Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this velocity stack and filter on K-Tuned's site. Just thinking of swapping out my AEM dry flow filter for one of these since many of you have dyno'd with quite a few gains with the velocity stack. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Velocity Stack Combo

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's a thread about a 3.5" vstack on the stock intake tube making more power than the ice box. That entire "intake shootout" bothers me and heeltoe sells the typhoon for $80 more than other sites. Theres a jdm carbon fiber vstack and cone, or you could just rig up your own. Just get a filter that fits around the vstack.

Kindest Regards,

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a thread about a 3.5" vstack on the stock intake tube making more power than the ice box. That entire "intake shootout" bothers me and heeltoe sells the typhoon for $80 more than other sites. Theres a jdm carbon fiber vstack and cone, or you could just rig up your own. Just get a filter that fits around the vstack.

Kindest Regards,
Yea, I've already read all the that when it first came out...just seeing if anyones tried this filter and vstack combo. I already have an icebox and this aem sri, just wondering if i would get anything out of this combo on my aem sri.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yea, I've already read all the that when it first came out...just seeing if anyones tried this filter and vstack combo. I already have an icebox and this aem sri, just wondering if i would get anything out of this combo on my aem sri.
All I can offer is that the price is near what I paid for my setup.

Kindest Regards,

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@fosco are you referring to the password jdm carbon fiber vstack?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, what velocity stack are you talking about exactly?
Please post a link or give more details.

·
Registered
217 Posts
@fosco are you referring to the password jdm carbon fiber vstack?
No I'm sorry, the JDM is like $150. My setup consists of parts from Spectre and totalled around $80. But my vstack is made out of some plastic-composite material where the one you mention appears to be aluminum.

Kindest Regards,

EDIT: This is what I was talking about: http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-...Stack-3-Inch-Universal-Fitment-P3874C379.aspx

The size is 3" but I haven't looked around for a 3.5"

·
flashprroooooo!!!
2,669 Posts
no one seems to mention BPi velocity stacks, but they seem to have proven gains and the research to back it up with their design. their site doesn't look too active and from what i've read, BLOX basically just ripped off their v-stack design and sold it as their own.

BLOX sells a 3.5" made from composite material.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you have a cone filter where exactly will the vstack fit? (isn't the cone filter at the end of the intake tube?)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
V-Stacks are one of the easiest ways to pick up a few hps.

Fluids (like air) dont like to move around sharp edges, it causes turbulence which causes friction which slows the speed the air is entering your intake which harms hp. A V-stack has rounded edges as well as being funnel shaped. This helps force the air into the intake at a higher speed as well as being a more efficient and compact column of air(more dense).

If you still have a stock IM and TB dont expect to see anything crazy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you have a cone filter where exactly will the vstack fit? (isn't the cone filter at the end of the intake tube?)
The vstack fits between the cone and intake pipe. You will need a cone with an inlet that fits around the outside diameter of the vstack.

Kindest Regards,

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you guys realise there is a velocity stack in your standard airbox lid?
It fits into two channels and is easily removed.

It has a 3.5 inch opening. The ribs moulded into the V stack can easily be cut off with a blade.
I bought a cone filter which has three rings at the opening which resizes it to 4.0", 3.5" or 3".

The 3.5" ring

Using the 3.5" ring, the V stack fits into it perfectly.

The filter I bought has a mating face that can be removed, (it's rubber and sits in a groove in the filter body).
So it can be removed and the bellmouth end inserted from the inside of the filter.

If you need a V stack, and don't mind making things fit, you already have one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you guys realise there is a velocity stack in your standard airbox lid?
It fits into two channels and is easily removed.

It has a 3.5 inch opening. The ribs moulded into the V stack can easily be cut off with a blade.
I bought a cone filter which has three rings at the opening which resizes it to 4.0", 3.5" or 3".

The 3.5" ring

Using the 3.5" ring, the V stack fits into it perfectly.

The filter I bought has a mating face that can be removed, (it's rubber and sits in a groove in the filter body).
So it can be removed and the bellmouth end inserted from the inside of the filter.

If you need a V stack, and don't mind making things fit, you already have one.

Wow great find! The vstack I have has a bigger bell and extends 180 degrees. I wonder if my setup yields more power with a larger vstack, vstack inlet, and larger cone filter and inlet.

Kindest Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I decided to try this setup using the Spectre Filter that I was able to pick up from PepBoys for $26. I removed the stock velocity stack and cut the tabs of the sides. I slipped on the 3.5 rubber sleeve that came with the filter over the velocity stack and attached the filter. When I slid it into the stock intake tube it was a no go, the rubber sleeve was just to thick. I just ended up wrapping the remaining plastic from the velocity stack with electrical tape until it push in snug like the factory air box.

After letting the ecu reset, I let it relearn the idle for a minute. I took her out for a drive and noticed immediately how much louder the intake sound has gotten and and increased throttle response. So I found a nice stretch of empty road and put it to the floor. First impression was a loss in torque and not much increase in acceleration. When I hit Vtech the gates of K24 hell opened up and the engine had to be heard blocks away. Overall I cant feel much of a gain but most butt dyno's will not notice gain near or much over 10hp. I do feel the ecu needs some time to adjust so I will see what a few days tells.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Previous to adding the stock V Stack to the filter I had the filters 4" opening clamped over the top of the stock intake tube. With that setup putting the foot down hard anywhere under 5000 revs had it gasping for air. Lots of noise but not much forward movement.

After incorporating the stock V Stack into the filter and using the 3.5 " sleeve, the V Stack fits tight into the filter and the neck of the V Stack protrudes out of the filter about 1 3/4 inches.
That fits snugly into the stock intake and can be clamped. There was no need for shimming it up with tape.

With the V Stack in place the pick up is noticeably better than the filter without it.
The sound is even different.

My theory is that using the 4" opening on the filter is either too big (stalling airflow) or the thick edge of the intake sticking into the filter was causing a lot of turbulence in the intake.

The velocity stack with it's half inch smaller diameter and smooth bellmouth seems to do its job. That is, the smaller diameter inlet increases the air velocity and the bellmouth smooths the laminar airflow.

Of course the greatest benefits are felt between 4.5 and 7000 revs, But that is where this motor is designed to work best.

ps.
Methodx= did you take the entire rubber inlet end out of the filter then drop the V Stack inside, then refit the filter inlet and pull the V Stack neck through the opening so the bellmouth is inside the filter, or is your bellmouth outside the filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I removed the rubber ring from the filter and placed the v-stack on the inside. I tried everything you did to get the remaining section and sleeves to mate with the stock intake but, it will not fit. The 3.5 sleeve is way to large to fit in the stock tubing and the 3in was still a hair to large also. I even removed the factory spring from the stock intake assuming that was the restriction. By using the eletrical tape I was able to get the right thickness and have it fit as snug as posssible.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 6" cone filter came in today and fit perfectly over my vstack (3.5 in 6 out). I noticed gains for sure vs just a 3.5" cone filter. I do notice loss of torque at wot under 5k rpms though.

Kindest Regards,

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, I removed the rubber ring from the filter and placed the v-stack on the inside. I tried everything you did to get the remaining section and sleeves to mate with the stock intake but, it will not fit. The 3.5 sleeve is way to large to fit in the stock tubing and the 3in was still a hair to large also. I even removed the factory spring from the stock intake assuming that was the restriction. By using the eletrical tape I was able to get the right thickness and have it fit as snug as posssible.
Yes my inlet is clamped over the neck of the standard V Stack.
It's a tight press fit on mine though.
Makes me wonder if there's a slight difference of inlet between the AU Honda and Acura. I can't imagine why, but maybe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.