Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys n gals... just wondering if any of you happened to have "free" oil changes for life on your tsx? I paid my local dealer $180 one time fee to get oil changes every 3,750 miles without charge... and for any normal maintanence they deduct the oil change fee.... only valid at my dealer...but i was wondering if any other dealers are offering that???

my dealer normally charges $35 for an oil change (and the dealer I purchased from charges $65 per oil change..yes crazy fees) so it has paid for itself already seeing as how I have 22k miles on the car.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
I got my "free" oil changes included for free + car washes, but my dealer is about 80 miles from my house. Doh! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... i dotn think i get free car washes.... only the oil changes.... although when i go for an oil change they will wash the car.. hmm i should tell them to give me free washes lol

sux that they are 80 miles from u... :(

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
No, just a few free routine servicings (every other one for a while, don't remember how many).

Anyway, seems to me it's great business for dealers to offer free oil changes, because it helps to secure you as an ongoing service customer -- which means you'll be paying for other stuff (oil changes are a drop in the bucket by comparison, no pun intended, it wouldn't have been that great anyway :D ). Which also makes it more likely you'll buy your car from them next time too. All just IMO of course. But that's how it looks from here.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
:sprint:
larchmont said:
No, just a few free routine servicings (every other one for a while, don't remember how many).

Anyway, seems to me it's great business for dealers to offer free oil changes, because it helps to secure you as an ongoing service customer -- which means you'll be paying for other stuff (oil changes are a drop in the bucket by comparison, no pun intended, it wouldn't have been that great anyway :D ). Which also makes it more likely you'll buy your car from them next time too. All just IMO of course. But that's how it looks from here.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:

I know I've said this before but it's just a four-banger accord with 17" wheels and a strut tower brace and if any ASE-Certified technician can't figure out how to service it, he should give it up and go to work for Starbucks. I know they've got a lot of you convinced that there's some Acura magic dust that they sprinkle over the car, or that somehow it takes an Acura Certified Master Technician to change the oil, but in reality when you go to a dealer it'll be the same confused, stoned, HS-dropout with the tattoos and lip studs doing the routine service that you'll get to do it at Jiffy-Lube.

It's quicker and easier for me to go to my local ASE shop, the Master Tech is gray-haired and about 50 without any lip studs and since I supply the Mobil-1 oil and get to watch the process I know it gets done correctly.

My biggest peeve with Volvo is that the car's computer needs frequent conversations with it's mother in Gothenburg, Sweden in order to stay happy. So the same general strategy didn't work with my Volvo. :rolling_e

I figure my oil change cost at 5 quarts Mobil-1 $20.83 (6-quarts Mobil-1 @ Costco @$25) a filter $6, a washer $0.25 and $20 labor including use of the lift and a tire rotation and disposal of the crud that comes out of the crankcase, or $47.08 but note the use of the Mobil-1 Synthetic in place of the dealer's dino-juice. I'm usually in-and-out before I can finish my coffee or finish reading my WSJ. How much is your TIME worth?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Good post Bob! :thumbsup:

I like doing the oil changes myself...that way I know it gets done right. I also save myself a little $...I use to work at a quick lube place back in the day and can do oil changes blind folded. hehe I use to hate this work, but now that I'm doing just my cars/trucks its all good.

Now if I could just afford to put a lift in my garage! O well, ramps or jack stands & a crawler will have to do for now. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great post bob :) i agree there is no magic dust.. haha i just go there because i dont know how to do it myself and since i get the free oil changes i let them do it... takes them about 20 min to get it done :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
I know I've said this before but it's just a four-banger accord with 17" wheels and a strut tower brace and if any ASE-Certified technician can't figure out how to service it, he should give it up and go to work for Starbucks. I know they've got a lot of you convinced that there's some Acura magic dust that they sprinkle over the car, or that somehow it takes an Acura Certified Master Technician to change the oil, but in reality when you go to a dealer it'll be the same confused, stoned, HS-dropout with the tattoos and lip studs doing the routine service that you'll get to do it at Jiffy-Lube....[/SIZE]
Actually I think there is magic dust, sort of.

It's kind of the same as I feel about pharmacies. For lots of stuff, I'll drop in anywhere -- Walgreen's, CVS, whatever. But for anything "important," I'll go to the old fashioned mom/pop drug store. I figure that the lower volume and the more personal attention helps give just a little bit more likelihood of everything being OK. What exactly am I talking about? I don't know, but definitely including not getting the wrong stuff, and it not having accidentally spilled onto the floor or into the toilet while they were putting it in the bottle.

Notice I didn't say necessarily a "more expensive" place, just a lower volume place, plus having some reason to believe it's more personal, even if only a little. I think it does make a difference. But that's only a guess. I've never taken a car to a local-whatever-place or "regular" Honda place or anything like that.

Come to think of it, I have. When I was still living in NYC, my old Acura place became "Honda," and I still brought my old Acura Legend there. But it was the same people as before, so I still thought of it as Acura.

Hmmmm, on second thought, kinda bears out Bob's point a little, doesn't it......

P.S. Come to think of it, maybe Bob's local place is also one of those places where they know your name and whatever.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can also agree with you larch.... makes sense to go to a place with a little more personal attention. Now that you mentioned that I know that with Honda/Acura they are more likely to help you out with something not covered by warranty if you have done all your service with them (incl oil change). For example.... my Acura dealer agreed to reimburse me for the new navi disc mainly because I have gone to them for all the service (well they told me they were paying for it because of that)... but anyways they know me by name and if I have any problem they are always able to help out... so I guess I can understand both views :)

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
vp911 said:
Great post bob :) i agree there is no magic dust.. haha i just go there because i dont know how to do it myself and since i get the free oil changes i let them do it... takes them about 20 min to get it done :)
It's "free" but is it "free"? I mean, for the "free" changes do they use dino juice or synthetic oil and do they use a new filter or follow the Acura recommendations of no new oil filter until the 20,000 mile oil change? I received a bunch of "free" oil change coupons from the dealer I purchased the car from, but that's over an hour from where I live. So the "free" oil change certainly isn't "free". Up to the 110,000 mile service the service items on a TSX are pretty much a "piece of cake", I expect to do most of them myself. The reasons that I don't do oil changes any more is that I don't want to worry about getting rid of the dirty oil.

I've been doing oil changes every 5000 miles with Mobil-1 and a new filter on my Volvo for the last 140,000 miles and it still uses no oil between changes. So I'm now a believer.

Mostly, using the local indies is a no-brainer for me, they're much better and they're usually cheaper than the dealers.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
larchmont said:
Can't wait to hear what JCG thinks of what I said about pharmacies.
Yeah, yeah. :D

Actually, all I'll say is that you are far better off taking everything to one pharmacy than using multiple ones. They really do pay attention to fun things like drug interactions, but only if they know about your drugs.

I use a grocery store one because it's low volume, I know the main pharmacist, and he's happy. I avoid CVS and Rite Aid because the pharmacists are miserable. One of my students took a job at Rite Aid where he'll be working 3 14-hour shifts a week (and making >$10K more than me, I should add). His plan was to work another job on some of the days off. I wouldn't take my prescription to him!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be happy. I get one free oil change, and then I have to pay for them, and my dealer is a good 50 or 60 miles from my house.

I'm bummed! :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
jcg878 said:
Yeah, yeah. :D

Actually, all I'll say is that you are far better off taking everything to one pharmacy than using multiple ones. They really do pay attention to fun things like drug interactions, but only if they know about your drugs.

I use a grocery store one because it's low volume, I know the main pharmacist, and he's happy. I avoid CVS and Rite Aid because the pharmacists are miserable. One of my students took a job at Rite Aid where he'll be working 3 14-hour shifts a week (and making >$10K more than me, I should add). His plan was to work another job on some of the days off. I wouldn't take my prescription to him!
To my complete and utter surprise, looks like JCG agrees with me! :donno:

And actually that's exactly what I meant. When I talked about going to those chains for some stuff, I didn't mean Rx's, I meant stuff like Chap Stick and batteries.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
acuradude said:
Be happy. I get one free oil change, and then I have to pay for them, and my dealer is a good 50 or 60 miles from my house.

I'm bummed! :)
Sounds like me...except I didn't get a free oil change :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
btw i checked...and they replace the filter and everything... :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello,

My father who is a taxi driver said that for a new car, it is good to have the first oil change within the first 1000 miles. Is it true ?

I was planning to do that with the dealership, but then I read some previous posts about not changing oil filters. Now, where should I go for my first 1000 miles oil change ? Any recommendation ?

Thanks in advance.

D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm good question, i have never heard anything about it... all i have heard is for the first 1000 miles dont go above 50mph, just to break the engine in. hopefully somebody else will know :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
Hello,

My father who is a taxi driver said that for a new car, it is good to have the first oil change within the first 1000 miles. Is it true ?

I was planning to do that with the dealership, but then I read some previous posts about not changing oil filters. Now, where should I go for my first 1000 miles oil change ? Any recommendation ?

Thanks in advance.

D
There are a lot of differences of opinion on this, but I don't recall anybody else thinking that it would be good to do it so early. I wonder if that might have been the case on older model cars but not on more-recent cars?

About the TSX in particular, as has been said a number of times (including I think on this thread), the original oil in the TSX is a different formulation that's supposed to be better for the car on its first few thousand miles, and so Honda/Acura recommends NOT changing it until after that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts