Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3-1/2 years ago, I got a 2007 TSX 6MT for a daily driver, with 132K+ miles on it.

Mostly, I've enjoyed the heck out of this car. It is a great blend of luxury and sportiness.

I've now gotten it up to 153,000 miles, and every year, have had to drop serious coin to fix or replace some major wear and tear item. I keep hoping I'll be clear for a while, but then another one bites me.

What are some other peoples' experiences with major wear/tear items on what is now going to be a 12+ year old car for everyone with a 1G TSX?

Leaving aside routine things like brake pads, batteries, tires, etc., on my car, it has gone like this:

2015 - ~130,000 miles - clutch replaced (previous owner)

2016 - ~135,000 miles - rear sway bar tie rod, spark plugs
Also, O2 sensor (prev. owner had removed cat converter, I replaced with a Magnaflow one)
And I replaced the APP sensor, to try to "smooth out" the car (seemed to work)

early 2017 - ~138,000 miles - alternator failed (got new one)
late 2017 - ~140,000 miles - all engine belts and tensioners
mid 2018 - ~144,000 miles - brake rotors and calipers
mid 2018 - ~147,000 miles - headlights leaking/condensing
late 2018 - ~148,000 miles - harmonic balancer
early 2019 - ~150,000 miles -
Grounding strap completely frayed (causing engine to cut out at low speeds),
New shocks and struts
Power Steering pump lacking pressure

uneven throttle response treated with throttle body and fuel system cleaner service

mid 2019 - ~153,000 miles - right now it's getting fixed for:
rack and pinion system (leaking PS fluid - to replace)
A/C compressor failing (to replace)
Transmission/engine mount bushings are getting loose
Suspension components getting torn/loose: front control arms/bushings, rear sway bar end links

Radiator is still OK, but "showing signs of extreme wear" (will probably need to replace it in the next 1-2 years)

What else is going to come up next?

In Honda's favor, all the electric stuff works 100% like new. Power seats, seat memory, sunroof, radio, dash lights, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like you have hit the common issues already. The first gen 6MTs are magic to drive. Good luck going forward!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting a little nervous continuing to invest in maintaining this 12+ year old car, I keep hoping I'm getting close to basically having close to a new car but for the engine (in a "Ship of Theseus" way) as I drop thousands of dollars here and there in dribs and drabs

Looking at the list of stuff I've already replaced, I'm hoping I'm around the horn. Aside from the engine and tranny/differential components, which I hope will remain solid, the radiator looks to be next, or various sensors.

How about the throttle body? Has anybody needed to replace that (where some kind of cleaning treatment didn't help)?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well, you're already nailing most of the bigger ticket repair items - ie steering rack, A/C compressor (make sure it didn't shit the bed through the lines or you'll be replacing the compressor again), alternator.

Stuff like brakes, belts, tensioners, engine mounts, bushings - those are all inevitable wear items. Can't say much about those.

To me, I'd rather have to replace a few wear items/non wear items each year than have to worry about a car payment. But I've always been one to enjoy older cars that you can modify without braking the bank and the TSX has proven to be great in that regard.

·
Registered
707 Posts
One thing to note is the old "do it right the first time" notion. What I mean by that is every time I have to replace an item I also look at other wear items around it that could all be done at the same time, saving me from having to pull the car apart multiple times.

For example. I had a torn LCA bushing, a LBJ, and an UBJ that needed work so I replaced all the LCA bushings, both upper and lower ball joints, and tie rods all at the same time. Keeps me from having to yank everything apart a few months/a year later.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I picked up my 2004 TSX from the original owner with a little over 100k miles several years ago. It has over 200k miles now and it's still holding up great. I'm a huge believer in regular maintenance. As far as major milestones, here are a few things to expect:

1. Replaced AC condenser after bearings failed
  2. Replaced clutch and flywheel due to bad throw out bearing
  3. Rebuilt power steering pump due to leak
  4. Replaced headlights due to condensation and yellowing
  5. Replaced radio/HVAC daughter board a second time after blown capacitor
  6. Replaced sagging headliner
I'm still on the original shocks/struts, springs, bushings (several are cracked but nothing critical,) calipers, and the paint is holding up just fine. The leather is doing great. No issues with the motor.

As far as minor stuff, I've replaced the battery several times, belts, several light bulbs, and added the OEM Aluminum look interior kit to hide the wear on the plastic. I need to dye the steering wheel where the leather finish has rubbed off on the side facing the door, but passengers can't see it.

Most people that get in the car can't believe it's 16 years old. The MPG has dropped a little over the years, but the uninstalled lower engine splash guard or my heavy right foot may be culprits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! I'm curious as-to around what mileage did you replace the wheel bearings, and power-steering? My power-steering went out on my 6th gen accord and was not a cheap fix, also every time I hear or feel something I question if it's my wheel bearings as I'm at 107k

Also your mpg may be easily fixed with some new iridium spark plugs or changing out/cleaning your K&N air filter!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I mentioned in my OP, my 2007 TSX is now just over 153,000 miles.

As for my fuel mileage, yes I intend to check and possibly to clean my K&N air filter, but mainly I think the compressor clutch had been seizing or dragging on the engine. This is because when it failed, as in my AC started to work increasingly intermittently, is when I noticed the drop in fuel economy, particularly in local city or congested highway driving... And then finally, white smoke coming out from under my car when I parked it shortly after the AC gave out the last time. Apparently due to belt friction.

After replacing the AC components, my fuel mileage is back to normal. 19-20 mpg on the trip meter for all city driving, which is about 0.5 to 1.0 mpg higher than what I appear to really be getting (gallons between fillups, divided by odometer reading). Highway mileage is of course much better, around 28-30 mpg on the trip meter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked-up a 2005 TSX MT with Navi @ 176K miles (from a first Owner car) a month ago here in Northern California - had all the maintenance records since the TSX was brand new at 15 miles.
Here are what I have replaced so far during this month:
1. 4 Brand New Tires
2. Replaced AC Compressor and AC Condenser (Previous owner replaced this once @ 117K miles with an aftermarket Compressor)
3. Replaced Front (Both left & Right) CV Axle Shaft Assembly - No more vibration between 50-60MPH (Never been replaced before)
4. Replaced both front windshield wipers

What is next?
1. Oil changed @ 180K miles - Will try the Castrol Edge Full Synthetic (Changed @ 175Kmiles)
2. @176K miles clutch/flywheel needs to be replaced - thinking about getting a (2 stage) racing clutch.
3. Looking to add a Bluetooth adapter - Maybe GROM or GTAcarkits.
4. Front Grille paint are chipping - looking for replacement
5. Repaint the Hood, Roof, and Truck (Both side/bumper are fine with the paint) due to Oxidation / Parking outside in California.

Showing 25.9MPG combined 60/40 Freeway and City. (Hopefully will improve after AC Compressor replaced)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Showing 25.9MPG combined 60/40 Freeway and City. (Hopefully will improve after AC Compressor replaced)
So here's what I've always wondered about the fuel mileage disparity I see between myself and others, even when I've learned to use the Instant MPG gauge to maximize my time coasting to conserve fuel.

In my 2007 TSX 6MT, I'm usually showing 20 to 22 MPG as the on-board reading when I fill up my tank, but usually putting in 12.25 to 12.5 gallons at 240-250 miles since the last refill. So the trip computer is about 1 to 1.5 mpg optimistic, in my experience.

I have the feeling my "local/highway" driving split is heavily to the "local" side, especially since even my stints on the highway invariably encounter stretches of congestion that have me crawling along in 1-3 gears for 15 minutes or more.

My "average speed" reading at fill-up time is anywhere from 18 to 22 MPH. What's your "average speed" at fill-up for a 60/40 freeway/local split?

(I also frequently make very short trips of 1-3 miles with 1-4 passengers, that also will kill my fuel economy, but now I'm curious about "average speed").

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
When driving safe and aggressive I get around 21-22MPG with my '04 TSX MT without any passengers. Strictly city is about 16-17MPG.

If I drive conservatively, add 4-5MPG to those figures.

My car has a K&N CAI and the lower engine cover is removed. With the cover back on, the highway MPG slightly increases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '05 TSX MT is at 176k and here are some of the things I had done outside of standard interval stuff:

1. 67k - clutch master cylinder (clicking noise when pressing down on the clutch pedal)
2. 124k - ignition coils
3. 126k - alternator
4. 165k - accelerator pedal sensor
5. 170k - PS pump, reverse light switch assembly.
6. 176K - clutch kit, rebuild transmission, new engine and transmission mounts, new starter. Transmission was getting hard to shift with some grinding and showed metal shavings in the fluid. Starter was still working but turned very slowly. Decided to do the clutch, motor + transmission mounts as well as clutch master and slave cylinders because they were already working on the car.

Just got my car back from the transmission rebuild and the shifts are effortless. (y)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My '05 TSX MT is at 176k and here are some of the things I had done outside of standard interval stuff:

1. 67k - clutch master cylinder (clicking noise when pressing down on the clutch pedal)
2. 124k - ignition coils
3. 126k - alternator
4. 165k - accelerator pedal sensor
5. 170k - PS pump, reverse light switch assembly.
6. 176K - clutch kit, rebuild transmission, new engine and transmission mounts, new starter. Transmission was getting hard to shift with some grinding and showed metal shavings in the fluid. Starter was still working but turned very slowly. Decided to do the clutch, motor + transmission mounts as well as clutch master and slave cylinders because they were already working on the car.

Just got my car back from the transmission rebuild and the shifts are effortless. (y)
So you hit 176K miles and decided to rebuild the transmission, tranny mounts, AND replace the engine, clutch, and starter, all in one go? What did that set you back? Worth doing over getting a new(er) car?

I think if I got to a point where both my tranny and my engine were shot, I'd be done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nothing was wrong with the engine, we put in new mounts since the transmission was already out. We definitely thought about another car. The mindset was to see what was out there in terms of a entry level luxury vehicle with a manual transmission. I didn't really think the options were enticing. Not many manuals left. If we bought something used, we would run into the same type of repairs within 50k. I think the only one that really held up the the decision was a used Golf R. Decided to just do the repairs, drive it for another 50K and see what else comes onto the market. I think at this point for me its more of enjoying the manual transmission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’ve had some substantial repairs, including a new clutch, this year at 175k miles. I also did the same calculus about buying new. The Genesis G70 and BMW M240 were the most appealing sticks I could find, but neither seemed appreciably better. So I got the repairs done and hope the next year or two will not need as many repairs. The first gen 6MT drives like magic.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My TSX experience is kinda limited. I bought an 07 5AT with 180k about a year ago. It was unmolested, had almost no maintenance history (just the big 110k done at the local dealer), and showed itself to be behind on maintenance when I got it. Like the ATF was black but not burnt and shifts were a little rough. Air filters were disgusting. The rear brakes and rotors were barely enough to pass inspection. Owner was really flexible about price as I pointed things out. My read was the person didn't wasn't shady or unreasonable, they just didn't know about cars. And these were all things i could DIY and one might put off while getting ready to move into a new car. It did meet state inspection so I could get it driving ASAP, which I really needed.

After catching up on all the delayed maintenance over the past year, the car runs fantastic. I'm at 210k and getting 34MPG doing 90% highway driving. Previous highway driving was ~29.8 MPG.

This month I tackled the valve adjustment (per MM) and replace spark plugs. The engine looked great inside. Technically, spark plugs are coming up next OCI. No clue why Honda didn't spec for both to be done at the same time. It makes a lot more sense to me to just replace them when I had to take the old ones out. I also replaced the serpentine belt because there was a slight squeal I could periodically hear if the hood was open. I did have an occasional low idle at stop lights before this work, and that's 100% licked now. Couldn't tell you what fixed it, though.

I did have to replace a failed sun visor, which seems pretty common. I bought 2 from the junk yard and kept the passenger one as backup.

The next oil change I'm going to do another drain and fill on the ATF. Not because I notice any shifting issues after my first d&f. I just know that ~40% of the fluid in there is beyond done and peace of mind is worth $20 to me.

I think the compressor is shot. It was supposedly replaced with a salvage compressor at the beginning of last summer (1.5 years ago). I couldn't visually find any signs of leaks. I'll get that addressed next spring.

The shop tells me that it's getting pretty difficult to keep my alignment perfect and camber is just not happening, but it's not out by much. I'm debating getting an adjustable replacement part for camber vs. paying to have all that stuff fixed. Where I live it's really flat and I'm easy on tires given how I use the car.

Cosmetically, my leather seats are beat up pretty bad and the plastic under the car is, as well. Every once in a while I scope out the local junk yard inventory

·
Registered
1 Posts
My TSX experience is kinda limited. I bought an 07 5AT with 180k about a year ago. It was unmolested, had almost no maintenance history (just the big 110k done at the local dealer), and showed itself to be behind on maintenance when I got it. Like the ATF was black but not burnt and shifts were a little rough. Air filters were disgusting. The rear brakes and rotors were barely enough to pass inspection. Owner was really flexible about price as I pointed things out. My read was the person didn't wasn't shady or unreasonable, they just didn't know about cars. And these were all things i could DIY and one might put off while getting ready to move into a new car. It did meet state inspection so I could get it driving ASAP, which I really needed.

After catching up on all the delayed maintenance over the past year, the car runs fantastic. I'm at 210k and getting 34MPG doing 90% highway driving. Previous highway driving was ~29.8 MPG.

This month I tackled the valve adjustment (per MM) and replace spark plugs. The engine looked great inside. Technically, spark plugs are coming up next OCI. No clue why Honda didn't spec for both to be done at the same time. It makes a lot more sense to me to just replace them when I had to take the old ones out. I also replaced the serpentine belt because there was a slight squeal I could periodically hear if the hood was open. I did have an occasional low idle at stop lights before this work, and that's 100% licked now. Couldn't tell you what fixed it, though.

I did have to replace a failed sun visor, which seems pretty common. I bought 2 from the junk yard and kept the passenger one as backup.

The next oil change I'm going to do another drain and fill on the ATF. Not because I notice any shifting issues after my first d&f. I just know that ~40% of the fluid in there is beyond done and peace of mind is worth $20 to me.

I think the compressor is shot. It was supposedly replaced with a salvage compressor at the beginning of last summer (1.5 years ago). I couldn't visually find any signs of leaks. I'll get that addressed next spring.

The shop tells me that it's getting pretty difficult to keep my alignment perfect and camber is just not happening, but it's not out by much. I'm debating getting an adjustable replacement part for camber vs. paying to have all that stuff fixed. Where I live it's really flat and I'm easy on tires given how I use the car.

Cosmetically, my leather seats are beat up pretty bad and the plastic under the car is, as well. Every once in a while I scope out the local junk yard inventory

·
Registered
38 Posts
2004 5AT @ 112k mi:

Power steering pump seals
Timing chain, tensioner and guides
Engine and transmission mounts
Paint refresh hood and top.
Idler pulley
AC clutch
Complete ATF flush
Complete coolant flush