Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just want some input from those who have swapped gears into the cl9/tsx tranny case. Have u had any issues with the speedo or cruise control?
Did u swap all the parts and bearings over too?

I recall reading that cruise control is gauged by 3rd gear and speedometer is determined by the final drive? Anyone confirm.

I'm gonna try k20 gear swap into the cl9 tranny case and just wanted some reassurance before I waste time and money in it! Lol

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The speedometer will be off as the teeth count on the 3rd gear is different. The cruise control uses the speedometer signal from the 3rd gear also and should work after your swap. Cruise control will not work if it is too off, like changing for a different final drive. I think all 6 speeds k-series transmission uses the same bearings, only the 5 speeds and maybe earlier models (04-05 RSX) uses a different input shaft bearing. This swap is pretty straight forward, if you have the complete shafts, just drop them in and you are ready to go. At this point, you may want to change your bearings and seals for new ones and check your clearances when rebuilding it.
Hope this helps!
J~

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I change first and second, then keep existing third and other gears, including FD, then that should be fine then wouldn't it?
thanks for the input J. +rep

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would not suggest to change the ratio as it will be weird driving it.
Look at this graph and you will understand why...lines are representing the ratio excluding the final drive.

You can correct your speedometer with Dakota Digital SGI-5.

·
Registered
709 Posts
By correcting the speedometer (after swapping a final drive for instant) with Dakota, I guess the cruise should work fine, right ?

·
Registered
709 Posts
So I did my final drive swap from 4.3 to 4.7.
The speedometer was off but the cruise control worked fine.

Then I used Dakota Digital SGi-5 C, to correct the speed .
It did correct it now the speed shown is the correct one.
But the cruise control stopped working after correcting the speedo.

Any idea what could be wrong ?

I've used this info from a fellow from this forum:
"
Dip switches are: 1-ON,2-OFF,3-ON,4-OFF

Input is the line from your VSS (on the transmission block and goes directly into your ECU), out2 goes back into your ECU.

So, you'll have VSS->input and out2->ECU.

"

·
Registered
709 Posts
Asking questions and answering myself - I love talking alone ... are you all in vacation ?

Well I managed to make the cruise control working after a lot of testings (tried different Outputs - it seems the speedo works with Option 1 and Option 2 , but with Option 3 and Option 4 is not working at all).

So I've put it back to Option 2 and switches back to
1-ON,2-OFF,3-ON,4-OFF

So I've managed to make the cruise control working again, after playing with the UP button , then readjusted the speed close to the same error range like OEM (for instant 100 km/h on the tachometer is like 96 km/h on GPS)

I still have some unclear issues:

1.) I've found adjusting the speed with UP and DOWN buttons is very very difficult - if I press shortly the DOWN button it looks like nothing happens you have to keep press the DOWN button for longer time .
How do you adjust your module ?
And if I keep press the DOWN button too long , the speed suddenly will drop to 0 speed - and the green led from the Dakota module goes off - and I need to restart the engine in order to have it working again - why is that ?

2). After restarting the engine there is 1 minute or 2 when the cruise control cannot be set, but after this period setting the cruise control to a certain speed works fine . Is this normal ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have to look into the Dakota units.. my Speedo is way off depending on gear/mph since going with a 5.0 final drive.

·
Registered
709 Posts
are you sure ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
why to use devices like Dakota, when FlashPro has options to correct this ?
Just revised the new features in FlashPro Manager. Updated the software last week but did not have any chance to go across.

From Hondata website:

V1.3.7 (25 Sep 2012)
• Added support for traction control.
• Added Hondata Vault.
• Fixed problem recording from FlashPro.
• [07 TSX] Fixed datalogging
• [07 TSX] Added speed adjustment (dash).
• [09 TSX] Added EVAP FTP and VSV switches.
• [CR-Z] Added S02, VTP & EVAP switches.

I am so happy and will definitely try that soon!

J~

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Since we're talking about gears, is the 06+ Si Transmission not a direct bolt up to our cars? I've been shopping for one and if its a direct swap it would be much easier for me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Jerome please let me know if cruise control will work after using Flashpro to fix your speed with custom gears in transmission.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jerome please let me know if cruise control will work after using Flashpro to fix your speed with custom gears in transmission.

My SRS reel is broken from when I changed my transmission, so my cruise is not working at the moment.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I just swapped RSX type S gears into my transmission and i'm having clearance issues with the speed sensor anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Are you using the speed sensor from TSX or the one from RSX.
Is the RSX transmission a low sensitivity or a high sensitivity type ?
Earlier RSX transmissions (up to 04 or something )had their speed sensor on the final drive (if I recall this right) and newer models (i.e. 06) have the speed sensor on the third gear like the TSX has.

So what kind of transmission was that from the RSX?

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im changing from the first and second gears from JDM k20a2 (if the JDM was any different to USDM which i doubt) and 4.7FD. I know our cars are read off the third gear with speedo and my engine builder seems to be quite confident it will work out fine.

PWPCL9, can you swap the speed sensor from the k20 into the CL9?
If the speed sensor is reading off the third gear, would keeping the CL9 third gear be possible?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just swapped RSX type S gears into my transmission and i'm having clearance issues with the speed sensor anyone else run into this problem?
I have never heard of clearance issues with the speed sensor. Make sure to remove it as you open the case and place it back when closed.
Is your case closing correctly?
Did you use your TSX sensor?
It might happen that the cases are a little different and the sensors are also. To be verified with part numbers...

Are you using the speed sensor from TSX or the one from RSX.
Is the RSX transmission a low sensitivity or a high sensitivity type ?
Earlier RSX transmissions (up to 04 or something )had their speed sensor on the final drive (if I recall this right) and newer models (i.e. 06) have the speed sensor on the third gear like the TSX has.

So what kind of transmission was that from the RSX?

This is right, except you meant frequency instead of sensitivity: Tech - K20 Transmissions

Question would be, what year your gearset comes from?

Im changing from the first and second gears from JDM k20a2 (if the JDM was any different to USDM which i doubt) and 4.7FD. I know our cars are read off the third gear with speedo and my engine builder seems to be quite confident it will work out fine.

PWPCL9, can you swap the speed sensor from the k20 into the CL9?
If the speed sensor is reading off the third gear, would keeping the CL9 third gear be possible?
By JDM K20A2, do you mean JDM K20 from DC5? JDM engine codes do not have any number at the end (They are all K20A).

JDM K20 from FD2 comes with a 5.062 Final Drive. 1st and second are the same as other K20. The 3rd gear of the TSX is a lot longer that the 3rd on K20's.
Doing so will put your frustration shifting to 3rd instead of 2nd. My two cents.

To answer your question on sensors, if you have a 02-04 transmission from RSX, the speed sensors are different. From 05, they are reading from the third gear. Even if you change your 3rd gear to the K20 one, the TSX speed sensor is counting pulses but the speedometer is off. That's what I did because I broke the K20 speed sensor. I do not know if the K20 sensor can be used on the TSX case though, they seemed very similar.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Can the TSX speed sensor be replaced with one from a k20, something like here ?
Civic Type-R Transmission (NPR3) on 02-04 RSX-S (Speedo fix) - Club RSX Message Board

Also, if you have 02-04 RSX gears (which doesn't have the speed sensor on the third gear) and if you want to put it on a TSX transmission can you still use the TSX speed sensor on third gear, tough not sure if my question makes sense ( I mean does the third gear need something special in order to put the speed sensor there ..)?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts