Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I just recently purchased a 2006 TSX with navigation. I am planning to replace the factory setup with an aftermarket double din unit to get car play etc in the vehicle. I know I will lose the factory navigation, and I'm ok with that. I prefer to use something like Waze through car play anyway. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate with the factory amplifier. If I connect RCA plugs to the speaker leads on the aftermarket radio integration harness and plug them in to the RCA output on an aftermarket head unit will that retain the factory amplifier and allow it to work as it did with the factory radio? Or, am I better off bypassing the factory amplifier and using the amplifier built in to the aftermarket head unit? I'll be using the Metra 99-7809B dash kit even though the replacement AC controls aren't very pretty. I am also looking for details on retaining the factory steering wheel controls. Does anyone have any details on what connection this car uses? Right now I'm looking at a PAC Audio ControlPRO 5.

Thanks in advance!

-Red Lightning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update on the install I did. I did go with the Metra 99-7809B dash kit and harness. The harness that comes with the kit is actually pretty cool. It is a custom harness made for the kit. It has plugs to feed illumination to the Heating and AC controls, as well as a direct plug in spot for the Axxess ASWC-1 module so it is a direct plug-n-play affair for the steering wheel controls. As such I ended up going with the Axxess module instead of the PAC ControlPRO 5. I ended up soldering a pair of Rockford Fosgate RFI2SW Adapter Cables to the speaker inputs on the Metra Harness to convert the speaker inputs to RCA. I then connected the RCAs to the pre-amp outputs on my new head unit. This worked perfectly and sounds great. The only road bump I ran in to is that I went with an Alpine ILX-W650 head unit. The Alpine has both a Power Antenna output, and a Remote Turn on output. I connected the Power Antenna output to the Power Antenna input for the Metra Harness and left the Remote Turn on lead to be used for a future sub woofer install. The problem I hit was that the Alpine unit only powers up the Power Antenna output when the FM or AM tuner is being listened to. So as soon as I switched to a different source the factory amp would turn off. I fixed this by switching to the Remote Turn on lead instead of the Power Antenna lead. Over all I am very pleased with this combination. The shallow mount Alpine ILX-W650 prevented me from having to cut anything out of the dash to do the install. I added a USB port in the center console next to the power port and AUX in connector. I was also able to retain the factory AUX in port by using a Scosche HAAXB cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts