Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

I recently put in LED bulbs for the rear turn signals and have the hyperflash that everyone is talking about. I don't want to go with the load resistors / modules as a fix because of the heat issues and stories I hear of it burning the liner and even the cabling too.

What I am looking for is the part # of the signal relay that will compensate for low voltage LEDS which will replace the stock flasher relay in the fuse box.

I came across a link that has a few relays, not sure if any of these will work (fit) our fuse box (lol, having problems taking out the OEM relay, the 2 clips that hold it in are a b*tch!)

link to flasher relays:
Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

Let me know if any of these will fit.

From what I can see on the existing relay, stock, the part # is mitsuba fr-3504, (cant find a pinout diagram on google either)

Thanks guys.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
what's the advantage of upgrading to LED bulbs, especially for turn signals? seems like a lot of work for nothing...
never had experience with that part, but seems they use resistors in that part?
besides resistors only option would be vregs... but i don't know how you'd wire them in

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the advantage for LEDS is if you have JDM tails and want them more yellow than orange, that is the reason why I want to. It is more visible, especially on a bright sunny day. I tried the stock bulb and an orange bulb, insignifant difference, but with aftermarket LEDs, Colour difference is night and day

Benefits: Brighter, cleaner, more visibility, etc...

This guy did it on his TL, but pretty sure its a different model turn signal / hazard relay. He modified his stock relay, changed the resistor within.

"http://tl.*********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815219" (acura zine = **** ... hyperlink not working)

·
1,706 Posts
cool, im interested in seeing the difference, if you have pics that would be great!
i'm making my own custom LED boards, i wasn't going to make one for the turn signals but now i might...

why do you want it more yellow and not orange?!

yeah besides resistors, only vregs can do change it...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k, maybe ill take a pic tonight, they flash fine when hazards are on, but not when signaling, guess cause of the load to the relay.

"why do you want it more yellow and not orange?!"

"Benefits: Brighter, cleaner, more visibility, etc..."

Pics will show you the difference.

question for you, are you in Chicago more than Toronto? See your location, but seems like most of your FS threads are Chicago.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Your only option here is to actually change out the relay. All other options are just load resistors and if properly installed there is no worry about heat.

EDIT: To answer the other half, most of these relays most likely will not fit in the fusebox, two ways around this are to pull the relay out and add spades with extra wire going to the new relay (lazy/not as good way lol) Or removing the entire fuse box and de pining the relay socket and re soldering the new relay in (best way).

Something like this would work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

·
1,706 Posts
k, maybe ill take a pic tonight, they flash fine when hazards are on, but not when signaling, guess cause of the load to the relay.

"why do you want it more yellow and not orange?!"

"Benefits: Brighter, cleaner, more visibility, etc..."

Pics will show you the difference.

question for you, are you in Chicago more than Toronto? See your location, but seems like most of your FS threads are Chicago.
cool, looking forward to the pics
yeah i live in chicago now, my parents live in toronto so i come home every so often to visit... but if you ever need parts or anything, i can easily get them to you - i have parts stored here and in toronto and my bro-in-law takes care of most of my Toronto stuff, as he is big into the Accord scene there

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya that's a load resistor, was hoping to find a compatible relay instead. It looks like I have no choice but to use them. Need more feedback from people using these load resistors. Any heating issues and/or burning liner?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bro check out

http://www.diodedynamics.com/
They sell led flasher modules checkout the site and videos I emailed them before asking if there compatible and they told me this

" Hi Justin,

The flasher module is something very easy to use. There is a small black box by the brake pedal that you would pull out and replace with the new one, it is the actual device that makes the clicking noise. It's as simple as pulling in an appliance. Because we have not have a chance to test your vehicle for this specific issue please do some investigating by pulling out your fuse box, if able.

However, some model's flasher modules are bolted into place making the irreplaceable if that is the case in your car you would need to purchase the resistors and that involves two wire splices.

Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I haven't got the time to even check and reply back to the email cause so busy. And not much of a priority for me with my schedule so you can try give um a email. Or if not you could send me pics of the fuse box with the module for our car and forward it to her. Since I already got a case started lol up to u guys. But good luck bro! Lmk if anything still wanting to do a led mod without resistors too

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you mount the resistor mount it to the chassis of the car. It will act as a giant heat sink.
Thanks Tottenham, ya was thinking that as well.... if I don't find the relay then I will go that route.

but back to the relay discussion for now, so before I posted I did do some research, the relay that I came across in superbrightleds is in the link below and it is meant for japanese cars, but thats so generic and doubt that every japanese car has the same relay.

LED Flasher Unit CF13JL-02 Specifications

But as I was writing this thread, Acura zine.com, one member confirmed it was wrong. search their site for "Complete TSX LED replacement guide (link on pg. 17) " and look at post #237

The tsx relay looks like :

so it apprears that there is no relay for our application.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.