Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As some of you may be aware, im in Australia so the legal criterias may be different. We have a specification that our cars need to be at least 100mm (3.93in) from the ground at the lowest point.

So if its lower than that guideline, we get defect notices and fines from the cops if we get pulled over, and the insurance company can void the insurance payout as the "car is not legal."

My car sits perfectly at the moment imo. I have a one finger gap up front and no gap in the rear. Suits me very well. However, with the risk of insurance not paying out any of the claim when i am in need, that is arisk i am not personally willing to take. I would hav about 90-95mm clearance from my approximate measurement.
Im going to have to raise the car and maybe just go for a touring car look.

So my question is, since so may of you guys in northern America have lowered your cars to what is similar to how mine is looking (if not lower), do you guys have any legal requirements by the road authorities?
Are there any insurance guidelines, whereby a car that may be lower than a certain requirement would void any insurance payout?

I have been procrastinating for months, but i guess its back to
four wheel drive stance now! :(
Hopefully get it to look touring car maybe lol

·
Alliance!
1,776 Posts
Yeah, as far as I know, where I live, the only laws are for trucks and their maximum height limits. The only thing a lowered car/truck cant do here is scrape the ground when its driving on a flat surface.

·
ALL*CAL
461 Posts
For California, my understanding is that the center of the low beam headlight must be at least 22 inches from the ground and nothing can hang lower than than the lowest part of the rim. So the lower profile your tire is, the lower your frame and undercarriage components can go, while keeping in mind the minimum headlight height.

As far as insurance companies go, I'm not too sure of their policies, but these legal height requirements are usually enforced by the police or other law enforcement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts