Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
, Administrator/Moderator, Entertainment
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this but couldnt find anything so Im putting this out here for the experts.

I have some LED's that are rated to 3.7 max volts but I want to run them off of 12 volts. Will this burn them out? What can I do to run them at these volts? Or do I just need to get 12 volt LED's?

Any help is appreciated.
-Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
It would depend on exactly what type of led you have. But yes connecting these directly to 12v would burn them.

The leds on eBay that are "12v" are merely regular leds with Resistors already attached for use with 12v. So you would need to buy some resistors and put those in series with the LED. You would also need to find out the current requirements of the LED.

Hope that helps.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
IMO, sounds easier and cheaper if you just buy new 12v ones. There are sites (and ebay) that sell them pretty dirt cheap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah it probably is, but if the LEDS he has are much brighter than whats on eBay or if he got them really cheap then getting the resistors would probably be cheaper.

Resistors are like 5-10cents each, and connecting them to the LED wouldnt be hard if he is willing to solder them. If not he could just "braid" the ends together tape it up and hes good to go.

·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MTL-TSX said:
Yeah it probably is, but if the LEDS he has are much brighter than whats on eBay or if he got them really cheap then getting the resistors would probably be cheaper.

Resistors are like 5-10cents each, and connecting them to the LED wouldnt be hard if he is willing to solder them. If not he could just "braid" the ends together tape it up and hes good to go.
Yeah the LED's I have are really bright and were prety cheap. So Iwant to try and run these. How many resitors do I need? the max voltage per LED is 3.6V not 3.7V and I will be running 2 in a series off of 12 volts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi, if you can find out the current rating on the LEDS i can help you out.

Also are these going to be mostly on whent he car is running? If so the circuit will need to be designed for 14.4v. (best to be safe)

·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where do I find the rating?

·
Registered
246 Posts
kinda late but if youre going off 14.4 volts, you could just run 4 of those LEDs (3.6V each) in series with no resistors needed.

·
7,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kinda late but if youre going off 14.4 volts, you could just run 4 of those LEDs (3.6V each) in series with no resistors needed.
Thanks but I already figured it out wired it and installed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts