Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post here and i wanted to get right down to business...

I am a pretty big guy, about six foot three in height, and a little over 250 in weight, i have decently wide shoulders and in all aspects am a big guy. Now, to give my size some perspective, at the moment, as a daily driver, i own a 1994 Honda Accord and can comfortably sit and operate a 5spd in this car.

I am in the market to buy an Acura TSX and from some of you owners out there i wanted to get some sort of perspective to the interior capacity of this car. Ive been told that this car is a Honda Accord in Europe so it is fairly large in size, i just wanted to know, does it compare to my 1994 accord with interior space, and would someone of my size be comfortable in a TSX, thanks.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club :wavey:
You'll have no trouble fitting into the TSX. I am 6', and there is a lot more room then what I require :D
I'd go down to the dealer, and take one for a spin :thumbsup:
Good luck!! :D

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
the TSX is very comparable to the '94 Accord as far as interior space. The only thing you should concern yourself with are the seats. They are somewhat wide bolstered, and have shoulder bolsters as well. Some strange body types have complained about it but most think its pretty good for tall people....like Joker said you'll, just have to go down to the dealer and sit in one. As you can see below the TSX has 1.6 inches LESS headroom than the 94 accord, however it does have 4-way power height adjustments so you may be able to get a better seating position than you can in your Accord.

2004 TSX 91 cubic feet of interior space
1994 Accord 88-96 cubic feet of interor space (depends on coupe/sedan/wagon)

2004 TSX - 1994 Accord
Front Head Room: 37.8 - 39.4 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 - 42.7 in.
Front Hip Room: 54.4 - no data
Front Shoulder Room: 55.4 - no data

Rear Head Room: 37.3 - 37.6 in.
Rear Leg Room: 34.2 - 34.3 in
Rear Shoulder Room: 53.5 - no data
Rear Hip Room: 54.4 - no data

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Hello and welcome :wavey:

I agree with the previous posts. The TSX should offer you, the driver, with ample amount of room to make you feel comfortable.

However, a big person on the driver seat will make it a real tight fit for the passenger sitting behind you (that is when you have 4 people inside the car). Just one thing to consider if you are planning to drive around a lot of people.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
We had a thread about this a while back:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227&highlight=height

.....and the subject has come up some other times too. This is a very individual thing and it varies from person to person, but what we can say for sure is that the TSX has a much better record of being comfortable for big guys than you'd think just from the car's overall size. Quite a few really tall people have found the TSX to have plenty of room, even some guys up to about 6'5". On the other hand, some people about my size (5'10 -5"11) have felt it's too small! It hasn't seemed to be correlated that much with the person's size, although somewhat correlated of course. You really have to try it, but there's a pretty good chance you'll find it fine.

Great other replies here, especially from PK. :eek: :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uhm, thanks for the interesting and informative replies gentleman/ladies, its interesting, i am a big guy, and i fit in my accord perfectly, and the main reason for me to create this thread was because the other day, man, i saw a TSX on the highway, and damn, it didnt look like the stance of the car was wide at all, and i thought, it would be a huge letdown for me if it wasnt comfortable at all, especially with the steering wheel height, is the steering wheel telescoping? that would be a great help, so lets see, oh, just for reference, can anyone give me a basic idea of how far apart the brake and acclerator pedal are? i know the clutch pedal always has ample room...but i worry about those other 2 pedals, like i said, im a big guy...i think this upcoming week when im not working i'll make my way over to the dealership, again, thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Confuc1ous said:
.....is the steering wheel telescoping? that would be a great help, so lets see, oh, just for reference, can anyone give me a basic idea of how far apart the brake and acclerator pedal are? i know the clutch pedal always has ample room...but i worry about those other 2 pedals.....
Yes, the steering wheel is telescoping. Although it doesn't telescope quite as far toward me as I would like (sometimes).

About the distance between the brake and accelerator pedals: I don't really understand why this would be an issue, especially in terms of any relation to your height. Maybe your shoe width, but not your height. But maybe you have a wide foot too. :p

Anyway.....I just measured it. They're about 3.25" apart on my car, which is the 5AT -- don't know if it's the same on the 6MT.
BTW that's just a tad less than the width of a business card -- which is what I used to measure it.

I oughta mention that it's a little hard to know exactly how to measure that distance, because the gas pedal is a little bit diagonal; actually it's an indescribable shape, being slanted at the bottom end and then becoming almost rectangular in the middle and upper end. But the main part of it is about 3.25" from the brake pedal (on the 5AT).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot Larchmont for doing that, i appreciate it, im sure they are similar in distance to the 6mt, man, thats perfect the wheel telescopes, the first car i ever drove that had that was a 95 legend GS, i love it ever since, but of course, manufactured for grocery getting, my Accord just has the tilt wheel...thanks a lot man...

i do have a wide foot, i didnt mention it, now that i read that last post of mine, it sounds like i was drunk when i wrote it, but i really wasnt, which is the weird part...so yea...

oh, if you ever get the chance, and its not necessary, but if you ever feel like doing the business card trick again, can you measure the distance from the end of the acclerator pedal to the foot wall on the right side of it, just so i can get an idea...if possible, if not, no worries, you've all been so helpful already, this FOrum is cool!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Confuc1ous said:
....oh, if you ever get the chance, and its not necessary, but if you ever feel like doing the business card trick again, can you measure the distance from the end of the acclerator pedal to the foot wall on the right side of it.....
Will do!
Unless somebody else beats me to it.

I'm pretty sure it's a very very small distance.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Confuc1ous said:
....can you measure the distance from the end of the acclerator pedal to the foot wall on the right side of it.....
Did it. Indeed it's small, but a bit more than I thought -- somewhere between 1.75 and 2 inches.

BUT......take it from me, this part of it won't be an issue for you. Somehow -- I imagine because of skillful ergonomics or whatever we should call it -- it feels to your foot like there's A LOT MORE room on the right than that. Maybe other things will be an issue for you, but not this.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Confuc1ous said:
i know the clutch pedal always has ample room...but i worry about those other 2 pedals, like i said, im a big guy...
I wear size-13s and XXL gloves ... but I've noticed that running shoes are getting more and more padded to the extent that my foot can "hang up" on the edge of the brake pedal. This is not just the Acura, it's on all our cars, and it's not the cars, it's the sneakers. My solution has been to buy a couple of pairs of "retro" sneakers which have minimal padding. The Adidas Gazelle from the 1960s and the Puma Speed Cat driving shoe. Whenever I want to try any sort of serious driving, as with "heel-and-toe" downshifting, that's what I wear.

The "Speed Cat" is $69.95. http://www.classicsportshoes.com

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
:wavey:

·
Registered
36 Posts
interior room

This is a good thread....I understand the orignal posters frame of mind in asking these questions. As a tall person your concerned about interior room before going to the dealership. It's no fun having the car sales person laugh because you can't fit behind the wheel. Then the words "let's get you into something bigger ha ha ha" I'm 6'5'' and I understand completely.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
The thread is about 3.5 years old. Anyway, for the driver, there's alot of room. I can nearly scoot my seat back so that it touches the rear seat. With the steering wheel telescopic and tiltable, I'm sure it'll fit any tall person. The problem is when you have 4 people in the car...since the rear seat doesn't provide much leg room even when an average sized person is in the front seat.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
lots of space....well considering that im short.....lol...but yu'll be fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts