Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been working on my Led Tail retro for a week, and i wanted some suggestions.

I would like to make the following points clear:

- I only have a spare set of Passenger inner tails, so all work will be done on that for now.
- I know the taillight looks hacked apart, i will fix that
- I do not plan on leaving the perf board "look" on the final product
- For the sake of pictures i did not put the leds at full brightness
- I can make any design that would fit into that circle (about 7 1/2 CM diameter)
- I plan on making all 4 lights (both driver and passenger) into marker/brake lights (right now only one of the rear tails get brighter when we brake.
- Unlike the other tails you might have seen, these will be true dual brightness, as well as an inner circle lighting up.
- I will update this thread as i make new prototypes

So here are pics of my first design:

Tail lit up as marker light:

Tail lit up as brake light:

Tails off:

Tails with lense off:

I plan on making another design which has the same outer circle, but with a more full inner circle, perhaps with an led in the center.

What do you guys think? This design is not the same as the previously done led tails you might have seen, the leds are a bit more seperated and less are used.

I will post up my other design in a day or so.

·
Needs No Explanation
3,754 Posts
wow... :bowdown:

i praise your hard work and "DIYness", i cant wait to see the final product and what follows of the DIY. (i think it might look better without the inner circle) very impressive.

(wrong thread btw)

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
I have a set of extra inner + corner R/L tail-light, want to experience on it and let me have a deal from you.

·
Not A MOD3RATOR
4,329 Posts
MTL-TSX, my PM box is full. Please send your msg to my e-mail. [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics of a new design, its a bit more filled in with a center.

Sorry the pics with both the inside and outside on didnt come out so good.

I must say again, i am either going to have the outer ring light up as marker lights but at less brightness and then the inner will light one i brake along with the outer at full brightness.
Or i am going to have both inner and outer light up at less brightness and then full once i brake.

Which design do you guys like?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the one you see is my first attempt, once i get a new set i will be more refined and precise with my "heated knife" cuts. Though i think i can salvage this housing by doing some multistage sanding and sealing it up with a clear sealant.

And thanks btw.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I like the more filled in approach better, one of my personal problems ive had with the other led set ups that have been made is I just dont feel theres enough LED's there, this new set up would look great, especially if you run them all on partial brightness untill you stomp the brakes

·
, Moderator Emeritus
3,461 Posts
im gonna second what memphis said...deff do the outside ring partial brightness and than the center full when braking...if this is easy enough and u master it let me know...i been looking for an economical way of leds in the tail lights...kinda like the g35 coupe look
jay

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheProfessor said:
Very cool, though will that be enough LED's?

Honestly these leds are pretty bright, if i were to fill up the entire area it would blind the person behind me. even with these my eyes hurt when look at them.

I personally like my first deisgn with less leds but i am trying different designs, but i am limited because i am using regular perf boards, if i made my own boards i could do whatever i want.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jays98cobra said:
im gonna second what memphis said...deff do the outside ring partial brightness and than the center full when braking...if this is easy enough and u master it let me know...i been looking for an economical way of leds in the tail lights...kinda like the g35 coupe look
jay
Thanks guys, I am not sure on the center 4 leds though (not sure if the + design will go good with once on the car), do you guys really like them?

Yeah i can either do all on (both inner and outer rings) on low brigthness then all on full brightness when i brake, or have outer on low brightness and inner off then when i brake both inner and outer at full brightness.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts