1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting. I wonder if you'll be the first????

Anybody heard of anybody else putting LSD on a TSX?

(BTW for the benefit of those who know less about cars than drugs, that's "limited slip differential.") :D

Joker, do you have some idea of how much it will help, or is it like you'll just have to see?

And, as I ask about everything else: Any possible drawbacks?

Larchmont, who thinks Joker is gonna wind up with one heckuva TSX.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Yep it can and has been done. TSX007 over at "the other site" has it installed and seems to be impressed with it. He did mention that it added torque steer which really isn't hard to believe. His writeup is on thread #8536 if you want to look it up.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am not the first.. In fact, there is a post on another message board that is several pages long on just this ;)
There are huge benefits in having a LSD, in which I came to take for granted (in that my last two cars came with it). So not having a LSD on the TSX is very noticeable to me.
Words cannot even begin to describe how much better the car handles in the the twisties (with a LSD) when pushing the car hard (on the gas).
Larch, check out http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm as it will answer all your questions :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Took a look at that, and actually I don't think it gives a very good or clear explanation of LSD (unless I didn't know where to look, but I think I did).

Found a better one on a site of Modacar auto accessories, which coincidentally was for Integra LSD:

Designed to provide maximum traction that is most often lost in hard off-the-line acceleration, these L.S.D. kits are designed to integrate with your factory transmission. The unit will sense when one wheel starts losing traction due to track/road conditions, hard cornering, and/or torque steer. Once it detects the slippage, it will compensate by shuffling the power from side to side to overcome the loss of traction. This translates into better track or quarter mile times, and more efficient use of the engine's power.

I basically knew that, and it still leaves the question of how much of a difference it will make, also how much of a problem the extra torque steer might be. (I think we can count on Joker to be letting us know.)

About torque steer: The TSX seems to have relatively little torque steer for a FWD car, so maybe the car would tolerate a little extra quite well.
I didn't experience ANY torque steer on my TSX for a long time, so I got curious about how much I'd have to push the car to get it. I did get it, but I really had to try. :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The link I posted pretty much said the same thing, but you did have to read a few pages to find it.
The torque steer is not that bad, once you get used to it ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Dan Martin said:
Yep it can and has been done. TSX007 over at "the other site" has it installed and seems to be impressed with it. He did mention that it added torque steer which really isn't hard to believe. His writeup is on thread #8536 if you want to look it up.
Thanks for the thread reference. I did take a look at it.
BTW that was a great way to reference it. I haven't seen anybody do it that way before, and I never looked for a thread that way before.
It makes it real easy to find. :bowdown:

It's a very interesting thread, and they really got down to stuff. You can see that it's a complex subject, and there was a lot of misunderstanding (and out-and-out fighting) by knowledgeable people. One of the main questions was how the LSD would or wouldn't work with the VSA, and from what I can tell, that wasn't answered, despite a lot of discussion.

BTW coincidentally some of the stuff on that thread bears out some of the "controversial" stuff that I said on another thread a few days ago, but never mind. :rolleyes:

I think it's worth pasting a couple of the main things from that thread.
First, this great post on what LSD and VSA do, by flaming Dan (and Justin thinks I don't know what a "flame" is) :D

LSD's really do shine for accelerating out of a corner and that's the main reason why people should consider buying one. Seldom do both wheels ever have the same amount of traction any condition be it in a straight line or going around a corner. By locking the differential when one wheel starts to slip hence limiting the power loss to the wheel with grip, one can improve acceleration.
VSA uses brakes and throttle control to limit spin for safety but it has little to do with performance. In a 1/4 mile race, if you were using VSA and a wheel started to slip the computer would kick in and slow you down until the wheel has regained grip. You could always turn off VSA and just let the wheel spin until it regains grip but the during that time the wheel that does have grip is limited to the amount of power being put to the ground by the slipping wheel. An LSD limits the amount of power being sent to the slipping wheel and routes it to the wheel with grip hence improving acceleration and lowering 1/4 mile times. This is the same reason why muscle cars used to have Posi-traction to help out drag races.

And this little summary by TSX007 on the results of having LSD:

1. Most noticeable difference: TORQUE STEER!!!!!
not too bad but if your going to push the car to its peak, you better have both hands on the steering wheel! On the positive side, it's not detectable in normal everyday driving.
2. Coming out of a turn is a definite improvement. It's one of the reasons why I got the LSD.
3. Straight line performance slightly better on take off but wouldn't consider it a significant improvement. Regular acceleration no difference IMO.
4. VSA: pushed the car several times off a straight line and in turns and the VSA never came on. I'll follow up on this later if anyone is interested, just let me know.
So this confirms it, the Type R is compatible which means we can also assume that any RSX related LSD should work(Quaife, Spoon, etc.).

Thank you, Joker and Dan!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Joker said:
Just picked up a DC5-R LSD off of eBay (Thanks to WanTing), at a steal of a price $255 + shipping from Japan ($100)
you are very welcome Joker.
now, just wait till that baby to get here.. :woot: :woot:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man, Joker your feedback sucks.....just joking no hard feelings I hope?
Congrats on your purchase it's really a smart move I recommend it as a first mod for anyone that wants to improve the TSX, just wanted to drop a few words. First off, Larchmont we miss you over at.....you know. VSA and LSD my, my, still dwelling on that subject. It works BUT you really have to go balls out to activate it. My tires screech(is this a word?) when I push it hard especially on turns(significantly more than w/o the LSD) but I've only been able to trigger VSA on wet roads. It's awesome on winding roads it's really a sportier car with the LSD, not faster, but better handling of the road. Torque steer had to get used to but not bad. Any questions?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TSX007 said:
Hello, and welcome TSX007 :wavey:
Thank you very much for all of the info that you posted in your thread! With a heads up on the problem's they had with your install, I hope to be able to avoid them when mine is installed. Guess that is the chance you take being the first to do this. So again, thank you!!
That is my GF's eBay account, and yes -1 pretty much does suck :laugh: I was at the rink (ice hockey) when the auction ended, so I was not able to bid on it myself.
This is actually the second time I have bought an LSD from this seller, and I can't wait to get it installed ;)
Joker - who had no trouble with LSD, and VSA working together in his 04 TL :D

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
TSX007 said:
Congrats on your purchase it's really a smart move I recommend it as a first mod for anyone that wants to improve the TSX, just wanted to drop a few words. First off, Larchmont we miss you over at.....you know. VSA and LSD my, my, still dwelling on that subject. It works BUT you really have to go balls out to activate it. My tires screech(is this a word?) when I push it hard especially on turns(significantly more than w/o the LSD) but I've only been able to trigger VSA on wet roads. It's awesome on winding roads it's really a sportier car with the LSD, not faster, but better handling of the road. Torque steer had to get used to but not bad. Any questions?
Welcome to the site ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX007 said:
.....Larchmont we miss you over at.....you know....
Not really. Where you talkin about? :D

A big welcome, 007 -- great to see you over here. Hope you'll be joining us often.

Larchmont, who has a 100% rating on eBay and lemme tell ya, it sucks, because you live in dread of that first "neutral." :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually this was the first TSX forum site I signed up for, but I haven't posted in so long that I forgot my original userID :confused:
Thanks for the friendly welcome.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX007 said:
Actually this was the first TSX forum site I signed up for, but I haven't posted in so long that I forgot my original userID :confused:....
Well, that's forgiveable. :D

But, do you remember this? (one of my favorite all-time posts, which BTW was by Larchmont) :D

All you need to know is --

CBE = suck
87 = only if you have to
684 = best road in America
Hutch/Merritt = great twisty for TSX
Bronx Riv. Pkwy = ditto
Sprain Brook Pkwy = still have no idea what it's for
Saw Mill Pkwy = see Hutch/Merritt/Bx Riv.
Taconic = for the daring

Also that I trash-talked you a little after I called you "JB" and you didn't know what I was talking about. :D :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
larchmont said:
Well, that's forgiveable. :D

But, do you remember this? (one of my favorite all-time posts, which BTW was by Larchmont) :D

All you need to know is --

CBE = suck
87 = only if you have to
684 = best road in America
Hutch/Merritt = great twisty for TSX
Bronx Riv. Pkwy = ditto
Sprain Brook Pkwy = still have no idea what it's for
Saw Mill Pkwy = see Hutch/Merritt/Bx Riv.
Taconic = for the daring

Also that I trash-talked you a little after I called you "JB" and you didn't know what I was talking about. :D :D
I was gonna ask if you remembered..... you have a very good memory. Oh by the way, I blame the Navi, she told me to take the Cross Bronx! Damn her! And your right that was an awesome post!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX007 said:
I was gonna ask if you remembered..... you have a very good memory. Oh by the way, I blame the Navi, she told me to take the Cross Bronx! Damn her! And your right that was an awesome post!
Thanks, JB. :D

The Nav loves whatever it regards as the main roads. Reminds me a little of the "hub" system that a lot of the airlines use. You know that joke, that if you die in the south and you've lived a good life, you go to heaven but first you have to stop in Atlanta? Around here, that's how it is with the Nav and I-95.

Nav is great, but if you know the area at all, at least this area, it's not hard to be smarter than it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts