Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here. I need a cheap daily driver with automatic transmission and 4cyl that's not a total snoozefest but is comfortable. The TSX seems like a good option. I don't know much about them but a friend had one a while back and I liked it.

I am about to check out a 2005 car with 160k miles. I will use ChrisFix's used car checklist but I'm wondering if there's anything more model-specific I should look at. I'm a bit worried about the automatic transmission, have had mixed anecdotes about Honda automatics in the family.

I can do repairs near the "edges" of the car by myself (have done timing belt, valve cover gasket, distributor, CV axles, brakes, some electronics on my current car) but nothing that requires removing the engine. A transmission failure would be catastrophic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The autos are actually pretty stout, given that it has been maintained. Obviously if the fluid is dark brown or black then it could have some issues. They do have inline filters as well and you can use an oem one from an accord as a replacement.

The issues I found from doing research when I was looking for one is the pass. side axle, headunit fails to illuminate, starter, pass side door lock actuator, glove box, ps pump seals and the dreaded corroded ecu.

Now it’s not to say that every TSX ever produced all had these issues, but some are inevitable. Keep in mind that the previous owner(s) have probably had these issues sorted by now since they would have happened years ago. Check the car fax if you can ask for any maintenance records.

I would just take it to a shop and have them go over it and plug it in.

Always go WOT on the test drive since the vtec doesn’t activate till around 5800 rpm or so. The power band has a more linear feel being a drive by wire than a cable throttle in a 90’s Honda. Alot of ppl don’t like it, but it’s alright once you get used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the car had a rough idle and an apparent oil leak from the timing belt side, so I passed.

I went WOT on the highway and got close to redline. Felt like the car wasn't pulling very hard for having 200hp. I haven't tried any other examples so I'm not sure if that is expected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new member here. I need a cheap daily driver with automatic transmission and 4cyl that's not a total snoozefest but is comfortable. The TSX seems like a good option. I don't know much about them but a friend had one a while back and I liked it.

I am about to check out a 2005 car with 160k miles. I will use ChrisFix's used car checklist but I'm wondering if there's anything more model-specific I should look at. I'm a bit worried about the automatic transmission, have had mixed anecdotes about Honda automatics in the family.

I can do repairs near the "edges" of the car by myself (have done timing belt, valve cover gasket, distributor, CV axles, brakes, some electronics on my current car) but nothing that requires removing the engine. A transmission failure would be catastrophic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts