Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this car in February but I just finished getting the front doors back together. Is anyone interested in this ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really Randy. The first picture shows the oem speaker on the right. It doesn't bolt in; it sort of slides down and snaps in. It has lots of foam to make it seal. When you pull it; the hole is not round but of horseshoe shaped. I had to dremel this out to clear the magnets on the Vifa. Thankfully, there is over 3" from the mount to the glass because the Vifa are deeper. I made the mounts out of plywood (3/8 cabinet grade). I have a Dremel trio to help me cut round holes. The second picture shows how I mounted the tweeter and my x-over. I can't hear my tweeter yet because I'm on the oem amp and that signal is going to the dash speakers.
I was going to put these speakers in a EP3 and bought eBay adapters. They are brittle styrene rings that I was disappointed with. I sold the EP3 after getting my CL9. If your wondering about Vifa , They supplied speakers to many popular brands including Alpine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
get a 3/4" MDF ring for a 6.5" speaker, they fit fine. i did a alpine Type S component and had no fitment issues. Thinking down the road going to the big 7" components like the Excelon xr-1800p since i really like my midbass on the front stage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you say 3/4" , I used two pieces of 3/8" Ply glued together. Did you have to cut metal ? The Vifa is a PL18wo-4 , originally a 7" speaker in 4 ohm to be used in pairs in a home system. I cut them down to 6" to fit somewhere; it didn't work out and I had them laying around. Today I'm running wire, I'll post this in case it could help.

I need to hijack A2, A12, A3 and A13 and give them the signal from my 4x80 amp instead of the oem amp. Just a thought but I bet someone could cut out the factory speaker from the mount and fit a 5.25" very easily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking to install 6.5’s in the front door, curious if they are an easy fit.
The alpine component series are the only ones that fit that I know of but you can make a case for any component speker for that front speaker is a mid. To go to an audio dealer and to grab a 6.5 and to try to fit it may be a headache! Do yourself a favor ... Go 5.25 and know that the Honda Accord door speaker adapter brackets do fit the first gen tsx.

i actually fit an old pair of 6 1/2 in with no issues but that magnet was too close to the door and surrounding metal and kicked back which blew my amp 😩. So please ... Proceeds with caution if you are not going 6.5 component.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TweeterMount.jpg

View attachment 48249

"but you can make a case for any component speaker for that front speaker is a mid". Donnell
As you say, A Mid. If your new door speakers are powered by the factory amp, you turned them into mids. The DSP in the factory amp is sending the low bass to the 6x9s behind the back seats. I'm replacing those too but right now, I'm missing bass. The rear door speakers will still be powered by the oem amp but will be faded out.
I will also cut the wires to the factory dash tweeters at the amp. I have some Polk Db tweeters installed into the mirror trim; you can see one in the second pic. It should make better sound separation than reflecting highs off the windshield. Mounting the tweeters there was not easy either. Here's a pic of part of the process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As you say, A Mid. If your new door speakers are powered by the factory amp, you turned them into mids. The DSP in the factory amp is sending the low bass to the 6x9s behind the back seats."

all true!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I didn't cut anything to fit the 3/4" MDF rings with Alpine Type S 6.5" components. it was pretty simple. i mounted the 6.5" to the rings, then lined everything up and marked where i needed to mount screws on the door. i drilled some pilot holes to mount the rings, them ran self tapping metal screws to secure the MDF to the doors. after that i applied sound deadening behind the speaker, connected everything, mounted it all permanently, then applied sound deadening all over the MDF ring to make it as best an airtight seal as possible. I had room to spare and could go bigger on the midbass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you for answering my question to you. If I were starting from scratch I would be happy with the Alpine set but I had all this. I pulled it out of a car before I sold it. I loved that car so much, I miss it.
Alpine Type S

I didn't cut anything to fit the 3/4" MDF rings with Alpine Type S 6.5" components.
As you say and I believe you. I'll bet they sound great. Alpine knows how to spec a speaker. Most people should follow your path. I'm not going to try to convince you that a Vifa PL18 is better than a Alpine Type S ...........but it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I didn't cut anything to fit the 3/4" MDF rings with Alpine Type S 6.5" components. it was pretty simple. i mounted the 6.5" to the rings, then lined everything up and marked where i needed to mount screws on the door. i drilled some pilot holes to mount the rings, them ran self tapping metal screws to secure the MDF to the doors. after that i applied sound deadening behind the speaker, connected everything, mounted it all permanently, then applied sound deadening all over the MDF ring to make it as best an airtight seal as possible. I had room to spare and could go bigger on the midbass.
I also went with Alpine type s separates , however I made adapters from the stock speakers and had great results. The core type s tweeters fit within the shell of the factory tweeters so the whole set up buttons up neatly. The sound was very satysfying with types s coaxials in the rear doors for rear fill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also went with Alpine type s separates , however I made adapters from the stock speakers and had great results. The core type s tweeters fit within the shell of the factory tweeters so the whole set up buttons up neatly. The sound was very satysfying with types s coaxials in the rear doors for rear fill.
these are your alternative to fabricating your own ...

2X Front Door Speaker Adapter Bracket Plate 5.25" to 6.5" for Honda Accord

·
Registered
88 Posts
these are your alternative to fabricating your own ...

2X Front Door Speaker Adapter Bracket Plate 5.25" to 6.5" for Honda Accord
I was aware of those. The fabricated ones are a stronger and seal better. I’ve used the American international version of the adapter on a civic and it doesn’t fit as well or provide a solid enough drilling surface.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts