Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2008 TSX, and love it! But the steering wheel seems unusually hard to turn. It gives a lot of resistance, almost zero play in the wheel. Is this normal or could something be wrong with my car?

If it's normal what is the reason for this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know why it's so hard to turn, I'll leave that for the others to answer. But when I first got my 06 tsx 2 months ago, I felt exactly how you feel right now. I thought the steering was significantly harder to turn than my previous Honda CRV, so your not the only one haha

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Feel. Chevys are the worst at making the wheel feel like nothing. I have a video game for that.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
I think my steering wheel has a little bit of resistance compared to other cars I've driven, but I think it's a good thing than a steering wheel that is loose. Feels much safer, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Exactly as jville said. Honda/Acura have a pretty nice weight to the steering wheel for the most part to give feedback to the driver of road and car conditions. Toyota/Lexus is the opposite where they have no feel and take no effort. They focus on getting passengers from point A to B in the most comfortable, less effort possible.

·
Royal Flush Crew
791 Posts
I have a stiffer resistance on my 06 TSX compared to my sisters 2012 Toyota Venza. It sounds like TSX just comes that way, I don't think it's the power steering lines because I recently got it replaced and flushed at the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
652 Posts
I love the 'heaviness' to the steering wheel we have. Feels like I am in more control of the vehicle. I drove my friend's ILX when she got it and hated the steering wheel. It is waaay too loose.

·
Registered
714 Posts
play in the steering wheel? why would you want play?

and yes the steering wheel is hard to turn, if the car is stationary.

i wouldn’t say mine was that hard to turn when driving. it has the right amount of feel to it.

i mean who wants a steering wheel with lots of play a floppy response.

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
The heavier steering is characteristic of sporting cars and its a good thing. My wife's newer Corolla has lighter crappier steering feel - good getting here around - NOT enjoyable for me to drive.
PS: when I drove a BMW 3 series I believe the steering feel was similar to my TSX

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think I figured out the "problem"... just saw your other thread where you said your previous vehicle was a '99 Ford Explorer.
'Nuff said. :laugh: lol
I've driven a few older domestic, rear-wheel-drive based vehicles (including trucks), and the steering is usually a complete mess. I remember driving an 80's GM rwd car once when I was younger and I fet like I could barely keep the car on the road. Sad that this is all some people are used to, seems downright dangerous to me... (picture that 5'2" woman talking on her cell behind the wheel of a 5k lb+ SUV, we all see her everyday!)
Anyway, good luck with your TSX!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish mine was firm all the time. Some days she's nice and firm and some days she's loose and irritating. Not to mention the pulse in the steering wheel when I'm turning drives me nuts like my system is struggling with making pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idk, because I have an 04 tsx w/ +145k mi. I literally was able to make a hook turn with my pinky. Just recently I had to change my pump cuz it had a leak I seen when i was changing my serp belt. Swapped out the pump n now i gotta 2hand a swing. I at first questioned my steering rod but i hydro-ed n it cut so quickly i almost wasn't able to come out of it.(side note if anyone else is having poor turn ratio for a "U" let me know) now I smell PS fluid loudly, n my pass ft tire is covered in dried oil. I shudda never changed my pump... she was perfect. Reminds me of my 90 box accord.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts