·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda NSX Gets New Lease on Life

Flagship Coupe Reportedly Back On, But in a Different Form
November 22, 2010
/ By Peter Lyon​

The NSX lives, at least in a different form. According to one source, Honda never gave up its plans for an NSX successor. Even though the V-10-powered post-NSX concept came along at the wrong time -- during the economic meltdown -- and had to be cancelled, Honda engineers didn't completely shelve the project.

They simply applied a more market-friendly (and eco-friendly) sports-car approach to the company's flagship 2-door, giving it the latest hybrid gizmology. Completely different than Toyota's THS-II hybrid system, the technology slated to power Honda's new sports coupe "can be driven with either a clutch and an engine only, the engine and motor only, or the motor only," says our source. It will also offer a manual transmission option.

It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder or a 3.5-liter V-6, with the latter considered the sure favorite. Why do we think so? Once again our spies in Japan have uncovered a patent application that specifies a "V6 powertrain developing upwards of 400 horsepower." That makes sense, especially when you consider what 1 company staffer told us about Honda's desire to return to making sports cars. "Honda does not see the CR-Z as a sports car. It's a sporty coupe and a great first try in the hybrid-sports direction. To be called a sports car, a car needs to have the potential of an NSX or an S2000. That's what we need to aim for."

And as expected, the coupe will employ a version of the automaker's proven SH-AWD system, but Honda will apply NSX concept technology by fitting the rear-drive-based SH-AWD setup that enabled the test mule to lap the Nürburgring in 7 minutes, 37 seconds 2 years ago.

Using the front-wheel-drive Accord platform as a base for this car will cut R&D costs dramatically. Engineers will swap the front and rear around to create a rear midship AWD package. If the coupe gets the green light for production, expect to see it in showrooms as early as 2014. Still unclear is if the car will continue to be badged as an Acura here in the U.S.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
cant wait! hope this will bring some love back to honda..

·
Clutch Dump of Death!!!
830 Posts
As bad as it looked when Honda canned the NSX replacement this actually seems more practial for Honda. And others like Porsche are making a shift to high performance hybrids also.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prelude

Maybe it is bc the word Accord is attached to this rumor but this seems like it should be the groundwork for bringing the Prelude back. Toyota & Subaru have their coupe coming, Nissan has the Z & GT-R, Hyundai has the Genesis etc etc

I realize that the Accord coupe pretty much occupies the slot that the Prelude used to so all they have to do is differentiate it some like offer AWD or the SH-FWD again ...

I am still weary of the 2nd generation NSX rumors & think that it is more likely to happen once Honda decides to try to launch Acura in Japan again ...

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
I want one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It apparently will employ a modified Accord platform, and power will come from either a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder...
I sure hope not! As much as I love inline 4's, it just seems wrong to put a 4cyl in the NSX... Just as it's wrong to put a V6 in the TSX :laugh:

·
CL9 to ZF1
1,461 Posts
ok, after my CR-Z i see huge potential in honda sports hybrids. The CRZ has an electric motor paired to the Fit engine. If Honda makes a V6 with a more powerful electric motor, the car would be NUTS.

Im gonna start saving my pennies. I always wanted an old NSX, but goodness - If this gets anywhere near a dealership i may give my first born for it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yet Another

Date: February 04, 2011 12:39
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: LeBlogAuto (thanks to Frank Opperman)
Credibility Rating: Not Specified
Le Blog Auto is a french language automotive blog (you probably wouldn't have guessed that from its name), and today they are reporting that Honda CEO Takanobu Ito has changed his tune concerning the future of a super sports model from Honda. Based upon the Google translation of the article linked below, there have been several clues from the media that Honda has re-started the sportscar project that was put on hold 2 years ago in the heat of the financial meltdown. To add fuel to those rumors, apparently when asked at a "Tokyo Sports" function held by Honda today, Ito-san actually responded in the semi-affirmative when asked about if there were any plans to introduce a road version of the HSV. Below follows is the Google translation of the relevant text.

Today was the presentation of a Tokyo sports Honda for 2011, including the Super GT is of course a prominent place since the manufacturer officially committed. President Takanobu Ito (stakeholder, remember, the 1st draft as head NSX chassis) was the presentation itself, as is customary, and has not escaped the famous question. But instead of evacuating the subject, as usual, his answer was surprising: "I have something in mind." Although not a definitive yes and frank, this is a clear change of attitude vis-à-vis past denials.

I can personally attest to the fact that in past media conferences, Ito-san has very quickly shot down any notion that Honda would be working on an NSX successor, so this report is definitely something very encouraging for Honda performance enthusiasts.

Source: LeBlogAuto

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Confirmed

Heads up, Hondaphiles – it looks like the NSX has been dug out of storage and plopped back on the table as a candidate for production. Company president Takashi Ito has announced that he's jump-starting development on the supercar. As you may recall, the beast was unceremoniously put to bed after the global economy gutted itself back in 2008. At the time, the project sailed under the HSV-010 moniker, and Honda even went so far as to campaign a version of the machine in the Japanese Super GT series.

Since then, the supercar segment has all but exploded with new metal. Mercedes-Benz jumped into the action with its SLS AMG, Lexus came to the party with the high-tech LFA and old-timers like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R have been enjoying their own slice of supercar territory. We're all for the notion of a resurrected Honda fighter, but we're still going to treat this 1 with a healthy dose of skepticism.

We've been burnt before.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Article

Honda Motor Co. officially announced its plan to develop a high-performance sports car to serve as a successor to the now-defunct NSX.

President Takanobu Ito confirmed earlier reports about the car at a press conference held Friday to highlight Honda's 2011 motor sports activities.

The new model will be based on the 3.4-liter HSV-010GT race car. Honda runs the car on the Super GT auto racing circuit.

Ito said he wanted to commercialize the HSV because other automakers participate in the competition with racing versions based on cars sold on the market.

"I think Honda should respect the history of the Super GT competition (as a stock-car race)," Ito said.

Ito also indicated Honda may develop a low-priced small sports car.

"There are 2 types of sports cars--affordable and high-performance. I hope we will be able to market both," he said.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts