Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been lurking around the forums for some time now, as I am dreaming about owning a new TSX. For financial reasons, I am trying to convince myself to wait until the fall, possibly getting an 06.

But anyway, I am a little concerned over the recent threads about problems with the TSX. Drivers seats moving, clutch problems, power outlets breaking, leather wearing, and paint chipping.

So my question is to those who have had their TSXs for a while, is the TSX a car that will last? Or are they plagued with problems, and I should start looking elsewhere?

Thanks,
Keith

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
keith said:
Hi,
I have been lurking around the forums for some time now, as I am dreaming about owning a new TSX. For financial reasons, I am trying to convince myself to wait until the fall, possibly getting an 06.

But anyway, I am a little concerned over the recent threads about problems with the TSX. Drivers seats moving, clutch problems, power outlets breaking, leather wearing, and paint chipping.

So my question is to those who have had their TSXs for a while, is the TSX a car that will last? Or are they plagued with problems, and I should start looking elsewhere?

Thanks,
Keith
The TSX is a great car. It is very rare that anything will go wrong with the car itself, or break down and leave you stranded. There are however first/second year bugs that seem to affect minor things in the car. I usually take the car to the dealership for oil change every 5,000 miles, so that's the time I will have them check out any current issues. If you are waiting for an 06 model, I suggest waiting until September when the 2006 Lexus IS300 comes out...TSX will definitely make you happy though.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
you must keep in mind however, that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. For all of the problem threads, you see twice as many threads where people are quite happy with the car. I've never heard anyone who has regretted buying the car, and wished they chose something else. Let us know if you have any other concerns....and all of this is coming from the guy who has power seat problem, power outlets broken, automatic transmission case that squeaks, rattles in passenger seat headrest etc.

·
Dr. Smiley
155 Posts
I am really happy with my TSX! And I have had it for a year. As far as TSX lasting, this is the first couple of years for the model I don't think anyone can really tell you that accurately. I have had no major problems with my car so far. My seats don't shift, my speakers are doing fine, my power outlets are working great, leather is doing fine it just has that well used look, paint chipping I chalk it up to the flying pebbles on the freeways. I had squeaks from the dash/windshield but my dealer had that fixed when I went in for my oil change. This is a great car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love my car

In my research and many, many test drives, I found no other car with this combination of luxury, looks and performance. I was happy with my choice then, and am still happy now. The TSX is a great car.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Hazelnut said:
As far as TSX lasting, this is the first couple of years for the model I don't think anyone can really tell you that accurately.
Remeber this is the Japanese Honda Accord - you can figure the same reliability record as the American Accord.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Nice posts all around on here -- not a lot left to say!!!

I agree 100% with what PK says in all the posts about the TSX.
But I wonder.....isn't the TSX more like the EUROPEAN Accord?
I know that it's our version of the "Euro Accord," which is what's sold in Europe.
But maybe, "more originally," was it the Japanese Accord?
I thought it was in Europe before it was anywhere else......

It certainly is the "Japanese" Accord in that it's MADE IN JAPAN, which our Accord isn't.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Very happy here and no never read anyone regretting - bitching/whining: sporadic (hey its part of this culture)
Everything comes at price -TSX really gives you a LOT for the money.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
larchmont said:
Nice posts all around on here -- not a lot left to say!!!

I agree 100% with what PK says in all the posts about the TSX.
But I wonder.....isn't the TSX more like the EUROPEAN Accord?
I know that it's our version of the "Euro Accord," which is what's sold in Europe.
But maybe, "more originally," was it the Japanese Accord?
I thought it was in Europe before it was anywhere else......

It certainly is the "Japanese" Accord in that it's MADE IN JAPAN, which our Accord isn't.
I know it's Euro Accord, but I thought it is sold in JDM too...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had my TSX for 4 months now and haven't had any real problems at all! I do notice a few sqeaks in the cabin when going over bumps sometimes but IMO that's not a big deal and it's something to be expected in any car. They're very minor and hardly noticable. Then again I've never owned a luxury car b/f so maybe i'm not the best opionin on that.

The TSX looks, drives, and feels incredible and I couldn't love it any more!! Every model car is going to have some minor quirks and when you're looking a posts from hundreds if not thousands of people of course a few of them are going to report problems. With honda/acura's unbeatable realiabity you can't go wrong. If you keep up the maintence and treat it like it's a $27K+ car then it will last like one. About the paint issue...my brother owns a 1989 honda accord and didn't have to get a paint job on it until about 2 years ago. And that car was in FL outside it's entire life! I don't know who is having real problems w/ the paint chipping and saying that it's cheap...? Garage it if you can and make sure you wax it regularly too. I'd don't think you'll have any problems.

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
keith said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Keith
Is the TSX the car to buy...how much are you willing to spend? and what features are most important to you in a vehicle?

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pocketkiller said:
Is the TSX the car to buy...how much are you willing to spend? and what features are most important to you in a vehicle?
I drive a 98 Civic Auto now, and my biggest complaints were always not enough power, no climate control, and no manual transmission. When I found the TSX, it fits my needs perfectly, and I think the price is more than fair for what you get. My concern was simply that if enough little problems plagued the TSX, would people regret getting one. And since the answer seems to be a resounding no, I feel more confortable with the TSX as my next car.

Keith

N

·
0 Posts
I hate to say it, I really like the TSX styling outside and inside. There is nothing out there that looks this good but I recommend you test drive the Legacy GT Sedan. If you drive that car and still decide the TSX is for you, then you chose the right car. To me the Legacy GT is like Troy Waters. He was a journeyman boxer some time ago. He never won a championship but he was a stud. If you wanted to make it to the top in heavyweight boxing, you had to make it past him. The Legacy GT is the same way. It might not be the ultimate car of all time but you HAVE TO drive one before you settle for anything else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been an owner / online forum member for several different types of cars, and believe me, the TSX forum (and the car itself) has WAY fewer problems than any of the others!

N

·
0 Posts
As I said before, I own a 2005 TSX and and a 2002 Subaru GT (non-trubo). My previous car was a Toyota and Nissan before that. While I really like my TSX, I feel it's important to be objective. The TSX is a great car but the Honda quality thing is an urban myth. It's not 100 times better than a Subaru or Toyota like everyone makes it sound. Two days ago Consumer Reports released their reliability survey results and the most reliable brand was Subaru, not Honda or Acura. As I said before Hondas are great but the Honda quality thing has to mesh with reality. Subaru warranties their clutch for 3/36,000. Acura doesn't. That's a fact not opinion. (Read Subaru Warranty Info on website; "Wear Items Limited Warranty)

Subaru Warranty Website

Consumer Reports Screen Shot

Note that CR reports 8 problems per 100 for Subaru and 9 per 100 for Honda. The point I'm making is not that Honda is bad, but so many Honda guys bash other companies with the quality club, and the facts don't support that. With that said, resale value is higher than subaru, but a lot of that is based on the quality bias. If you are buying a car for resale value, then get a Honda but don't bash the other brands unless you have owned both current models as I do. Finally, when I go cruising around town in my shiny red TSX, I hope I don't run into a Legacy GT Turbo, because he will eat me for lunch and spit me out before I even get out of first gear.

IB

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I agree with you Honda reliability is not what it used to be...part of that comes with all the extra gadgets and technologies they put in the car - probably more accessory problems then actual engine/driving problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts