Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did this and thought I'd share. I read where someone said that vinyl looks bad up close, but it's not true if you do it right. The product is bmw shadowline, cost $30, took 2.5 hours. I've done plasti-dip on grilles/trim before, and this is much easier and quicker, and looks better.

I did the window trim and the top of the grill bar on the hood. I'm liking it.

Pics:

Reactions: theaznboywunder

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
that looks great! gives a good cheaper option if/when the chrome gets tarnished.

·
Registered
371 Posts
OP, what was the size that you ordered?. I need to do my trim over again but I don't remember what size I had originally ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments!

I thought about blacking out the grille and door handles and rear "A" badge too, but I'm gonna keep them silver for some distinction. The car has a sportier look to it now.

OP, what was the size that you ordered?. I need to do my trim over again but I don't remember what size I had originally ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I got the 3 inch. I cut it in half (1.5") for everything except that rear piece on the back door, and the hood section. I have a good bit left.

How long did yours last now that you need to redo it? What happened, did it peel or fade?

I just picked up plasti dip the other day and now you have me thinking that vinyl may be the way to go. I'm glad I saw this post before I started!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Yes I really think the vinyl is the way to go on the trim. Plasti-dip is hard to use when you're taping, if you don't tape it just right it won't look clean, as it tends to stick to the tape and peel off with it. Then you're screwed. I've done it on a few grilles in the past and it's great for that, when you can take the grille off and do it....I've also used it where I've had to tape off, and it is very hard to get looking right in this regard. Especially on the bottom of the window trim on the Acura, there is a very very small rubber gasket between the door and the chrome trim. IU would imagine making that clean with paint or dip would be very frustrating. With the wrap you just cut it and tuck it in with a finger/thumb nail, and it looks perfect.

Also the dip has a bit of a rough texture; I think the smooth vinyl would look better on door trim.

·
未来へと
2,253 Posts
Looks sweet, I've been wanting to do this but I'm not sure where to get the vinyl or what brand. Now you got me convince :)

silly question, did you buy the vinyl at a bmw dealership? thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks sweet, I've been wanting to do this but I'm not sure where to get the vinyl or what brand. Now you got me convince :)

silly question, did you buy the vinyl at a bmw dealership? thanks
bmwshadowline.com

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
been thinking of doing this mod for a while, this looks great and bmwshadowline is definitely a good place to the the rolls of vinyl. It's already the correct width and comes with more than enough for all the trim.

+1 for an awesome writeup!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Which specific rolls did you buy and how many?
I have always tinkered with the idea of getting the blacked out panels but now that I see this I am definitely interested in doing this to my black TSX!

Looks good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you be able to post some more shots of that rear quarter panel? Done this twice with 2 different types of vinyl and have never been happy with the results of what I've done. Did you go over the rubber part that touches the glass or trim it right on the line between the rubber and chrome?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which specific rolls did you buy and how many?
I have always tinkered with the idea of getting the blacked out panels but now that I see this I am definitely interested in doing this to my black TSX!

Looks good!
1 roll 3" x 30' matte black shadowline vinyl is what I used, it's $19.95 plus like 6 bucks shipping.

http://bmwshadowline.com/purchase.html

Would you be able to post some more shots of that rear quarter panel? Done this twice with 2 different types of vinyl and have never been happy with the results of what I've done. Did you go over the rubber part that touches the glass or trim it right on the line between the rubber and chrome?
I'll get you more pics later when I'm home. The trick to doing this right and having it look clean instead of sloppy is that you ONLY cover the chrome. There are a few places where you have to be rather precise with the razor knife to make it look right. For example, on the bottom chrome piece on the doors, there is a very small almost unnoticeable rubber liner/gasket between the chrome trim and the door itself. I trimmed it above that gasket and then used my thumbnail to tuck the vinyl in between the chrome trim I was covering and the gasket. It looks OEM that way, very clean. Until I realized this, I cut it and it looked sloppy. So there are things like this that need a bit of diligence to achieve the right look.

I went to Hobby Lobby and spent $3 on an artist's knife for this project. The precision blade made this project much easier. Use a utility knife to cut the rolls in half from 3" to 1.5", save your artist's knife for the detail work on the car itself.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK here are some pics. The red arrow shows the gasket, the green shows where I tucked the vinyl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the pics greentrees. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that when I re-attempt this.

I was actually more interested in your approach to the rear trim part, the part that the arrow is pointing to in the following pic.

I've seen quite a few DIYs an no one else seems to ever have any issues with this bit but every time I try a blackout I fail at this part lol.

How do you find the shadowline tape in terms of application? All the vinyl I've used has had some air bubble free feature which has made it a cinch to install but doesn't make up for my failings :p

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That part is more of a challenge. I used a full 3" piece there and started at the big portion. I laid the vinyl across it from end to end rather than trying to turn it as I went up. That makes for easier application. It took me 2 tries there, it isn't easy. Hope that helps.

Here are some more pics as you requested (check out the rim from my other Honda in the 3rd pic!):

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually just plastidipped my chrome trim, almost only had a couple imperfections. In time I think I will probably go this route myself. Yours came out really good!!
Thanks I appreciate it. PD is an awesome product but unless you're very careful or very lucky, it will peel some when you peel the tape, then you're screwed. I find it works best on something without an edge, like painting an entire grill where there is no seam.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered myself a roll of this vinyl thanks to you :) This mod has been on my bucket list for a while, at one point i was considering getting the JDM trim which is extremely expensive.

Any suggestions on where to begin or any application tips? As in where did you start with each section, or how you made it look pretty flawless?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 48 Posts