Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the consensus is that only the perforated inserts on our TSX seats are real leather. Is this the consensus?

If so, how do we think the relative wear between the leather seat and vinyl? bolsters will be?

My last car had leather trimmed seating, but all of the seating surfaces were leather, only the sides, on which you didn't sit, were not leather.

Just a curiosity.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes, it's not ALL leather. I've lost track of what's the real leather and what isn't, and I personally don't care -- but I know a lot of people do, and some have gotten mad when they found out. My understanding is that it's very common for "leather" seats to NOT be completely leather although in many or most of the "finer" cars they are all leather, and that these "combination" leather seats are regarded as perhaps truly superior in some ways, including wear-and-tear.

BTW I see that you don't seem ticked about it either.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Yup...only the perforated parts are real leather and the rest are vinyl. I found that out later after I bought my car, but it never bothered me any...though I can't remember if my salesguy told me if everything was leather or not. Oh well...I think it'll last longer than if the whole car was leather though. Cloth seats would've been fine as well :D

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not bothered by it except that if perforated-only is leather, then there could be sort of a wear mismatch.

I havent had vinyl seats since a 69 Delta 88 in HS. No idea how vinyl wears. Any experience with Honda/Acura vinyl? What would be weird is if the leather faded/darkened while the vinyl didnt or vice-versa.

Thanks.

PS that Delta 88 was 455 cubic inches with a 2bbl carb. Made 310 horses. The upgrade was 4bbl with 10:1 compression. Made 400 something hp. Yeeeouch. Burnout with bias plies!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hmmm...don't know what to tell ya there. This is my first Acura/Honda and first time with leather/vinyl seats. All the others have been cloth...and Oldsmobiles too :D

Gotta love those old Delts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
I'm not bothered by it except that if perforated-only is leather, then there could be sort of a wear mismatch.

I havent had vinyl seats since a 69 Delta 88 in HS. No idea how vinyl wears. Any experience with Honda/Acura vinyl? What would be weird is if the leather faded/darkened while the vinyl didnt or vice-versa.....
Don't know if this is relevant, but FWIW......

I had an '88 Legend for 14 years, and there was never any issue about the leather -- no signs of wear, no signs of tear, fading or darkening or discoloring or anything. (And it was a light color -- sort of light gold.) I don't know if it was "all leather," or a combo like in the TSX, and frankly I never thought of it until people started pointing out how it is in the TSX. My guess would be it was similar, because I haven't had any impression that the "leather" in the TSX is inferior (or particularly different) than in my prior cars, which included a year's worth of an '03 TL-S as well as those 14 years with the Legend. If anything, the TSX feels better and finer.

So my guess would be that you don't have any cause for worry.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Yup, I also believe that only the perforated parts of the seat are real leather. Rest are vinyl/pleather.

Personally, this does not really bother me. Both seem to be of very good quality.

My only gripe is that when I try to clean the seats, I have to use both the leather cleaner/conditioner (Lexol) and vinyl protectant (Vinylex).

Or, I just need to look harder for the 303 Aerospace Protectant, which supposedly works very well on both leather and vinyl.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in the parking lot at my office yesterday and there was a Legend, a couple of older Infinitis, etc.

I went and eyeballed their upholstery. It appeared to me that the Legend had all upper surfaces of leather, all had the "patina" associated with leather. The older Infiniti (i45 I think) appeared to have pleather bolsters and leather inserts (like ours). The bolsters (non-leather) did not have the patina associated with leather. It looked fine though, better than the leather actually. In fact, I bet it would have looked uniformly good had the Infiniti owner taken better care of the leather.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well how's that for detective work? (I'd say that our govt should do half as good but that would be too political.) :D

Cool job, Mark! So it's looking like maybe the Legend had all leather?

I wonder if maybe an old Legend owner might come on here who can tell us for sure.
I know that should be me, but remember, I only had it for 14 years. :D

I always assumed it was all leather, likewise with my '03 TL-S, but then again I assumed the same thing with the TSX.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep larch it appeared to me that the Legend had all leather up top.

I'm not all that concerned about it, but like others, I wiped the leather with some conditioner and it seemed to sit on top of the bolsters (rather than being absorbed). Prior to that, I had not noticed any difference other than perfs/no perfs.

Set my little obsessive/compulsive mind to wondering. But I don't think it will be any sort of issue for most of us. Just beware that, based on the Infiniti, if you let the perfed leather get dirty/deteriorate, it WILL look a bit different from the bolsters. So keep it clean and conditioned!

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I had a grand prix with pleather seats. They wore just as well or better than the leather. The seats looked like brand new when I got rid of the car

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it seems that pleather has "come of age." With the exception of absorbency and breathability (which cause leather to wear and which are diminished by modern coatings), pleather would seem to be a superior product.

Ever checked the "leather" on a Benz? Man that stuff is plasticated to the nth degree. At least on the low to mid range M-B's.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
My first Honda, '89 Accord SE-i had softer leather and it covered the entire surface of each seat with the exception of the recessed portion of the front seats.

The TSX leather isn't quite as soft but these days leather use is up in most cars and companies are buying from vaious suppliers.

Overall, the main thing is to keep it clean, keep it conditioned and don't poke holes in it. :rolleyes:

Dust creates abrasives and abrasion is the enemy. Vacuum your carpet and clean your leather and vinyl frequently and it should last a long time.

However, don't be surprised in a few years if the outer edges of the driver's seat cushion look a little worn. This is usually the spot where most wear occurs.

Unless you install sheepskins or seat cover, there's not much you can do to prevent it. :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hey, if the seats get worn, thats when those recaros come in right? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts