Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem for about 3 months now, or at least thats when I started to notice it. I've had the tire taken off a couple times, re-beaded and all the accumulated gunk scraped off my rim but the tire keeps leaking air. The rim is not bent as far as I know none of the techs have told me it is. I know the rapid temp change can play a big role but this is rediculous. I'm gonna have to keep having them inflate it every couple weeks. Is there anyway I can get a new tire out of this? The other tires are all fine, no leaks. What are my options? Thanks.

The tires are about 1.5 years old

·
Un-Civil Engineer
2,205 Posts
Is it cold outside or where you park your car. Like you said, colder temps = lower air pressure.

Did the techs check the valve stems? Those can leak and go undetected. I always check using some soapy water. You will see bubbles where a leak is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is it cold outside or where you park your car. Like you said, colder temps = lower air pressure.

Did the techs check the valve stems? Those can leak and go undetected. I always check using some soapy water. You will see bubbles where a leak is.

Good luck!
or stick the whole tire in the bathtub and start rolling, and looking for bubbles. there are products you inject, to fill holes in tires.

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
Yea you should do the soapy water test or see if you can submerge the tire entirely in water and see if you get any bubbles out of it and there is the hole. I don't think you can really do anything as far as getting a free tire out of the mix since it could just be chalked up to driving and getting a hole in it. GL.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Have you ever try Nitrogen? High-Purity Nitrogen Tire Inflation | PurigeN98, --------cost a little more to fill up, but I think its worth it. Stop by your local dealer and ask about it. i've been using it for about a month now and my pressure pretty much stays the same. they told me I don't have to worry about checking it for about 90 days.
air is made up off 80% nitrogen so I don't think paying more for nitrogen is a good idea. It's just a ploy to get more money from
customers

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i had my car into the dealership for service, they told me they couldnt find any holes from like nails or glass. when they did the soap test, there were bubbles along the rim line. they said we can re-bead this for you for like $20 or something and i was like no ill just take it to the place where i got my tires from (National Tire and Battery) for free. The guys there are good. They took the tire off the rim, got this power sander out, scraped all the stuff that accumulated along the rim, used the black tar stuff and put the tire back on the wheel. i watched them do it. they seemed to do a good job. then about 3 weeks later, same problem. i took it back and they re-beaded it again, both the inner and outer bead. its such a hassle to keep having to worry about it. its killing my gas mileage and its gonna make the tire wear unevenly and faster. i mean i dont know why the other tires arent having issues. ill check the valve stem. i hope thats the problem. so, no chance of me getting a new tire? if i do get a new tire i might consider replacing all 4 at the same time then.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
air is made up off 80% nitrogen so I don't think paying more for nitrogen is a good idea. It's just a ploy to get more money from
customers
:werd:

Just go to walmart and buy those electric tire pumper things for like 10-20 bucks. I bought the one that auto shuts off at a certain psi. Best investment ever, even at 20 bucks. No need to go to the dam gas station and yank on that long hose while trying to hurry up cause someone else needs to use it. Or go to Costco and wait in line JUST to get nitrogen fill up. Or have some random lube place pump different psi into each tires. I get consistent psi all around due to the auto shut off.

·
(: Daniel :)
3,224 Posts
when i had my car into the dealership for service, they told me they couldnt find any holes from like nails or glass. when they did the soap test, there were bubbles along the rim line. they said we can re-bead this for you for like $20 or something and i was like no ill just take it to the place where i got my tires from (National Tire and Battery) for free. The guys there are good. They took the tire off the rim, got this power sander out, scraped all the stuff that accumulated along the rim, used the black tar stuff and put the tire back on the wheel. i watched them do it. they seemed to do a good job. then about 3 weeks later, same problem. i took it back and they re-beaded it again, both the inner and outer bead. its such a hassle to keep having to worry about it. its killing my gas mileage and its gonna make the tire wear unevenly and faster. i mean i dont know why the other tires arent having issues. ill check the valve stem. i hope thats the problem. so, no chance of me getting a new tire? if i do get a new tire i might consider replacing all 4 at the same time then.
Well if you have no holes and they keep rebeading it but it's not doing the job then there is an issue somewhere else. Hopefully it's something cheap like your valve stem leaking.

I would ask NTB if they could replace the tire for a small fee or for free bc they may cover it but idk. Usually, when it comes to tires, it's not easy to have them replaced. A couple of years ago I had a bubble on one of my tires after a week and the shop I got it from were a real hardass in replacing them saying it was because I hit a pot hole or something eventhough I didn't. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to ask them if they will replace it or give you a discount to see if that's the issue. If that doesn't fix it then it would have to be something with the rim being bent or something. GL.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you go back to where you bought the tires they might pro rate the tire for you meaning they would give you another tire but you would pay for the amount of tread you used . Probably won't give you a free be but atleast it would be cheaper then buying a new one

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
squirt some fix a flat in there and let that seal up whatever is leaking or buy a new tire.
Most tire shops won't try to fix tires with fixaflat because they could find a leak and repair it but there could be other leaks that the fixaflat temporarly fixed. C y a for the tire places

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this problem for about 10 years now or more.I bought 2009 Acura TSX as new. I I've had the tire taken off a couple times, re-beaded and all the accumulated gunk scraped off my rim but the tire keeps leaking air. The rim is not bent as far as I know none of the techs have told me it is. I know the rapid temp change can play a big role but this is ridiculous. I'm gonna have to keep having them inflate it every couple weeks. Is there anyway I can get a new tire out of this? The other tires are all fine, no leaks. What are my options? Is it manufacture defect? Bc my daughter has also same problem. Looks like NO MORE ACURA IN MY LIFE. and will not advice also.
Is any other solution?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are they Bridgestone tires? I've had that problem before, but only with Bridgestones. I've had that happen on two different automobiles, my 08 TSX and my 08 X-Runner, with Bridgestone tires being the only common denominator. They were different models and different size Bridgestone tires.

Needless to say, Bridgestone tires are off my "buy list." In their defense, the second set of Bridgestones on the Tacoma didn't leak, but they did develop sidewall cracks after 6 years. It now has Michelins. I put BFGs on my TSX.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts