Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone how are you all, Well 2 days ago I just clayed the whole entire car and you gotta see my pain WOW , The paint is as smooth as glass and it really shines and I finally got rid of all the inperfections out of the paint. Well The color of the car is pearl or pre white what ever, but when i got it last year I noticed that it had little rust spots all over the car. Since my good friend owns a detailing shop and I use to work, I asked hime what to do, he told me to claybar the car but it take very long. So i went one morning and did it. It only took me 6 hours I did it so perfect my old boss was like holy shit that paint really shines and I cant beleve how smooth the paint feels. Everyone was shocked. I was told that the rust spots came from the train and also brakedust. Well im very happy with it. After I clayed the whole car I gave it a very good coat of wax . Man you gotta see this I will post pics of it soon when the weather is better. Well I love my 2004 Peral TSX .
Its rocks !! :thumbsup:

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
wazupwazid said:
Hi everyone how are you all, Well 2 days ago I just clayed the whole entire car and you gotta see my pain WOW , The paint is as smooth as glass and it really shines and I finally got rid of all the inperfections out of the paint. Well The color of the car is pearl or pre white what ever, but when i got it last year I noticed that it had little rust spots all over the car. Since my good friend owns a detailing shop and I use to work, I asked hime what to do, he told me to claybar the car but it take very long. So i went one morning and did it. It only took me 6 hours I did it so perfect my old boss was like holy shit that paint really shines and I cant beleve how smooth the paint feels. Everyone was shocked. I was told that the rust spots came from the train and also brakedust. Well im very happy with it. After I clayed the whole car I gave it a very good coat of wax . Man you gotta see this I will post pics of it soon when the weather is better. Well I love my 2004 Peral TSX .
Its rocks !! :thumbsup:
what type of clay bar did you use?
other than time consuming, was it hard to do?

Please post before and after pics!
Thanks.

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Hey guys claybar really works on a car. I used the Mothers Claybar and you can really tell a difference in the paint after doing it. It is a little time consuming but in the end very well worth it!! I will usually claybar my car every 3 months to pull out rain water, contaminants, and other items out of the paint. You can pick them up at Advanced Auto Parts for like $15. I will usually wash, then claybar then wax my car!

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
never knew clay was that good.... im gonna need to buy a lot

G

·
Glad you had the time to clay your whole car... the only things is that you can't get lazy with the spray... I did a couple of times while claying my TL and the bar left some burn marks on the window... Took like 10 coats of wax to remove...

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Yes it has to be thoroughly wet for it to pull the stuff out of the paint. Also make sure when you use it.........that you do NOT drop it...once you drop it on the ground it is not useful anymore. I do think that you can use the claybar up to 3-4 times. When you do a different part of the car you have to roll the claybar up and knead it so the same side isnt used everytime. I have some before and after pics of mine...but I cant get it transferred to my computer

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
ForceSHO said:
never knew clay was that good.... im gonna need to buy a lot
That and better. Best way that I can describe it that it feels like buttered glass.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
man I just need to WATCH someone do just once so I have confidence I can do it *right*

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
man I just need to WATCH someone do just once so I have confidence I can do it *right*
i'm with you robert, let me know when the next session is guys, i'll be there.
and i dont mean weed! ahhaha.

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Hahaha well guys........I will make a deal with ya.........since I am in the South I will come and clay bar and wax your car and supply everything I need if you will pay for my plane ticket to ya? Any takers? =)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
lol well Spyguy, I live out on LI, and since i might allready be helping u on the Intake, and Robert wants me to show him how to detail (I do it for$ over the summer) I guess we can all figure something out this summer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take your time and it will look good

Well Ive worked in car detailing for years so I learned some stuff about paint and stuff. The tips I can give you all that wanna do the claybar to the car is 1 st use wash the car really really really good , then dry it really good. Then get a windex bottle and mix it with your car washing soap , I like to mixx about 70% soap and the rest water. the next is to get your clay bar, any brand is ok they all do the same so dont let no one tell you different, after you get spary your hands so they are comply soaked with the soapy water and also soak the clay. Then I do little sections so i dont overlap my self. I do half the car and work my way right around to the other side of the hood, Then when i am done I do the bottom plastic strip under the doors on both side then I do the front and back bumper skirt. If you want to do a really good job I would take my time and ONLY RUB THE CLAY ONE WAY KEEPING IN IT ALL WAYS SOAKED WITH THE SOAPY WATER !!. and a dry cloth to whip it. Once you spent about 4 to 6 hours LOL LOL and your arm is about to fall off then apply a coat of wax ***Paint Sealent is WAX **** so just buy a decent wax then wipe the wax off then give it a good buff and your car's paint (TSX) will kick ass and everyone will be like holy shit that a very very very very very good paint job.and then feel it , It will feel like glass or smooth as a babys butt........ :thumbsup:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
thanks wazupwazid !
1)What is the point of "drying the car really good" when you are gonna spray it with soapy solution ? i am a lazy bastard
2) Do you rub just once ? like from X -------> Y then move on to next spot or go back to X and rub again ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Personally I Use a Quick Detailer Spray rather then the "Soapy" Solution... U want to clean your car to remove as much stuff as possible, whatevers left, the clay bar takes care of

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no question that claying is good for the car.
Couple things I'd like to comment on:

70% of soap is way too much. While it doesn't really hurt, soapy solution dries faster and tends to leave residue on the surface. 5 - 10% of soap is sufficient. Quick detailers are great for this purpose as well, although more costly.

I see no reason for 6 - 8 hours. I've completed full details in this time. Claying a car such as TSX shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

There's really no need to clay more than twice per year, unless someone lives AT the reailroad (or some other extreme enviroment).

Here is a good tutorial on claying.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is the best invention since sliced bread.

Kmart has mcquires brand cheaper than anything I've seen. It is
white bar which I like to see when it is dirty.

The blue clay magic bar is harder and stiffer, not so good unless
summer temps. Mothers is fine but expensive.

I think the mcquires detail spray is better than others for clay, more lubricity
and doesn't dry away.

One observation. When you hit the really dirty spots and hear all
the crackling noise of the stuff coming off, knead the clay more often
so not to be rubbing this stuff in. And use light pressure don't press.
Let the clay do the work.

If you clay every wax, there is not that much bad stuff lifting off. It's
the first time, use alot of clay and knead it often.

I slice strips from a new bar, cut the bar in maybe 5 pieces and replace the pieces often as needed depending on how much stuff is coming off.

It really improves the wax performance and durability.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Theres no reason to dry it really well before claying just a decent amount to save from drying water. I use detail spray myself.

man I wish winter was over :bawling:

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Vancouver
9,175 Posts
OMG...... that's SO CLEAN!!......it looked like my CG when I first got it form the dealer!!......haha....haven't seen that for awhile.....

IT would be great if someone can post a vid about claying.......because i can't come down to the South!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reason for 70% soap and others !!

A people how are you all, Well thats the way i was tought, So thats the way I told you how I do it, The reason why we use about 70 % soap is cause even thoe you wash the car really clean, the sponge or wash mit does not get into little spots that are caused by little stone hitting the car when you are driving. So when you use about 70% soap and water with the clay you are removing surface nicks and other stuff, yes its true that the soap drys out faster so I use a big spay bottle to solve that. I ve worked in car detailing for about 10 yrs and I can say you can never clay a car in 45 min , if you do , dont bother doing it , even if the car is new or old. If you are going to do it, do it right and take your time. The other reason why we dry the car after washing it is so that you can see the paint and also rub the paint with your hand to see how bad it is and then you can determine what areas you really have to concentrate on, I dont mean the palm of your hand use the top of your hand. I find and think if you do it like me or some what like the way I do it your cars paint will love ya for it and everyone will also. Rember dont cheap your way out of it. Oh ya, for the question on how to use the bar, I rub the clay in 1 motion up and down thats for who ever asked about that . Well guys I hoped i sorta help you out in a little way and have fun people.....wazupwazid jjjjjjjj8

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
ok cool, thanks for the responce, Ill give ur 70% soap thing a Try next time I Clay my car.... Im in the Detail Buisness to, kinda a Garage Ran bit right now, but its not bad at all...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts