Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I got the answer and found the perfect solution to my problem.

I was looking for a larger spare tire because I recently realized the stock one doesn't fit over my rear rotors. I have larger ones with stock caliper relocation brackets. Anyway, I found out that some TLs came stock with a 17" spare tire. I assume all the ones with Brembos came with it. There just happened to be someone selling one locally on kijiji and I picked it up today. Here are some pics.

As you can see, they fit over my rear rotors and caliper with room to spare. I also noticed a couple of neat things. The rims are actually alloy and made by Enkei.

They also have holes in between the lug holes. This turned out to be very convenient since I have adapter type spacers in the rear and I don't have to worry about grinding down my stock studs. You can see my stock studs poking through in this pic.

I tried them on in the front and they cleared there too.

Lastly, being Acura rims, they're even hub centric. This really is a great mod for anyone with larger brakes in the front and rear. If you're only running larger brakes in the front, I guess it's not really necessary since you could always use the stock spare in the rear, and move a rear wheel up.

·
trespassing Jeep owner
2,731 Posts
You don't really want a "donut" up front anyway. I would move a rear wheel to the front and stick the donut on back, myself. But you found a good solution. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
You don't really want a "donut" up front anyway. I would move a rear wheel to the front and stick the donut on back, myself. But you found a good solution. :)
Great info here as well for those with just a front BBK.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
so assuming this spare tire will clear any bbk setup ? i was thinking bout using my stock wheel as spare being that im allready using 15mm spacer...

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Damn good info!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,227 Posts
so assuming this spare tire will clear any bbk setup ? i was thinking bout using my stock wheel as spare being that im allready using 15mm spacer...
A full size tire is heavy and takes up too much space in the trunk. This is a way better option imo.

I tought about this about a month ago while helping my brother change a flat on his TL-S.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
Just a quick question: has anybody actually ever had to use their spare tire before?? I too am in the dilema that my new brake kit is too large for the spare 16" steel rim, gonna throw that baby out cause it's just extra weight for me now, with absolutly zero usage..
Acc-Man

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
yea i was thinking that juan... shit is mad heavy....

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick question: has anybody actually ever had to use their spare tire before?? I too am in the dilema that my new brake kit is too large for the spare 16" steel rim, gonna throw that baby out cause it's just extra weight for me now, with absolutly zero usage..
Acc-Man
I haven't had to use it yet but you never know.

·
After 5-10 Guinness
592 Posts
.....and furthermore: wouldn't the money that you save from carting that dead weight around, be just as wisely spent on being in some automobile club, AAA, CAA or so?? what's that cost a year for roadside assistance, 70 bucks or so, if even?? sure you gotta wait for them to mosey on over to your "breakdown spot" which means time loss on your part, but if the car is somewhat quicker, (doubt that it really would be noticeable from say 20kg less weight) but isn't weight reduction a major factor in motorsports?? just my 0.02 cents (Euro cents, that's about fai dollah fitty U.S.... J.K.)

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally, I'd rather have the additional weight of the spare tire and pay the extra gas money and be a little slower. I avoid tow trucks at all costs. If your car is even slightly lowered, you have to worry about them scraping your bumper lips or exhaust. And don't forget about the hassle of having to be towed somewhere to get your tire replaced before you can get on the road again. If it happens at night after stores are closed or on holidays, you could be without your car for a while. With a spare, you just change and go.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
i found a set for $190 but like you said its good for some one that has bbk all the way around..... i dont know if i should get it or nor cuz i can always swap the back to the front and use my spare tire on the back...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,061 Posts
Will, with the 145/70/17 spare, do you still have lots of room between the tire perimeter and the wall of the spare storage cavity?

The Type S TL spares are difficult to find so I am thinking of using just any 17 inch spare from other cars but the tire on the spare is larger on the one I found.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts