Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I figured I'd take the time to share my iPod integration story and also start a thread on this iPod integration.

2003-up Honda/Acura iPod Integration & AUX input interface (W/ Factory-Nav)

I own a 2006 Canadian TSX w/navi that does not have the XM satellite button, but does have an AUX. After reading many many reviews on this site and others, I decided to purchase the DICE Silverline DUO seen here:

DICE Electronics - DUO - iPod, iPhone, Internet Radio car integration

The biggest reason for picking the DICE DUO was that I was told that it would work with text.

I purchased it through Sonic Electronix on sale. When it came in the mail, I was excited to install it. It installed in minutes with plug and play connectors. I plugged in my iPhone to find out it works flawlessly. After playing around with the jumpers, I was able to make CD-C emulation work as well as XM emulation with text. GREAT! I drill nice holes for the cables to run through the cubby in the centre and start using it.

A couple weeks go by and I notice that this unit isn't running very good anymore. I don't always plug in my iPhone so maybe that's why I didn't notice it. The unit would often freeze up my factory stereo. NAVI maps wouldn't load anymore, the screen would come unresponsive at times, then after re-starting the car, it would sometimes figure itself out and drop the XM1 and XM2 from the audio selection. The iPhone would also no longer be charging. Not good.

I tried a few different things but the only thing that seemed to work was taking apart the cubby, unplugging the unit and reinstalling it. So after doing this for a week I got fed up. I talked to DICE to see if I can get some resolution. The tech at Dice said to send it back and gave me an RMA in an e-mail. Just after receiving the RMA, I just had to ask them a couple questions, so I try calling back, no answer. I try again and again, leaving messages and e-mailing. But no one returned my phone call or e-mails.

2 weeks go by (thank goodness I didn't send in the unit yet) and I see that DICE units have been discontinued. They are now being run by Audiovox. GREAT. The DICE unit never worked properly and kept getting worse and worse. I ultimately hooked the consistent power up to a switch so that I didn't have to take my dash apart to reset the unit all the time. I was resetting the unit 2 to 3 times per day at this point.

After talking with Sonic (which are great guys by the way) they were able to take my unit back and give me a store credit.

They exchanged the Dice unit for the Scosche AXIPHA2.

I have been using the Scosche, and besides the weird name, this unit is amazing. I have yet to have a hiccup after a week of consistent use. The text on the screen works as well! And it shows a lot more text. The DICE was limited to 9 characters, the Scosche takes about 18 - 20 characters. Makes a big difference, most of my songs don't need to scroll. It's very responsive, the steering wheel controls work as they should. Navigating through playlists and songs are a little bit slow because the unit is continuously trying to play the songs as you are scrolling through them. But creating a few playlists can fix this. The instructions say that by changing a couple jumpers you can turn off the text and unlock the iPod so you can just pick songs right on the screen.

If you have a jailbroken iPod or iPhone you can download a tweak to prevent your iPod from being in accessory lock mode.

I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

For those looking into iPod integration, definitely take a look at the scosche. I didn't see much information on it when I was looking.

Scosche AXIPHA2 iPod® Interface & AUX input interface for Select

Hope this helps

-Rich

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I had the same experience with my dice electronics unit. They replaced the unit 2 times free of charge which was nice but the unit never fully worked after 6 months.

I will have to check out the Scosche product since my dice at this point is as useful as a brick.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm right now debating between the GTA or the Grom but thanks for the info on the Scoshe!

·
Save the Manuals!
63 Posts
Thanks for the great review! I bought the DICE for $60 brand new on ebay, but from reading reviews on Amazon I knew it wouldn't be that great. More or less for me it's just a dumb box to charge the ipod and get music to the factory radio. I found it horrible to use for playlist/folder navigation, so I put my ipod where I want it manually before I start driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So quick update on the scosche.... The unit has worked flawless!!! For 3 weeks now. I plug it in unplug it. I'm pretty rough on it as far as operation goes. I have yet to have to reboot it. The worst case so far has been unplugging the phone and plugging it back in. It's a dream compared to the dice/audiovox

I just bought a 30 pin apple extension cable off eBay for 5 bucks which should allow me to use any case with the unit. I will report back with my results after it comes in :)

·
Full Fledged Member
111 Posts
Ill throw 2 cents in for comparison...

I purchased the USA Spec HON-2 Unit a while ago that does display text and give you steering wheel controls which are great.

Oddly enough, it did NOT work with my old school iPod Nano, DID work with an Old School Classic, and DOES work with my iTouch. The quality is WAY Better than Aux In IMO, which justified the investment.

I DO get the same 'screen freezing' issues... IE you can't hit the OK button on the NAV screen when the car starts... However, it usually comes back after a few minutes, sometimes quicker. Its annoying but tolerable.

The one problem i still have is that i have a 64 GB iPod, with a bajillion songs... And unless Im mistaken, all these units only let you progress by one song - ie AIR - Track 1, Track 2, 3 etc... Beck Tracks 1-50 etc... So if I wanted to listen to say Talib Kweli i've got to push SKIP 1000 times. OR sort by play list and create a custom play list perhaps Im not sure... Anybody else have this issue or a quick fix for the screen freeze problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It says in the scosche manual that with text enabled it will drastically reduce the performance of the input commands. But without it, you have no idea where you are. It's kind of a lose lose situation.

I can tell you what I do when I want to listen to a specific song. If your iPod touch or iPhone is jail broken you can download a tweak called noaccsplash which will allow you to freely browse your music app without the 'accessory connected' screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Hon2 and I use playlists basically. If I want an artist that's far away, I put it on random. When it gets close to that artist, I take random off and skip by 10 then. I generally have no problems with it. I just don't like the start up pop mine gives me. Mine will freeze up the buttons sometimes but if I press 1, it'll come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.