Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 TSX

I have been maintaining the leather seats with Lexol ever since i bought it new. However I’m very frustrated as my Driver’s Seat bolster is now busted (region near my right elbow ....facing the center console)

To add insult to injury, Acura clearly is not using "Leather" for the whole seat in these cars. I know for a fact since the side pieces (facing the center console) feel like a different material & it's this piece on the driver’s side seat that has burst. It has a gauze like material underneath the outer "plastic" ..... no way it's leather.

Frankly I now doubt there is any real leather on these seats. Such a shame.

Is anyone else having trouble with the "leather" in their cars?

I have 94,000+ miles on it - You think i have any chance of getting Acura to do something about it?

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
I don't think Acura will do anything. And yeah I think either half or none of the seats are true leather. Maybe the middle but I am not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OMFG I am having the same problem and feel the same way you. I have the 'rip' on the door panel where my elbow goes, and RECENTLY found a tear on the driver seat by my right should on the side of the seat. Acura really jipped this one

·
Somaek juseyo?
1,287 Posts
Most cars, except for really high end ones (above Audi, BMW. think Bentley), use a mix of real and fake leather. I think Acura uses leather where your ass and back go, the perferated sections. Everything else from what I've read on this forum is a "plastique" or "leatherette" material. It's saves on cost and a lot of times is more durable than actual leather I believe. Either way, I use Chemical Brothers leather cleaner and conditioner on both. Mine are in excellent condition.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,650 Posts
Most cars, except for really high end ones (above Audi, BMW. think Bentley), use a mix of real and fake leather. I think Acura uses leather where your ass and back go, the perferated sections. Everything else from what I've read on this forum is a "plastique" or "leatherette" material. It's saves on cost and a lot of times is more durable than actual leather I believe. Either way, I use Chemical Brothers leather cleaner and conditioner on both. Mine are in excellent condition.
Yeah that is what I have heard and read that the middle of the seat are real leather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Description of damage & Repair that was just done:

Side of seat is Vinyl. Basicaly everything not perferated is Vinyl.
At the seam on the right bolster (closest to center console) the Vinyl began to bubble up (separating from material beneath) & began to tear away.

Note the seam/stich itself was fine.
It was the garbage Vinyl used that was breaking away.

A “patch” was made/applied. Think of it as bondo for Vinyl.
Then it was painted to match the rest of seat.

I would give the end result a grade 7.5/ 8 out of 10.
the Vinyl was super thin & thus a pain to work with.
the color match to the rest of the seat was 10 out of 10 though.

All in all – it looks way better than it did before, but not perfect.
The good thing is, if I don’t point it out = no one will notice it. Fine by me.

I had the work done by:

FIBRENEW in CT

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Want to protect your faux leather?

User Aerospace 303 protectant. carefully remove any debris, spray, wipe, let sit, buff off gently.

You can go a step further and buy aerospace vinyl and fabric cleaner.

I use this on my MB-tex. Like aforementioned, most cars come with this leather looking like vinyl. It lasts longer, absorbs water less and is less porous; making it less prone to dyes and stains.

Real leather is nice but simply put, it doesnt last.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A side note,

Went to Dealer Saturday & took a look at the used car line.

All the 2010/2011 cars had the same kind of tell-tale signs on the driver’s seat. A certain amount of "spider webbing" on the bolster is expected no doubt. But you can see the trend, if those seats don't get taken care of - they will all crack.

However when i went to look at the 2008 TSX - you could clearly see that Acura used better materials for the 1st gen TSX compared to the 2nd gen! The 2008 was older with more miles but the driver’s seat looked better than a mint 2010 with only 21k miles.

:mecry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drivers seat tear

My girls 09' black has I think the same tear on the side of the seat,looks like the material is super thin.Brought it to the dealer cuz it was still under the CPO bumper to bumper warranty and they would not fix it.Gonna have to take it to an upholstery guy and have it done

·
Registered
12 Posts
Italiano !! I can see the problem from the picture in your Avatar !! Too much strain on the shoulder harnesses causes undue wear on the seats. She can sit in my car for awhile !! Craig

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2010 TSX

I have been maintaining the leather seats with Lexol ever since i bought it new. However I’m very frustrated as my Driver’s Seat bolster is now busted (region near my right elbow ....facing the center console)

To add insult to injury, Acura clearly is not using "Leather" for the whole seat in these cars. I know for a fact since the side pieces (facing the center console) feel like a different material & it's this piece on the driver’s side seat that has burst. It has a gauze like material underneath the outer "plastic" ..... no way it's leather.

Frankly I now doubt there is any real leather on these seats. Such a shame.

Is anyone else having trouble with the "leather" in their cars?

I have 94,000+ miles on it - You think i have any chance of getting Acura to do something about it?
mine just started doing this. i just put 95K on my 2013 acura tsx.. windows not tinted but, i will get done.. but, what did you do to fix this?? it isnt real leather..like faux leather

1 - 11 of 11 Posts