Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting either a 2008 TSX or a 2007 Accord EX V6 Coupe. I know the Accord will be faster, but will it be a significant difference?

If so, can I do anything to make the TSX faster? Will it be enough that I will be satisfied with the amount of pep I have?

Last but not least, will I get used to the difference in speed from a 6 cylinder or will it only get worse? Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello,

It all depends on your perspective. If you're used to the torque of a V6, you will be unhappy with a 4-cyl base TSX even with a 6-speed. There is simply hardly any torque. For about $800 used or $1200 new (+ installation fees) you can get a few bolt-ons that will get you another 30-40 hp and a bit more torque. But either way in order to make any real power you are going to need to be in the 5-7000 rpm range. That can get bothersome as you're always winding the engine out. Some folks love it though.

I came from high-torque V6 or turbocharged engines so the 4-cyl TSX has taken some adjustment. But it's a great car nonetheless, there are alot of benefits of having a 4-cyl engine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If your top priority/high on the list is power then this car isn't for you. Quite simply put, I bought this car because of it's technical aspects and design as well as it being a jack of all trades. And yes I am ok that it isn't a master of any.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
There's more than adequate power, but if you're looking for outright power you should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
365 Posts
By outright do u mean off the line?
By outright he means torque available most anywhere. A V6 or turbo'd engine will give you that, but not a stock TSX. The TSX can be quick with some bolt-on mods but it only feels quick when you're around 6,000 rpms. Do some research and look at dyno graphs, stock or lightly modded TSXs bring on the power in the high rpm range.

Read my thread on pulleys, I posted a vid there of 10-70mph acceleration after about $1000 of bolt-on mods.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Sometimes it isn't just power we should look for. If you're the type that loves to go fast going straight, then sure go for larger displacement.
I personally like a car that is well balanced in terms of handling and power. That is what makes the car fun. If it's ur DD then reliability also...but both being Honda they should be similar.
Look at the s2k and scion FRS :)

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
The TSX is a well balanced car.
I almost picked up a 07 Accord V6 6spd sedan instead of a TSX. After thinking about it and doing my research, the TSX is an overall better buy. Heres a few reasons I took into account when I bought my TSX

1. Excellent reliability - The TSX is made in Japan, and sold throughout the world.
2. Excellent engine - 4 Cyl motors are Honda's bread and butter. They are over-engineered. Look at all the old civics/accords still on the road. The accord's V6 still uses a traditional timing belt/water pump and maintenance can be pricier. The only upside? More torque and power and you can use regular gas. They aren't exactly un-reliable, but the k24 is a more stout and better engineered motor.
3. More features. The Accord EXL v6 sedan I test drove was nice, but the TSX has more features, and is an overall nicer car inside.
4. Better handling. While the accord was a very comfortable ride, the car feels heavy and cumbersome, TSX's feel more nimble on the road. If you are looking for a softer ride, the accord is a better fit.
5. Better looking car (IMHO)

The TSX may not be as quick and torquey as the V6 Accord, but it's not exactly a slouch either.
Mine has 107k miles. I just did a valve adjustment and the engine feels tight as a drum, and has never felt stronger

·
Registered
114 Posts
No way for anyone to know if you'll be satisfied with the power. Would you be satisfied in a CRX or a Miata? It's a similar deal with the TSX -- it's a momentum car with enough power to make it fun, but it obviously isn't a torque monster.

I personally think the car is fast due to it's great balance and handling, but it won't win many drag races for sure.

Stan

·
Registered
113 Posts
TSX isn't a straight line car and has zero low end torque, but it does have SOME pull once you hit the 3K+ RPM range. The 6MT Accord v6 coupes are nice cars, though. I think the TSXs handling and ride quality make up for the power.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,

It all depends on your perspective. If you're used to the torque of a V6, you will be unhappy with a 4-cyl base TSX even with a 6-speed. There is simply hardly any torque. For about $800 used or $1200 new (+ installation fees) you can get a few bolt-ons that will get you another 30-40 hp and a bit more torque. But either way in order to make any real power you are going to need to be in the 5-7000 rpm range. That can get bothersome as you're always winding the engine out. Some folks love it though.

I came from high-torque V6 or turbocharged engines so the 4-cyl TSX has taken some adjustment. But it's a great car nonetheless, there are alot of benefits of having a 4-cyl engine.
Have you gotten used to it or is it still very noticeable?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Have you gotten used to it or is it still very noticeable?
I've come to appreciate the TSX for what it is, the mods have helped a bit with that. At the end of the day the TSX still feels slow but my last car, which I drove for 4 years, had 337 wtq after being tuned, so anything I drive is gonna feel slow.

I think alot of it depends on what you're used to. Coming from my Subaru (337 above), TSX feels sluggish. But I also own a 1999 Ranger with a 2.5L, which has no power; I usually drive it a few days a week and the Acura a few days a week....after a few days in the Ranger, the Acura feels fast.

I will say I've come to enjoy and appreciate the ability to rev the Acura up to 6000rpms to get power, lots of people do. But sometimes I miss that crazy torque at 2200rpms with a turbo'd engine.

But having said all that, remember that there are things that a 4-cyl TSX will do that my Subaru or a V6 Honda won't - consider the quiet, luxury, durability, and amazing mpg of the TSX (I get 27-28 and I drive like a bandit) - it's a very well-rounded car and it was for this reason that I bought it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.