Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new 2005 TSX owner and new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my question has already been dealt with.

The manual says to use 91 octane fuel and the inside of the fuel door says that 91 octane is required. However, the Acura Web site says that lower octane fuel can be used with resulting lower power and possible knock.

Has anyone used regular unleaded in their TSX? If so, how much knock did you experience?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I would not use lower octane unless you have a problem getting 91 octane. This car/engine requires high octane to produce the factory performance specifications. Knocking and retard timing can go as much as 50% power reduction depending on how "low quality" the fuel is.

Long term running incorrect octane rating is no different from buying a lower class car. Although no adverse effects, you most certainly aren't gonna be getting what you paid for to begin with.

·
Dr. Smiley
155 Posts
Why would you want to abuse your new baby that way? :laugh: If I am not mistaken by using lower octane rating fuel you would also have to visit the gas pump more often. In the end it pretty much evens out financially - somewhere down the line you'd probably have to get something replaced for using lower octane than designated. I don't know much car tech, but it's just common sense to me.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
hehe

rabbitman said:
I am a new 2005 TSX owner and new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my question has already been dealt with.

The manual says to use 91 octane fuel and the inside of the fuel door says that 91 octane is required. However, the Acura Web site says that lower octane fuel can be used with resulting lower power and possible knock.

Has anyone used regular unleaded in their TSX? If so, how much knock did you experience?
Put your flame suit on. (f)(l)(a)(

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
:nono: either highest octane or Evian for my b abe

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
You can pull off Silver (Midgrade) everyonce in a while, which is what i do if im low on funds, But U want to use at least the 91% octane , Never Ran it on Regular, and dont plan too

·
Registered
162 Posts
91 octane is about 1 dollar per liter here now...but never ever thought about use lower octane on my TSX...

·
Registered
256 Posts
If using anything lower than 91 wasn't a problem I'll do it especially when 91 are $2.50/gallon.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
2.39 USD for Premium but at least I get a little more octane - 93! :D

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
just gassed ,

US$2.55 @ 93 Octane

:mad:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i was curious, so i used regular for 2 tanks, and it stank.

you can feel the power loss on a already underpowered car, plus your gas mileage suffers. when calculated, yes you will save a couple bucks a tank, but you get crappy gas mileage so your filling my often....91 in the long run will cost you the same as running regular all the time.

other than that the power loss stinks, so might as well fill 91, and really...its 20 cents a gallon more than regular...in a 15 gallon tank that means you'll be spending $3 per tank extra. if you fill up twice a week, youre only spending an extra $6 a week. that means your only spending an extra $24 a month....i think if you're driving a tsx, you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
in california we dont have any 93...i know in other states they do.

we used to have 92 when everyone had 93...then it went down 1 number.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i was curious, so i used regular for 2 tanks, and it stank.

you can feel the power loss on a already underpowered car, plus your gas mileage suffers. when calculated, yes you will save a couple bucks a tank, but you get crappy gas mileage so your filling my often....91 in the long run will cost you the same as running regular all the time.

other than that the power loss stinks, so might as well fill 91, and really...its 20 cents a gallon more than regular...in a 15 gallon tank that means you'll be spending $3 per tank extra. if you fill up twice a week, youre only spending an extra $6 a week. that means your only spending an extra $24 a month....i think if you're driving a tsx, you can afford it.
What MPG did you get using premium vs. regular. Just wondering?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts