Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at tire racks tire weight and most tires that are 215/50/17 weigh roughly 20-21 lbs. my car came with 225/40/17 summer tires that weigh 24 lbs a piece. if i drop 3 lbs a wheel from putting on light tires will my steering feel be responsive and will i get a hair better mpg?

side note: the 215's will be all season tires. i understand that i am going to a narrower tire which equals less traction, but im concerned with the responsiveness of the car than lateral g's.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Performance
8,413 Posts
3 lbs won't make a substantial diff

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
you will get better acceleration and a little better response with lighter weight, go with the cheapest and lightest weight, my rims are kosei K1 racing and they are as light as feather compared to the stock tsx rims, and they still running strong after 2 years. cant beat the price anywhere

·
unofficial city snowplow
837 Posts
3 lbs won't make a substantial diff
i agree with this. to see any real gains you're going to have to shave off a lot more than 3lbs. in any case, you're aiming at the right parts though, because unsprung weight is what you need to be reducing, as opposed to static weight. and rotating mass (your wheels/tires, etc.) is the best to remove for optimal results...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did your mpg go up or down when u put the k1's on? was it night and day with the k1's as far as handling goes

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
i was looking at tire racks tire weight and most tires that are 215/50/17 weigh roughly 20-21 lbs. my car came with 225/40/17 summer tires that weigh 24 lbs a piece. if i drop 3 lbs a wheel from putting on light tires will my steering feel be responsive and will i get a hair better mpg?

side note: the 215's will be all season tires. i understand that i am going to a narrower tire which equals less traction, but im concerned with the responsiveness of the car than lateral g's.
Your car came with 225/40-17? That is WAY off from the factory size (6.2% smaller circumference). I run 225/45-17 for a wider contact patch but I've never heard of anyone running 225/40-17. Acura recommends running a 2% difference tire AT MOST. Good thing you're changing them out.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
did your mpg go up or down when u put the k1's on? was it night and day with the k1's as far as handling goes
to be honest i am not exacily sure, because i drove my car when i came back for my 2 week leave from iraq. after i got back 6 months later my wife had already gotten the K&N box filter and the new rims on my car.

previously when i first had my car, i was able to do an average 32mpg 80 city/20 hwy. when i came back home from overseas i averaged around 34-35 mpg with the new setup, so i cant tell for sure if its the K1 or the K&N filter thats giving me the benefit.

as far as performance goes, the car felt slow and laggy when it came off the dealer lot, but when i had my k1 rims and K&N the car was able to pick up a little better.

ill tell u this though, my stock 06 rims weigh 21.1 lb, while my 17X7.0 k1 weigh 14 lb

So.. if you do the math, you save approx 7X4 = 28 LBS from all four rims, thats a lot of weight saved for mass rotation

also, i recommend K1 because I have them on my car for 2 straight years and i bought it used from ebay for 600 and theyre still going strong. they have been through 2 brutal winter seasons as well so that really shows something.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Yes, you do get better MPG and handling from lighter wheel/tire combo. Any time you loose unsprung weight the car starts the react better. I think in your case, 3lbs a corner will be barely felt. It's probably more mental than actual gains.

Just for example. Besides the motor in the BMW M3 vs 3series, the major differences are in the suspension department. Where the M3 comes allot less of unsprung weight, by using aluminum and magnesium in the suspension department. Which makes the car handle and respond allot better.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I put on my GPs which are 16.5lbs each..I couldn't feel much of a difference lol
Really? When I pull my winter set - stock wheels and Toyo winter tires - and throw on the Mugen GPs and Nittos I feel a substantial difference when it comes to acceleration from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Really? When I pull my winter set - stock wheels and Toyo winter tires - and throw on the Mugen GPs and Nittos I feel a substantial difference when it comes to acceleration from a dead stop.
TBH I'm going to make that switch in a couple of weeks. Last time this was done I had my coilovers installed and wheels swapped at the same time and didn't notice much. I'm hoping this time I realize the difference. I know it should make a big difference..Right now i'm rolling on 16" rsx-s wheels which are probably in the 20lb area as well.

EDIT:
I actually just searched for the weight of my 02-04 rsx-s alloys that i use for the winter..it seems that they weigh 16lbs which is REALLY light. If that's accurate, it'd explain why I didn't feel a difference lol. I had no idea they were this light..

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
TBH I'm going to make that switch in a couple of weeks. Last time this was done I had my coilovers installed and wheels swapped at the same time and didn't notice much. I'm hoping this time I realize the difference. I know it should make a big difference..Right now i'm rolling on 16" rsx-s wheels which are probably in the 20lb area as well.

EDIT:
I actually just searched for the weight of my 02-04 rsx-s alloys that i use for the winter..it seems that they weigh 16lbs which is REALLY light. If that's accurate, it'd explain why I didn't feel a difference lol. I had no idea they were this light..
RSX-S rims are 17", the base models are the ones that comes with 16". i have a base RSX with tires and together the weight was only 37 lbs!

OP: if you plan on getting wide tires, i say go with 235 front and stay stock size in the rear.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
i read somewhere that the mugen gps were 18 x 7.5 and weighed 16lbs is that true
16.5 lbs

In the physical world, a lighter wheel will give you better MPG and acceleration. Feeling the difference is subjective to the driver

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
RSX-S rims are 17", the base models are the ones that comes with 16". i have a base RSX with tires and together the weight was only 37 lbs!

OP: if you plan on getting wide tires, i say go with 235 front and stay stock size in the rear.
I believe it depends on the year of the rsx..afaik the cars were the same between USA/Cda

I have the wheels from an 02-04 and they are type-s wheels (gunmetal in colour) and they are 16". I'm pretty sure that for 02-04 all the rsx models had 16" wheels and the only difference for the type s was the colour. As of 05 though, the type-s did receive 17"

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts

its not ALL about weight. RSX base models come with 16x6.5 and the stock tire size is 205/50/16. My Mugen GP's fit 225/40 so you lose out on 20mm or .80 inches.

16.5lbs (mugen GP's) + 23lbs (yoko s.drive tires) = 39.5lbs

Thats 2.5lbs more per wheel than the RSX base, but you gain almost an inch of tire width.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
^ actually rsx stock tire size is 205/55/16. but i agree that its not all about the WEIGHT, im just pointing out the weight because thats what OP asked for. but the price tag is what really matters unless OP has enough cash to throw away on anything in the market. in which case he should be investing in weight along with something that can get him good traction(width)

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
^ actually rsx stock tire size is 205/55/16. but i agree that its not all about the WEIGHT, im just pointing out the weight because thats what OP asked for. but the price tag is what really matters unless OP has enough cash to throw away on anything in the market. in which case he should be investing in weight along with something that can get him good traction(width)

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
you will get better acceleration and a little better response with lighter weight, go with the cheapest and lightest weight, my rims are kosei K1 racing and they are as light as feather compared to the stock tsx rims, and they still running strong after 2 years. cant beat the price anywhere
I cant believe somebody Negative rep me for this and said "SHHHHHH", man up and sign your name next time fool! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts