Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my front and rear a-spec lip delivered today! I did a search and found the instructions to do it.

My question is, should I do it myself or pay a local shop to do it for me?

On a scale from 1-10 for my hands on ability I would rate myself a 6.

I would rate myself a 10 on my ability to follow directions! haha

Who has installed the a-spec lip themselves? and what did the end result look like?

I just don't want this thing to look like crap when I'm done....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Shoot man I live pretty darn close to you. Unfortunately I don't have a lip kit so I can't give you any advice haha I really don't think it should be too hard. If I were you, I'd try it myself. Perhaps having a friend over as an extra set of hands my help as well. I'm guessing taking off the front/rear bumper covers would help out a lot. Good luck. If you need an extra set of hands, I may be able to help you depending when and where. Again, I have not done this before. Just giving you my two cents.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I know that the bumpers have to be taken off for sure. I just did my HID fog kit and had the bumper off (which I was nervous about doing). That was easy enough to think that I could do the a-spec lip as well. I may have to PM you if you're interested in helping. I live in Langhorne right near the Oxford Valley Mall. I'm off tomorrow and plan on getting it done if I do it.

I should be getting my front brakes delivered that I ordered tomorrow as well! I initially planned on just doing them tomorrow but now I got my lip kit..... decisions.. decisions...

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-image-gallery/50588-spec-front-lip-install.html

the front lip is hardest to do. It is a challenge to get all the double sided tape to stick all the way in some spots. Especially in this spot.

You'll definitely want a friend or two to help out. You will also need a small sharp knife to cut out the foglight holes. I've installed the front lip twice now and it really is not hard if you take your time and have people to help you. Lastly make sure you install it on a hot day so the double sided tape has a chance to adhere properly or have a heatgun/hair dryer readily available. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

·
fresh to death
2,643 Posts
dont waste your money having another shop install it...save your money, do it yourself, and learn something new...

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Just do it yourself. It's not that hard. An extra set of hands would be helpful. Regarding the double sided tape, don't remove the backings all the way before mounting the lip. Just pull it back partially and then fold them up so they stick out past the lip. Mount the lip like that and then pull the backings off to get a perfect fit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tekneek thanks for the advice! Jtrix PM'd me your DIY thread and I will most likely do it on my own. I don't have a heat gun but I did notice that you were using one in your DIY post. I guess I will have to borrow one or rent one from somewhere... I didn't realize that you had to use one, good lookin out.

psyk0tic thanks... I don't really like spending money on having others install things that I can do. You can definitely learn more from doing it yourself, I agree!

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
np. make sure you have a small sharp knife or dremel or something. Cutting out the foglight holes is probably one of the most nerve racking things about the install. you dont have to cut it perfect cause the black cover housing covers it but it still made me nervous nonetheless

·
Rocketeer
1,134 Posts
I installed the front and rear with the help of one other person. Most definitely best route is to DIY, to save a bunch of money. Was not willing to spend hundreds on install.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here are some before pictures... This is the first time I've posted a picture in a long time, I hope it works.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I managed to step on the left rear reflector and broke it before putting everything back together.... Other than that, I think I did a pretty good job. I did it all myself yesterday, I would suggest that if others do it going forward to get another person to help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts