Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a 2006 TSX and I’m currently replacing the trans since the previous owner put in a DC5 5-speed from an RSX base, I’m doing all motor mounts and trans mounts and EVERYTHING. I got an OE spec clutch from LUK and was wondering if it is ok to put in a lightweight flywheel with it ?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You got an RSX clutch right? Just make sure your clutch and FW are both for RSX and not TSX - I'd look at a lighter fw - my 11.5 lb Competition Clutch flywheel is perfect for daily duties. I've driven one with an 8lb fw and found it to be a bit much for street use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can add a 6th gear to the RSX box - which might be a better idea if you know it's in good condition - the first 2 gears are the same and the rest are so close you could step down a tire size or change out the final.

I would get the lightest flywheel you can if you are fond of spirited driving, especially if you plan to re flash the ecu and remove rev hang.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow, learn something new every day. That first link explained it well. I had done a quick Google search before I asked, but all the results seemed to be about switching in a taller 6th. Didn't know some of them were actually adding a gear they never had. Pretty interesting that Honda decided to go through the trouble to make it a 5 speed I stead of just making it 6. Maybe to give the RSX-S more appeal?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I believe the ratios between rsx base and type s are different to suit the powerband of the different engines. 6 short gears in the type-s.

I rebuilt my friends type-s trans adding a m-factory helical LSD (worth it) and tsx 6th gear. My only complaint with that setup is the 5th to 6th gear change had such a drop in rpm that it was really only useful at highway (55+) speeds. Otherwise the engine seemed to be a little labored and there was quite a drone. He chose that setup for fuel economy and could get 31-33 highway with a hondata tune and longtube headers.

Diff isn’t a drop in. You have to shim the carrier bearings correctly and they could take up to a week to get depending on the thickness you need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts