Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the Editor:

Re "L.I. Driver, 82, Was Drunk, the Police Say" (news article, April 22): Why isn't there a zero-tolerance law on drunken drivers? When one is behind the wheel of a vehicle, one is assuming responsibility for every other car out there, as well as for pedestrians. A car driven by an inebriated person is a moving weapon. First offense: 10-year irrevocable suspension of license. Second offense: 20-year suspension of license. Third offense: No more license.

Watch how fast the accidents stop. _

PAT GALLANT
New York, April 23, 2004

Good job, Pat. I'd go along with something like that. I think those penalties are just a bit too severe -- I'd say more like 5 yrs for first offense, 10 yrs for second, and then minimum 10 yrs additional for third offense with possibility of applying for reinstatement thereafter. But I agree with the basic idea.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
I'll go you one better. Why is there no mandatory driving test (both written and demonstrated) on a regular basis for ALL drivers in all states?

Answer- Even though it would improve the chaos on the roads, most people don't want to assume responsibility for themselves and lawmakers are "spineless" and won't suggest or implement it.

Why else do we admire European countries for their courteousness, respect for proper driving and efficient traffic flow?

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Why else do we admire European countries for their courteousness, respect for proper driving and efficient traffic flow?
Do we include Italians (well Roman Italians) in that list?).:D

The drunk driving problem is tough. Stiff penalties may deter youthful offenders, but a bunch of the offenders are frankly alcoholics and drunk driving may be the least of their (as opposed to others') problems and stiff penalties probably will not deter them as they are borderline insane.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Do we include Italians (well Roman Italians) in that list?).:D
Maybe we need to leave the Italians and the French off the list? ;)

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
Why don't we enforce the laws we have now? I know many people who have had simple slaps on the wrist, even after multiple drunk driving incidents.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
To the Editor:

Re "L.I. Driver, 82, Was Drunk, the Police Say" (news article, April 22): Why isn't there a zero-tolerance law on drunken drivers? When one is behind the wheel of a vehicle, one is assuming responsibility for every other car out there, as well as for pedestrians. A car driven by an inebriated person is a moving weapon. First offense: 10-year irrevocable suspension of license. Second offense: 20-year suspension of license. Third offense: No more license.

Watch how fast the accidents stop. _

PAT GALLANT
New York, April 23, 2004

Dear Pat:

The reason this won't stop accidents is the same reason that incarcerating people "forever" for drug offenses other than alcohol has been associated with increased, not decreased use. The denominator of the equation, the number of drivers "over the limit" is relatively "big" but the numerator, the number who are actually caught, is "very small".

I'm all for hanging, drawing-and-quartering drunken drivers of SUVs in the left lane who are talking on their cell phones (For one thing the recidivism rate is actually 0 (zero) following drawing-and-quartering), but your idea would be yet another futile gesture. One that you'll get to pay even more for if the convicted drunk, say, needed to drive for work or to get to work. Do you want to pay to raise his or her kids? Congrats!

How about orange "DUI" license plates on convicted DUI driver's cars? (No, the typical NY Times reader would say the convicted drunk would feel bad if he needed to publicly display his conviction on his license plate.)

BTW, did that octogenarian LI SUV driver even have a prior offense?

Buy a Volvo or a Big Benz, Pat!

Sincerely,

Bob

PS I believe Portugal and Spain have the highest highway death rates in Europe

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Letter in NY Times: Take the hard line on Drunk Drivers

bob shiftright said:
Dear Pat:

The reason this won't stop accidents is the same reason that incarcerating people "forever" for drug offenses other than alcohol has been associated with increased, not decreased use. The denominator of the equation, the number of drivers "over the limit" is relatively "big" but the numerator, the number who are actually caught, is "very small".

I'm all for hanging, drawing-and-quartering drunken drivers of SUVs in the left lane who are talking on their cell phones (For one thing the recidivism rate is actually 0 (zero) following drawing-and-quartering), but your idea would be yet another futile gesture. One that you'll get to pay even more for if the convicted drunk, say, needed to drive for work or to get to work. Do you want to pay to raise his or her kids? Congrats!

How about orange "DUI" license plates on convicted DUI driver's cars? (No, the typical NY Times reader would say the convicted drunk would feel bad if he needed to publicly display his conviction on his license plate.)

BTW, did that octogenarian LI SUV driver even have a prior offense?

Buy a Volvo or a Big Benz, Pat!

Sincerely,

Bob

PS I believe Portugal and Spain have the highest highway death rates in Europe
So.....I guess everybody figures that Bob just settled the issue.

Not. :D

First of all, he was kidding. Even if he wasn't, I'm saying he was kidding.

That's what I'm saying. :D

(Which BTW is a phrase that I learned from Mark Fuhrman.
Just like I learned "Absolutely not" from Joey Buttafuoco. :D
Court stuff is cool.) :cool:

I think stiff penalties and strong enforcement do serve as a deterrent.
(And this is the knee-jerk liberal talking.)

I do agree with Bob that there are other driving things besides drunk driving that should be stiffly penalized and seriously enforced.

Even though we know he was really kidding. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
larchmont said:
Re "L.I. Driver, 82, Was Drunk, the Police Say"
I think this guy's age is as big a problem as he was drunk. I think old people, like larchmont :D , should be forced to take a road test every year to renew their licenses.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Letter in NY Times: Take the hard line on Drunk Drivers

larchmont said:
First of all, he was kidding. Even if he wasn't, I'm saying he was kidding....Even though we know he was really kidding. :D
I'm certainly NOT kidding about restricted licenses and orange or red "DUI" license plates for convicted drunks or druggies!

rzee said:
I think this guy's age is as big a problem as he was drunk. I think old people, like larchmont :D , should be forced to take a road test every year to renew their licenses.
I'm taking the Skip Barber performance driving course (again) next month. I think if I can control a 500hp Viper on a track I can probably control a warmed-over Honda Accord on the highway. Last time I took it, about 1/2 the class was made up of geezers, like larch and bob:D. The "young pups" were in a distinct minority! 'Course they know everything and their reflexes are "purrrfect", so they have no need. (Only the insurance underwriters have yet to be convinced of that fact.)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Letter in NY Times: Take the hard line on Drunk Drivers

bob shiftright said:
......geezers, like larch and bob:D.
Gimme a break -- compared to me, Bob ain't started shaving yet.

(Me = 53
Bob = I think only like 52 or something.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.