Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums and this is my very first post. I just put a deposit down on an 09 TSX on Saturday (only 30k KM on the clock, and it was driven by an older gentleman). Needless to say I'm very excited, but when I started snooping these forums I started noticing these cars are somewhat notorious for some frequently recurring problems, the brakes being the most frustrating. Upon doing some other research I found that there are quite a few TSB's out on the car. It really dampened my spirits. I currently drive a 1998 Honda civic hatchback (by choice) with almost 300k KM on it and still love the car. It does everything I've ever asked of it and has never seen a mechanic other than for regular maintenance. So the thought of frequenting the dealer with the new TSX is a little off putting.

Anywho, I'm going to be buying the car from an Audi dealership, because it was a trade in. Will that be a problem going forward in trying to get an Acura dealer to honour the TSB's? Does it matter that I myself didn't buy the car from Acura? What's the best course of action for me? Upon buying the vehicle, should I print out the all the TSB's and show up at an Acura dealership and request them to look over all the items?

Lastely, and importantly, if your TSX's have had any of these issues, has it diminished your like for the car?

Any help will be much appreciated? Like I said, I am a little uneasy about my decision to purchase the car after seeing all these nagging issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TSBs will be serviced irrevelant of the owner and/or purchase trail. The only reasons they might refuse to do the TSBs would be:
1. TSB may have a service expiration date
2. Vehicle abuse that would void the warranty
3. Previous repair not done in accordance with Acura specifications (southern engineering) :)

That said, I owned a 2009 Accord and now currently have a 2011 TSX Sport Wagon. The brakes on the 2009 tended to get hot and chatter under hard use (dragging brakes to keep reasonable speed on downhill drives, etc) Also the 2009 had a recall for rapidly worn rear brakes (mine went out in 14k miles). The TSX 2011 brakes are far superior to the Accord brakes so far. They don't seem to get too hot under load and seem to provide more even braking. Don't know if that is due to improvements between 2009 and 2011 models or between Honda and Acura models (my 2006 Odyssey had the same issues as the Accord).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
They have all recalls/TSBs done to your car on record. I got my vehicle from a different acura dealership and I called a local one to see if they were performed. They were able to look up my VIN on their database to see what was done.

I have a 2004 tsx which is one of the years that is supposed to have the most problems. My car burns 1/4 of a quart of oil about 3k miles. Not bad at all if you ask me.

I love my car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't think any of them would expire in your case. Car should still be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty (or barely out). Expirations typically happen 5+ years out and/or high mileage situations neither of which would affect you.

·
Co-Driver
670 Posts
I love my 09. I bought it with a good amount of miles but the price was right and the interior was mint. I haven't had any issues so far besides my factory speakers. I think the biggest issues are the rear brakes, oil consumption and ecu reflash, and speakers blowing out. So make sure all of that gets taken care of while it's still under warrantY. Another kind of annoying issue that doesn't have a fix is a no start/ flooding issue. I talked to a couple Acura techs and they said its the same for 09-12's. It happens when you start up the car for a couple seconds and shut it off. The next time you go to start it up you have to crank it for a little while before it starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love my 09. I bought it with a good amount of miles but the price was right and the interior was mint. I haven't had any issues so far besides my factory speakers. I think the biggest issues are the rear brakes, oil consumption and ecu reflash, and speakers blowing out. So make sure all of that gets taken care of while it's still under warrantY. Another kind of annoying issue that doesn't have a fix is a no start/ flooding issue. I talked to a couple Acura techs and they said its the same for 09-12's. It happens when you start up the car for a couple seconds and shut it off. The next time you go to start it up you have to crank it for a little while before it starts.
Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize the flooding was an issue with this car. Hadn't come across it on any forum before. Then again my research hasn't been that extensive. Is there a fix for the oil consumption? I think I read somewhere about a software update.

·
Registered
550 Posts
lets be clear, when warranty runs out so do FREE TSB.

thats why IMO TSB IS BS. if its broken fix it. dont fix it ONLY when i complain about it. and for free ONLY when its uinder warranty.

·
Co-Driver
670 Posts
Ya they do an ECU reflash that is supposed to help with the oil consumption issue with 6 speed versions. And the flooding issue isn't the end of the world but it is slightly annoying. Happens most often when I move the car out of the garage to wash it. Just have to crank a little longer for it to start up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts