Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do a JDM K24a swap as my K24A2 is showing its age, burning a lot of oil. The motor is still healthy still pulls but its burning a lot of oil.
In order to do the JDM K24a swap is it a straight drop in or are there things that I should be looking out for?

·
Registered
136 Posts
From what I understand, it's completely different. Your K24A2 has 3-lobe VTEC while the K24A is just intake side.

With that being said, you'd at least need a new wiring harness, and probably a different ECU. K24A2's aren't that expensive anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if its the K24A with the 3 lobe cams? From what i've looked at it has to be the 3 lobe cammed K24A that just a straight swap in

·
Registered
136 Posts
I believe only the k20a has a 3-lobe VTEC head as far as JDM engines are concerned. The RBB head only applies to the K24A2. If it’s an RBB head, then you should be fine.

Send a link/photos. That will help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
@_Sam where are you getting this info from? Regardless.... It's wrong. I've put a JDM K24A into a TSX... Twice. No offense meant.
@HunnyBuilt there are JDM K24A's that work in the TSX. Before you purchase, ask the seller to pull the valve cover off and send you a pic of the cams. If they have 3 lobes per cylinder on both cams, it's the right engine.
With that said, ONLY the long block transfers. The water jacket and accessories do not work with the TSX. I've answered this question multiple times, if you crawl through my post history or search K24A with my username you'll find all the details that make it work. Hint: you don't need a new wiring harness. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@_Sam where are you getting this info from? Regardless.... It's wrong. I've put a JDM K24A into a TSX... Twice. No offense meant.
@HunnyBuilt there are JDM K24A's that work in the TSX. Before you purchase, ask the seller to pull the valve cover off and send you a pic of the cams. If they have 3 lobes per cylinder on both cams, it's the right engine.
With that said, ONLY the long block transfers. The water jacket and accessories do not work with the TSX. I've answered this question multiple times, if you crawl through my post history or search K24A with my username you'll find all the details that make it work. Hint: you don't need a new wiring harness. Good luck!
@shandalo So all my current accessories, ECU and wiring harness all work with that specific K24A?

·
Registered
383 Posts
@shandalo So all my current accessories, ECU and wiring harness all work with that specific K24A?
Correct. Strip the new engine down to bare long block, including removing the water jacket it comes with, move all your stuff over. There is also a sensor on the USDM vtec solenoid not present on the new engine's solenoid, remove the plug, install the sensor. A couple of other small things I can't remember at the moment. If you don't find the info beforehand, no worries, you'll notice during install.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct. Strip the new engine down to bare long block, including removing the water jacket it comes with, move all your stuff over. There is also a sensor on the USDM vtec solenoid not present on the new engine's solenoid, remove the plug, install the sensor. A couple of other small things I can't remember at the moment. If you don't find the info beforehand, no worries, you'll notice during install.
@shandalo awesome! Thanks for the tip
Another question is the TSX type s the same motor as the USDM version, with the 3 lobes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes everything will work, you have to take entire water pump housing off Jdm and swap with your US spec, threads are all the same, engines are basically twins if you want to call them that. I bought a TSX belt and tried putting it on with Jdm housing and accessories and it was too short, not to mention due to the housings things are placed slightly differently as well, hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did my swap and have been driving around for a couple days now. The power seems way down tho and the vtech cross over seems non existent. Is this normal? I swapped the JDM K24A RBB3 into a 04 tsx. I'm running a factory ECU no tune and factory intake and exhaust. Exhaust is extremely worn and the primary/upstream o2 sensor code stays on/comes back after a reset. The car had a damaged motor when I got it so I have no bearing on what is normal. I do own a 9th gen SI with the k24Z and can say it is much quicker and has that throaty VTEC cross over compared to the TSX, but I figured the TSX would be comparable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did my swap and have been driving around for a couple days now. The power seems way down tho and the vtech cross over seems non existent. Is this normal? I swapped the JDM K24A RBB3 into a 04 tsx. I'm running a factory ECU no tune and factory intake and exhaust. Exhaust is extremely worn and the primary/upstream o2 sensor code stays on and comes back after a reset. The car had a damaged motor when I got it so I have no bearing on what is normal. I do own a 9th gen SI with the k24Z and can say it is much quicker and has that throaty VTEC cross over compared to the TSX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did my swap and have been driving around for a couple days now. The power seems way down tho and the vtech cross over seems non existent. Is this normal? I swapped the JDM K24A RBB3 into a 04 tsx. I'm running a factory ECU no tune and factory intake and exhaust. Exhaust is extremely worn and the primary/upstream o2 sensor code stays on and comes back after a reset. The car had a damaged motor when I got it so I have no bearing on what is normal. I do own a 9th gen SI with the k24Z and can say it is much quicker and has that throaty VTEC cross over compared to the TSX.
Do you know what year? My Jdm was an 08 so I just picked up an 06 TSX ecu to get it running that could be your issue, or that upstream sensor could be as well. Check over connectors and wires look for any torn cut or corroded. I got mine running but it’s into a custom setup so it takes longer to get things done than they would normally. I’ve read that vtec comes in about 6k rpm so yeah it takes awhile unless you get it reflashed which brings it to 4K or 4500k rpm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The JDMk24A rbb is the one with 3lobes cams.the USDM TSX from 06 to 08 has 205hp but the torque is bad.The JDM k24A is a better engine so far and it comes from a Honda Accord Type S in japan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts