of led.
I'll let u know how mine goes.. which will be about 2 weeks

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
I think youre talking about the dome lights? I has that situation. I just flipped the switch to "door" and they're fine. When you place them in off they seem to do that.
More LEDs is generally brighter. Wide angle is good for flooding an area which you want. There are technical specifications relating view angle and luminous intensity. Basically imagine all the power of the light focused on a small spot, (very strong) VS all the power spread out over a large area medium strong but more stuff lit up.
Wide angle is what you need if you want to see the inside of your car well. Narrow you use if you want to specifically spot
Light something, like say the stock LED does on the shifter shifter.
I have blue interior LEDs. They are on the spectrum side where visibilty is considered weakest, and they're still friggin bright. Too bad You couldn't just see them in person lol.
The door bulbs I replaced with WLED x4. You want the light to shine out the covering so pay attention to the design of the bulb and where the light projects. The 1 watt ones only shine out the top, parallel with the base. I can't remember if the blink sits sideways or pointing out the towards the cover. I'm going to say sideways, so if you get that 1 watt, you'll be spraying most of the light into your door housing, not the cover.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Moshun you need to swap out blue LEDs inside, but do you already have red bulbs inside? Blue light looks sweet, but it doesn't provide the visible clarity that white or yellowish have (6000k-4300k). You can see everything, but reading etc is a bit tougher to do. I can fine. My eyes adjust. Just don't drive around with them on or else you get pulled over. :)

After looking at the YouTube video, I looks like the door bulbs face out, so your good to go with any top shine bulb. I personally don't like the 1 watts as I've had those go out on me, or partially go out if they have LEDs around the sides.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I noticed you said "vanity 3022" but usually the regular 3022 festoon bulbs you use for dome/map lights are too big to fit under the vanity lens cover.

I use these for vanity. On the link, scroll down until you see "Vanity Mini 3 Led SMT Festoon." I know those will fit for sure, and they're about as bright as stock, just whiter.
Festoon Dome Lights

Secondly, I'd be most concerned with whether or not the LEDs are going to last. I would choose bulbs that you know will last... the WLED-xHP are very good with lasting. The dice ones (3022-x9) from SBL are not good at all... they always burn out within a month or two for me. For dome/map lights, the Oracle 6-LED ones will treat you much better and should last a few years. Mine have been lasting since 2008. Oh, the 921-x12 from SBL also last very well for me in the door lights. Those would be a very good choice. I use the 921-CW12 (cool white), and I've never had to replace them yet.

In reference to post #9, I would choose WLED-xHP out of all those choices. The 'HP' in 'WLED-xHP' means 'high power,' so that will be very bright even though there is only one LED on it. Its a bigger and brighter LED. And it'll last.

Thirdly, the x4, x6 etc usually means how many LEDs are on the bulb, but don't think that a bulb with less LEDs is always dimmer than a bulb that has more. The LEDs very in brightness too (just like I said about the WLED-xHP). A x6 bulb with powerful LEDs will be about as bright as an x12 bulb with regular LEDs.

Over the years of trying different LEDs, you'll learn which ones last and which ones don't... trust me!

Hopefully this helps

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Less LEDs will not necessarily mean dimmer, if you're comparing high powered LEDs to regular. But then again that's comparing old technology to new technology.
I used that HP led as my front parking lights, and had issues with them there going out. (I believe the same one) Maybe heat related. I haven't cracked them open to see how many are wired in series or parallel, prob max 3, so that said, if one goes out you still have a series left. If you have one HP led that goes out, you have no light left. I believe, solely from logic, that the high powered LEDs will have a shorter lifespan, but even that life is long! You probably can't go wrong.
Definitely listen to Files if he says the festoon is too short, you don't want to have to bend the contacts to reach it if they are.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Does anyone know where to get super white LEDs? The ones I see posted above seem to be kinda bluish.
I got them here before
ORACLE LED Lighting from Advanced Automotive Concepts

Less LEDs will not necessarily mean dimmer, if you're comparing high powered LEDs to regular.
you're right, but more LEDs doesn't always mean brighter either. Its just that I've seen instances, but you're right, there are many times when more is brighter. I just mentioned because the OP asked about the x4, x6, x9 codes. And I meant this esp about the WLED-WHP bulb compared with something like a 921-x4. Plus the WLED should last a while

I also noticed the oracle 6LED festoon bulbs are about as bright as the dice 9LED bulbs from SBL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts