Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saturday I picked up a CG/quartz 6MT w/ Navi. I have followed the TSX since Feb 03. I am almost bought the exact same combo this summer, TWICE. They had the same combo at both dealerships near me, but I didn’t bite. Instead I waited and placed the car on order 11/05/03. Now it is nearly 4 months later it is all mine. :D It has certainly been a very long wait.

I am new to this forum, but I have been active on other ones. I see that Larchmount is hanging out here these days. We miss you guy. I hope you make an appearence over there sometime. I thought you might want to here my news, so I posted here.

My TSX is everything I thought it would be and more. I drove it off the lot with only 6.5 miles. So far on the trip computer I am getting better than 25 mpg in mixed driving. I will just have to see what the actual mileage is when I fill up. From the many reports of bad mileage for the 6MT on this forum must say I am delighted that mine doesn’t appear to have that problem. Maybe I up-shift at lower rpm than some? :dunno:

Actually I am totally delighted. The car has surpassed my expectations in every way. No rattles! Beautiful styling in and out! Voice recognition and Navi work great, no glitches. Great sound system! Good mileage! Smooth! Quiet! Great handling! Damn, is it fast!

It is an improvement in every area over my previous car, a 1993 Acura Vigor GS 5MT. And I absolutely loved my Vigor.

I am a very proud papa. Here are my first pics!!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hey, PRB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I saw your name on the board, it was almost like, screw the car, PRB is here!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting your TSX at last. What a wait! I mean, whaaaaaaaaaat a wait. And even it's better than the Vigor.
BTW what did you do with that car?

And maybe just as importantly: How did you find us?

P.S. Great of you to say I should come back "over there," but sounds like maybe you're not aware of what happened? If not, there's plenty explaining it over here (mostly under Off Topic), and some of the story is "over there" too. (Not all of it, because the site owner deleted/blocked most of the relevant posts, most of which BTW were not by me.)

I haven't tried to get anybody to LEAVE that site to come here, but I have said that I hope people come here as well.
And also.....I'm NOT looking for you to notify people over there about this site. At least one person (maybe more) who did this over there was banned.

How indeed did you find us? People over there, including at least one mod, had an awfully hard time doing it even when they tried.

As you know I also think the car is fast. It surprises me that so many people are disappointed in the power.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to CYA Larch!!!

I traded in the Vigor. I tried to find it a good home, but no takers. If had been in a little better cash flow situation I would have kept it. But, if that was the case I would have bought the TSX last summer.

I don't want to get into what happened over there. I am sure you had your reasons for leaving, but I rather not get involved. I was never banned at our orginally site either and I visit there as well. I have been a lurker here long before you switched to this forum, but I don't think I was a member here before today. So this makes 3 TSX forums where I am a member and vtec.net also.

I love my TSX. I will miss the classic look of the Vigor. Mine was black with cognac/wood interior, but time must march on.

I will check this site out and see what you are up to from time to time.

BTW - the oracle has confirmed a IMA AWD 250 hp TSX version in the future, same as the RDX. We will just have to see if he is right.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
.....I traded in the Vigor. I tried to find it a good home, but no takers.....
I love my TSX. I will miss the classic look of the Vigor. Mine was black with cognac/wood interior, but time must march on.....

BTW - the oracle has confirmed a IMA AWD 250 hp TSX version in the future, same as the RDX. We will just have to see if he is right.
Yes, I know. When you come right down to it, "the oracle" is that site's most important member. Hopefully we will eventually have some semi-insider on this site too.

Yes, too bad you couldn't keep the Vigor, or at least do a good private sale. BTW if you couldn't get much more on a private sale than you did on your trade-in, I would think that probably means you got a reasonably good deal on the trade-in. I hope that's so.

Great to see you here, hope you will indeed continue to visit often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got about $200 above NADA trade in value, but I paid cost for the car. Not too bad from a dealer that can't keep a TSX in their inventory. It has been weeks since they have had any to test drive.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Seems like a good opportunity to sings the praises of the Acura Vigor.

To me the car is a bit legendary (no pun..... :D) -- I've never been in one, and only seen a few, very few. Really I know it just from what I've read -- originally in mags, more recently on the sites, plus what I can guess from the specs and what I know about Honda/Acura in general.

I always thought of it as a car that was just a bit more of a driver's car than the Legend (or RL or "old" TL), but probably less comfy. Maybe kind of like a bigger and earlier RSX. Also I somehow always thought its reliability was less than other Acura models, although on the sites people say mostly that the reliability was good, and now that I go back and check to see what the reliability ratings really were, I see that Consumer Reports always gave it a top ranking. And it's a good reflection that PRB's Vigor served him so well for so long.

But about the reliability, I wonder why we don't still see more Vigors. I know that there weren't that many to begin with, but you'd think we'd still see some. Maybe I just don't know where to look :D but as I've said elsewhere, I still see Legends from the late '80's, which are older than any Vigor, but I haven't seen a Vigor in several years. I know that "reliability" doesn't exactly mean "lasting a long time" but obviously there is a correlation.

Anyway.....I'm surprised that PRB wasn't able to get a good private sale, because I would have thought there's a goodly number of Vigor-philes out there. The car was great to begin with, and I would have thought that when they stopped being made, there would have been an uptick in demand for the ones that are still around -- and that as time goes on, the ones that are still running would be in real demand.

How about a big round of applause for the Vigor. :mardi:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually this was my 2nd Vigor. To refresh your memory Larch I had a 92 Vigor, 95 2.5 TL, 97 3.0 CL (mistake) all new and then I purchased a 93 Vigor used with 100K miles on it and I put another 50K on. My original plan was to put about 30K on the car and buy a TL and keep my fun to drive Vigor for the weekend. When I heard about the TSX, that changed everything.

The Vigor is a very reliable car with in my opinion and that of some service guys I know the best engine Acura made it the 90's. 2.5 Liter inline 5 (also on the 2.5 TL). The local dealer has never taking the heads off a Honda 2.5L 5 for example. The car was very comfy, especially with the leather interior of the GS. Acura never pushed the sales and some critics didn't like the rear leg room. About the same as the Legend Coupe or a BMW 3-series. The weight balance on the car is 60/40 and the engine is longitudinal like the Legend. It made for a great driving car.

I didn't try very hard to sell the car since I had already made a deal with the dealer. Vigors, especially black ones are common here. A lot of young girls in the horse farm buss. like the car. I don't think they will have much trouble making good money on the car.

My Vigor

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
.....A lot of young girls in the horse farm buss. like the car.....
Is that the wildest thing we've ever seen on an Acura forum or what??? :D

Hmmm let's seeeeee......

Target buyers

TSX: 20's-30's, up-and-coming, fun oriented, 50-100K per year, predominantly male

Vigor: young girls in the horse farm business

BTW I'm surprised that PRB included the BMW 3-series in that group about rear leg room. I had a 320i and I always had the impression that the rear room and rear comfort in general were quite poor. I'm quite sure it was WAY worse than the Legend sedan, and I would imagine the Legend coupe was comparable to the sedan. I'm pretty sure that even the TSX is not only superior to the 320i on this, but significantly superior.

OCICBW.... :D

P.S. THANKS FOR THE PICS!!!!! (Great job.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Combined Legroom

1993 Vigor 74.0
1993 Legend Sedan 76.2
1993 Legend Coupe 71.6
1993 BMW 325 75.1 (you were right at the BMW Larch)

2004 TSX 76.6 (note: more than Legend)
2004 TL 77.1

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
prballard said:
Combined Legroom

1993 Vigor 74.0
1993 Legend Sedan 76.2
1993 Legend Coupe 71.6
1993 BMW 325 75.1 (you were right at the BMW Larch)

2004 TSX 76.6 (note: more than Legend)
2004 TL 77.1
Well, actually it looks like he's giving me more credit than I deserve, because I think those numbers say I was just as much wrong as right!
Unless the 320 had a lot less room than the 325, which seems doubtful. Anyway I was really talking about 3's in general.

I wouldn't have thought the Legend coupe was so much smaller in the back than the sedan.

Also it's a huge surprise that the TL has only a half inch more than the TSX.

----------------------------

But, all of that said -- not to be nihilistic (good word :D ), but as I've said several times elsewhere, I haven't found interior specs to be very useful. All too often, we see numbers that just don't jibe with actual experience, and so I don't rely at all on them. I suspect there's a lot of "artifact" in interior specs, meaning.....well I don't know exactly what it would mean. Maybe there isn't good standardization of how the numbers are taken, maybe the companies don't believe in them too much either so they assign their trainees to do the measurements. :D

So, although I started this post by taking the numbers at face value, I really don't.
I'm skeptical that the TL has only half an inch more leg room than the TSX.
I'm skeptical that the BMW 3-series is as good compared to its comp cars as those numbers would suggest.

To give another example: Take the Saab 9-3 and the TSX. The interior rear numbers show the Saab to be roomier. I'm quite sure it's not.

When comparing the rear seating of different cars, I've learned to pretty much ignore the numbers and rely on the subjective narrative descriptions of the mags and postings. Plus best of all, of course, trying the cars yourself.

But the numbers are always interesting anyway. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have found the combined legroom is a pretty good number for a comparison basis. That is why I used it instead of the rear legroom number. If you only use the rear legroom then I think you are right the numbers don't mean much. It is curious how they measure those numbers. I bet it is from some government guide from the 40's or something like that. 1blue1.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome prballard.

Nice to have you onboard.

Congratulations on your new car.

I hope you post here more often. I enjoyed reading your posts on the other forum.

By the way, that was one sharp looking Vigor. I do a double take whenever I see one on the road which is not often. I always really liked their styling and specially the factory wheels it came with.

Are you sure the 2.5 TL also came with the 5 cylinder engine? I thought the Vigor was the only car with a five cylinder engine sold by Honda/Acura in the United States. Didn't the 2.5 Tl have a six cylinder engine? Did it come with 2 engine choices?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome prb! How does the Vigor's performance and handling compare to the TSX? I had a few friends with the Vigor several years ago and they always commented that it's a fast car.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Welcome aboard, prballard. Whoa, that is a lot of Acuras you've owned in your lifetime. Hope the TSX will fully meet your expectations and continue your streak.

BTW, I think I remember you as the class act who's wife accidently scraped the wheel during a TSX test drive long time ago. You 'fessed up, bought the wheel, and took it home, but not the car. Are you planning to replace your donut with that extra rim? (If it fits in the wheel well that is).

Congratulations on your new car purchase. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whatchamacallit said:
Welcome aboard, prballard. Whoa, that is a lot of Acuras you've owned in your lifetime. Hope the TSX will fully meet your expectations and continue your streak.

BTW, I think I remember you as the class act who's wife accidently scraped the wheel during a TSX test drive long time ago. You 'fessed up, bought the wheel, and took it home, but not the car. Are you planning to replace your donut with that extra rim? (If it fits in the wheel well that is).

Congratulations on your new car purchase. :thumbsup:
Yes, that was me. I believe it will fit, but I haven't checked yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carlos8542222 said:
Welcome prballard.

Nice to have you onboard.

Congratulations on your new car.

I hope you post here more often. I enjoyed reading your posts on the other forum.

By the way, that was one sharp looking Vigor. I do a double take whenever I see one on the road which is not often. I always really liked their styling and specially the factory wheels it came with.

Are you sure the 2.5 TL also came with the 5 cylinder engine? I thought the Vigor was the only car with a five cylinder engine sold by Honda/Acura in the United States. Didn't the 2.5 Tl have a six cylinder engine? Did it come with 2 engine choices?
The first generation had a 2.5 TL with an inline 5 and a 3.2TL with a V6. I owned the 2.5TL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kiteboy said:
Welcome prb! How does the Vigor's performance and handling compare to the TSX? I had a few friends with the Vigor several years ago and they always commented that it's a fast car.
The Vigor is a great car. I drives very similar to the TSX IMO. That is one of the reasons I bought the TSX. It had double-wishbone suspension like the TSX and 176hp, 170 lb-ft torque. So, quite a bit less HP and slightly more torque. It is a very quick car and I think that is good way to describe the TSX.

I had a famous thread on the first forum I was on that I said the TSX was a better replacement for the Vigor than the Integra. The Integra owners there were not very happy with me, but I really believe it the true.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts