Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided that a member thread is in order...

I've had this car for about 9 months now and am enjoy driving and modding it. I came from a long-term relationship with an STi build which was awesome, but it was time for something simpler. This 1st gen TSX caught my eye and after research I decided it was the right car. A great combination of luxury, style, performance and economy. With a few mods it's really shaping up. I'm not planning on doing much more than I've done already, I got the quest for power out of my system, I just wanted to do a few things to make this ride more liveable.

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

2004 TSX 6-speed, base model, satin silver metallic
Purchased 2011 by me

Mod list:
Go faster!!!
Hondata reflash
Weapon R header and test pipe
DIY cold air intake/snorkel removal/SRI
Spectre lifetime filter
NST crank and alt pulleys
Fumoto oil valve
Shift better!!!
Comptech short shifter
Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings
Acme shifter base bushings
Maven countersunk SS shift knob
Ride smoother!!!
Progress rear sway bar
Tein S. Tech springs
Megan Racing rear upper control arms
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 225/45/r17 tires
Hawk HPS brake pads
Look cooler!!!
Fastline Performance rear decklid wing
Spoiler King rear roof spoiler
35% tint
Vinyl tint overlays headlights, taillights, mirror signals
Acme front lip
Strut King pedal set
DIY department...
Blue LEDs inside
Roof and trim vinyl wrapped matte black
Debadge/A badges plasti-dipped black
OEM wheels PD'd/painted graphite
Rear lower bumper PD'd black
Front door locks shortened

Pics:

Reactions: Dcc3

·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
327 Posts
nice TSX...if you dont mind me asking I have an 04 that im thinking of getting the reflash done as well...how is it?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

nice TSX...if you dont mind me asking I have an 04 that im thinking of getting the reflash done as well...how is it?
Like everyone has said this is a no-brainer must-do mod in my opinion. The car doesn't get much faster, let's be realistic, but it does help some. You really feel it from 4-7k rpms, it's a decent bump in power. But the best advantage of the reflash in my opinion is driveability - the car drives and shifts and engages and accelerates in a much smoother fashion.

Try getting a used reflashed ECU from a member here, someone who's upgrading themselves. There should be a bunch available now if you do a want ad. Then you just take it to your Acura dealer and they will install and synch the new ECU to your keys and immobilizer. In my case, it cost much less than it would have sending my ECU to Hondata, with no downtime or labor. Hondata would have been $290 + $70 shipping = $360; I paid $260 total for everything and only waited 1.5 hours, and didn't have to do any of it myself.

Reactions: heather.hazlett93

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just added:
+ Hawk HPS brake pads
+ OEM wheels got 3 layers of Plasti-dip + 3 layers Dupli-color high performance wheel coating #102 graphite

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NICE JOB on the RIMS!!! thats exactly what i wanna do.....AWESOME!! CAr looks really good.....
Hey thanks alot. I planned the spoiler + black trim + emblem mods + rim paint combo and it's finally all finished after a few months of tedious DIY work. I think it looks real good together. I was considering one of those HIC rear window spoilers too but that might be overkill for my taste.

I did a good bit of research for the rims, wanted it to be reversible in case I didn't like it, hence the Plasti-dip. It looks good though up close it's not so smooth, the plasti-dip is textured and you can tell that it's not paint once you're close to it. But it doesn't look bad, it kinda looks and feels like a powdercoat job. And the paint on top of the PD got the color about where I wanted it.

If you do PD the rims make sure you get a can of PD repair from dipyourcar.com. It's only $7 and works real well to repair nicks. I haven't had any yet but I anticipate them as time goes by.

·
VBP CREW
232 Posts
i was going to judt do the duplicolor in the graphite but then i saw plasti-dip has a new gunmetal color!

thanks for doing this so we can see what it looks like!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was going to judt do the duplicolor in the graphite but then i saw plasti-dip has a new gunmetal color!

thanks for doing this so we can see what it looks like!
The gunmetal PD color looks horrible. I bought it and used it but did the duplicolor over it in order to achieve the desired color. The advantage of using PD here is that you can peel it off it you want to go back to OEM look.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I received and installed my Maven countersunk shift knob, stainless steel. I'll post a pic eventually, but we all know what this looks like.

This thing cost $60. This is an A+ mod for sure. The combination of the Comptech short shifter + Ingalls ETD + this piece is AWESOME! In fact, I'd rate the difference this makes as better than the short throw shifter. It feels quite nice, and sits lower than the stock knob. It is a good bit heavier which really makes a difference.

The car shifts so much easier. Thank you Maven, whoever you are.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reverse lens overlays and header installed

2 new mods recently, first my reverse lens overlays which are smoke tinted, give the back end a more aggressive look. I also just installed a Weapon-R header and posted thoughts on that in another thread.

Tails look good:

Check out those clean pipes!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First repair in a year of ownership - ignition coil #3 went. Ordered, fixed, car running great again. Just turned 130,000, preparing to install NST pulley set/belt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Installed Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings today. Easy install. Took a quick drive around the neighborhood, meh. Will post a few more thoughts in a few days.

EDIT:

OK this mod basically does almost nothing. Was it worth the $75? I don't think so. There is a very slight difference in shifting, the shifts feel a bit more smooth but not in a notchy way, but in a solid firm way. Can't explain it - it doesn't feel more like a Subaru (which I was afraid of), it's an improvement, but so minuscule that it doesn't justify the price.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I think the AMAZING!!! reviews that some report from this piece are because of (1) going from a solid aftermarket bushing this is much nicer (and close to stock, which they probably forgot the feel of), and (2) it was done in combination with several other shifter mods.

Reactions: JTrix215
1 - 20 of 55 Posts