Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was harmful to put just regular gasoline in my TSX? Is the only drawback performance? Can I damage the engine by not putting super unleaded in it?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

·
Registered
954 Posts
mprog said:
I was wondering if it was harmful to put just regular gasoline in my TSX? Is the only drawback performance? Can I damage the engine by not putting super unleaded in it?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
I believe that the TSX engine has a compression ratio high enough to require premium unleaded gasoline. You can try using regular unleaded, but you will probably get less performance out of it (lower mileage, less HP).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been putting in regular at the pump for a month now, and it seems just fine.

I am just wondering if I could be damaging my car by doing so. I can live with less performance given gas prices today. But I'd put in 91 if regular is causing damage to the engine./

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
954 Posts
mprog said:
I've been putting in regular at the pump for a month now, and it seems just fine.

I am just wondering if I could be damaging my car by doing so. I can live with less performance given gas prices today. But I'd put in 91 if regular is causing damage to the engine./

Any thoughts?
Have you noticed any pinging? If so, you should definitely use a higher octane gas... or risk damaging your engine.

Also, when I stated "less performance", it also includes lower gas mileage. Have you noticed that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, my gas mileage has gone slightly up since I purchased it (stress slightly).

No pinging at all. The car runs just great in my opinion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
mprog said:
Actually, my gas mileage has gone slightly up since I purchased it (stress slightly).

No pinging at all. The car runs just great in my opinion.
Well, if you've noticed no ill-effects (knocking, pinging, lower gas mileage), then you're probably fine.

Your mileage will sometimes go up slightly after the car has gotten broken in.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Even though you aren't seeing any negative effects right now, you may not want to keep using regular unleaded for over long periods of time.

I've read that using a lower than recommended octane can damage an engine over the long-term... you wouldn't want to void your warranty if you end up getting engine problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you paid around $30k for your car, why don't you pay a little bit more for the gas to save your investment? I wouldnt want to risk such an expensive car just to save a few hundred dollars a year... well. Juz my opinion!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ditto. Given the amount of money I paid for the car and my desire to keep the car for a long time, I would not risk potential demage to the car to save $150 or so a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts