Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I own a 2002 Honda Civic Si (Yes, the minivan looking one) and am planning on putting in a K24A2 in exchange for the stock K20A3. The engine ships on the 15th, so should be here around christmas. What kind of numbers are you guys making at the track? I am guessing low 15's on stock motor in the EP, maybe high 14's. With Hondata K-Pro (works on any 4 cyl engine basically, will have to make a custom program for the TSX) the redline will be a very safe 8100 RPM's (1 knock measured all the way up to there). For reliability I plan on swapping out the stock valve springs for S2000 valve springs. The engine is supposed to be a direct swap, other than the 9mm higher valve cover which we will have to make a custom header for. i will be the first in the world to attempt this swap, so I am just wondering how you guys like the power. Noticable vtec? is 170 hp at the wheels a reasonable guess for the motor in my car? 150 some torque? Thanks for the help!

-Brett

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
good luck and welcome ! :wavey:

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Brettnyt said:
Hey guys,
I own a 2002 Honda Civic Si (Yes, the minivan looking one) and am planning on putting in a K24A2 in exchange for the stock K20A3. The engine ships on the 15th, so should be here around christmas. What kind of numbers are you guys making at the track? I am guessing low 15's on stock motor in the EP, maybe high 14's. With Hondata K-Pro (works on any 4 cyl engine basically, will have to make a custom program for the TSX) the redline will be a very safe 8100 RPM's (1 knock measured all the way up to there). For reliability I plan on swapping out the stock valve springs for S2000 valve springs. The engine is supposed to be a direct swap, other than the 9mm higher valve cover which we will have to make a custom header for. i will be the first in the world to attempt this swap, so I am just wondering how you guys like the power. Noticable vtec? is 170 hp at the wheels a reasonable guess for the motor in my car? 150 some torque? Thanks for the help!

-Brett
Yea your numbers sound reasonably close to some dyno's I've seen. Although I'm curious how you can get the 8100 redline, the k24 redline is 7110. The power is great, and I'm sure you will notice a huge difference in tork. I always thought they should use the K24 in the civic anyway, or at least make it optional. It could compete much better with cars like the mazda3. Also, I think you could do better with the 5 speed than the standard 6 speed on the TSX, because with the 6 speed, you must shift to 3rd before hitting 60 mph...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pocketkiller said:
Yea your numbers sound reasonably close to some dyno's I've seen. Although I'm curious how you can get the 8100 redline, the k24 redline is 7110. The power is great, and I'm sure you will notice a huge difference in tork. I always thought they should use the K24 in the civic anyway, or at least make it optional. It could compete much better with cars like the mazda3. Also, I think you could do better with the 5 speed than the standard 6 speed on the TSX, because with the 6 speed, you must shift to 3rd before hitting 60 mph...
I plan on using the stock transmition. Gearing is about the same for the transmitions I believe, as in the stock Si you must shift to third as well before 60 mph. This would change with an 8100 rpm redline on the K24A2 though. I plan on doing so with the Hondata KPro self tunable ECU. Even for now the 7110 redline would be better than the K20A3's of 6800. I am excited to see what kind of numbers I will be able to put down. As I asked before, is VTEC noticable? cause it sure as hell isnt on the K20A3. :slant:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brettnyt said:
As I asked before, is VTEC noticable? cause it sure as hell isnt on the K20A3. :slant:
As the owner of an '02 base rsx, I feel your pain. The k20a3 doesn't have the true vtec of the a2 and now the z, its more of a fuel economy thing. While there is a bit of a kick when the second runner takes over (around 5k), it certainly doesn't have the impact that vtec did on the old b-series motors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice, thanks for the info. It would deffinitely be nice to have that extra kick. The shipping date is fast approaching and I'm starting to get really excited. I have no idea what kind of parts we are gunna need to make this work.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Whassup Brett? Microsoft & JPax are doing right by you I see! ;) Good to see you here bro...good luck with the swap, being a former EP owner, I will be very interested in seeing the performance output of this hybrid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brettnyt said:
nice, thanks for the info. It would deffinitely be nice to have that extra kick. The shipping date is fast approaching and I'm starting to get really excited. I have no idea what kind of parts we are gunna need to make this work.
Here's a link to probably the best article I've read about the k-series:

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0209ht_family/index.html

As for what you will actually need for this swap, email the folks at Hasport (www.hasport.com) and they should be able to guide you. :idea:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike_G. said:
Here's a link to probably the best article I've read about the k-series:

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0209ht_family/index.html

As for what you will actually need for this swap, email the folks at Hasport (www.hasport.com) and they should be able to guide you. :idea:
Thanks mike! Hasport did not list an e-mail address and says not to call unless I have a question pertaining to their products :donno: This is the thing that sucks about being the first one to swap this into the EP3... I have to be the guinnea pig :hat:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brettnyt said:
Thanks mike! Hasport did not list an e-mail address and says not to call unless I have a question pertaining to their products :donno: This is the thing that sucks about being the first one to swap this into the EP3... I have to be the guinnea pig :hat:

Sorry about that, I've never really looked at doing swaps so I didn't know they didn't have an email contact. You could always back into a product question by asking them if they make motor mounts for the swap you're doing. I wonder if you even need different mounts?

Good luck with the swap, someone always has to be the first, right? Now all you'll need is the head and oil pan/oil cooler of a K20A2 :bowdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts