Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently purchased an 06 TSX and am just starting to have some issues with the interior lights flickering, and the Air Bag light coming on for about a second. At first the stereo will just pause for an instant, then as time goes on, the lights flick along with the pause in the stereo. I also noticed that when I switch the headlights from the low to the highbeams, this causes this flicker as well. After noticing this, I was testing what else might make them flicker, and when just flashing the highbeams once, it shut off all the lights completelyfor a second and the airbag light came on, and then went off again... After this happened, I noticed my driver side low beams wasn't working. I then manually turned off my lights and back on after a second and both came on again.

I read similar issues on here, but not exactly the same. I was told when I just bought the car that a brand new battery was just installed. Possible that this is what is causing the issue? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check the negative battery cable, it's a cheap replacement.

I also had this problem, I replace my cable, but I ended up having a bad alternator

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out and get back to you with the results. Did you attempt this swap before finding out it was the alternator?

*Edit: I checked the negative cable, and it looked in ok condition... A little rusty on the end connected to the chassis. I'll be honest in saying I don't know much about the differences in batteries, but I did a search on the battery now installed, (Mopar BB26R510AA) and it has 510CCA, which is 10+ than stock. I have no idea however, if this is a quality battery or not? The fact that it only happens after a long period of driving and the stereo playing, makes me think maybe the alternator as you suggested.

Any other suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

UPDATE* I took the car to autozone yesterday to have the battery and alternator checked and both passed well... This leads me more to believe it's a grounding issue, however what concerns me about that is with a grounding issue, wouldn't it be more random (such as hitting bumps or whatnot) rather than happening every time I turn on my brights and only after a good 30 minutes of drive time?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not really random, the issue with the ground is its inability to provide a proper connection, the rust at the grounding point can cause a issue. I replaced my ground with a batter cable from autozone part # dt412b

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really random, the issue with the ground is its inability to provide a proper connection, the rust at the grounding point can cause a issue. I replaced my ground with a batter cable from autozone part # dt412b
Derka, just a quick check on autozone's site, it says the DT412B won't fit my 06 tsx, will it work anyways even though it says not? I'm assuming so since it was a direct replacement for you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it took me so long to respond here, busy with the holidays. I have indeed NOT found the soloution... I also thought it was the alternator and others on here have said that fixed the problem for them, however I read your post and I am having identical issues as you are. Mine however, I can for sure connect to my stereo/electrical usage.. I've made 3 one hour long trips in the past couple weeks and tested different things with the loudness of the stereo/heat running/ heated seats etc. It seems like the battery is just being drained the longer into the trips I get, but then is good to go again once it has sat for a while...
for instance, I try flashing my brights, cranking the stereo, everything after the first 10 minutes drive time, and everything functions flawlessly with no dimming/flickering etc. After about 40 minutes in, I try flashing my brights, and all power goes off just as you said in your thread, and then back on again, and if I leave the stereo volume above 20 for periods of time, the lights begin to flicker intermittently... So its certainly electrical and grows worse the longer the time spent in the car is... The alternator did not fix it for you?!

Also, I have since discovered that I have a tail light that 60% of the time is out, but then will randomly be working again. possible it's shorting out someplace?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changing the alternator didn't resolve the problem. However, I posted this same problem on another forum and they suggested to replace fuse (#15 in fuse box) and the negative battery cable. So what I did was swapped the fuses with another in the box, and cleaned the battery terminals and also took out the negative ground cable and cleaned the ends as well. So far, the problem hasn't returned, but I haven't driven too much since it's the holidays. I'll keep you posted if the issue returns. But for now I would say definitely try replacing these two things first before shelling out money on replacing the alternator (which I did).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having a similar problem as well. The radio cuts out for a split second, the nav reboots, and I sometime feel a subtle loss of engine power. I've also briefly seen an amber warning light in the MID. Mine first started 6 months or so ago. I found a bunch of threads that pointed to the negative battery cable so I cleaned it up really well and the problem went away. It's come back again this week so I'm going to order a new negative cable and a new ground cable. $10 each. I'll post back with the results.

Here's a link to a good exchange:

Hi my 05 acura tsxs all electric power goes off for like half - JustAnswer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know, I'm going to try and replace all 3 grounds. Just curious, has anybody made an additional ground to the engine block? I'm used to seeing most of my vehicles with grounds to the engine block but ours do not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have a navigation system, so whenever the airbag light flashes on the navigation turns off, resets and so it also affects my Air/heating. Sometimes it seems like I even have a bit of a power surge if i'm stopped. Yesterday, almost all of the idiot lights came on and STAYED on (airbag, abs, e-brake, all that fun stuff). Took it to a mechanic yesterday and he said he reset everything so none of the lights are on. He tested battery & alternator and they were fine, and he said nothing happened when he took it for a test drive. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, if it does I'll try the battery cable thing and keep you guys posted. Hopefully this helps so you don't go to an electritian and spend money and he can't tell you anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts