Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a very rare issue with my 2006 Acura TSX that has been ongoing for nearly a year now. I've had a few mechanics check it out and they have been unsuccessful in determining the cause, so hopefully I can get pick at your guy's brains to help solve this problem. The first signs of the problem started with an intermittent Check Airbag System/SRS light flashing on while I was driving. It would happen maybe once or twice while I would be driving then the issue would go away for a few months before returning. Coincidentally when this problem occurs, the radio would cut in and out as well.

Fast forward to today, the issue is now happening more often, nearly everyday the "Check Airbag System" will flash on for a brief second and radio cutting in/out, and it'll happen 3-4 times while I'm driving to work.

Another problem that started recently coming up, is Check VSA/ABS/Brake light will flash on for a second, one right after the other then go away. I'm not certain it is related, it could be completely off-topic.

One time about a month ago my lights inside the dashboard console ALL turned off, radio turned off while I was driving on the freeway. This includes the speedometer, tachometer dashboard and radio, HVAC system briefly shutting off for a second, then turning back on. The car was still driving without any issues. So far, this symptom has only occurred once.

My mechanic suspected it was an issue with the alternator, so we replaced the alternator a week ago but the problem is still there.

One thing I noticed is that the SRS light will blink on sometimes when I turn off/on the Radio/AC unit so the issue is most likely along the lines of electrical.

Any ideas??? I want to bring it into the dealer, but the issue is intermittent so if I bring it in and the problem does not occur I might be out the diagnostics fee.

Video of the occurrence (forward to @~0:25):

Here is one with the radio cutting in/out when the problem happens:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was having the same problem. I found a few different threads where people had success by simply replacing the negative battery cable. I did that 3 weeks ago and the problem is gone. $10 and 10 minutes. I saw one person also had to replace the negative ground cable from the transmission to the chassis. I have the cable and will probably replace it when I do my oil next. Probably not necessary, but it's cheap. You may find that your cable looks fine and is secure, but I think the electronics in this car are just very sensitive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Im in the same boat, started off with the Check AirBag System light, then my Dimmer would reset from the brightest setting which i normally keep it on to the lowwest setting on its own, today the radio started cutting out on its own for less than a second and coming back on. Ive also researched the net on this issue and found the info on the Negative battery cable being bad. I will try to swap the negative battery cable out first and keep my fingers crossed that its not something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to rebump this thread but I just started getting this issue in my 08. Did replacing the ground cable help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replacing the negative battery cable solved the problem for me. It's been a year and the problem never returned. I never did replace the transmission ground cable so that's probably not necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the super late response but thank you everyone for the feedback. The negative battery cable was the issue - I removed it and cleaned the ends and reconnected and haven't had the issue since. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm terribly sorry to be opening this again but my query is very much related to this.

I drive a 2008 Honda Accord (South Africa model) which is the Acura TSX you guys have.

It is the 2.4l 4 cyl model with a manual transmission. The car currently has about 70000 miles on the clock with a full service history from the dealers.

About 6 months ago the car would flash "Check System" followed by the radio and tacho cutting out. Engine would stay on. Later on the engine cut out too followed by Check VSA, Check SRS, Check ABS etc etc all showing up.

The alternator was over charging and the battery had died. The local dealers rebuilt the alternator. Every now and then the car would still pop up "Check System" with no cutting out etc.

About 2 weeks ago the "Check System" and battery light came on. The rebuilt alternator was dead. Back to the shop and they rebuilt it again.

Today it flashed "Check System" again. Took it back to the shop and they can't find anything logged on the OBC.

Anything else I could be missing or should I just prepare myself to replace the alternator with a brand new unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm terribly sorry to be opening this again but my query is very much related to this.

Anything else I could be missing or should I just prepare myself to replace the alternator with a brand new unit?

Thanks
After 2 rebuilds... I'd replace the alternator and check all the cables.
Replace your serpentine belt if you've not done so in a long time, might as well, cheap and easy, make sure all the pulleys look ok and are in tension spec.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having weird stuff like this happen and I finally figured out it was the nav system. I shipped it to Alpine for replacement and all of the problems went away. Actually the problems stopped as soon as I disconnected it. Try disconnecting all of the cables from the nav system and see if the problems still happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts