Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a minimal drop (less than one inch) but a stiffer sporty ride and I was hoping for some feedback. I seem to be between konis and springs or Coilovers. Each option seems to have their advantages and disadvantages.

Koni/Springs -
Most lowering springs seem to offer more drop than I am looking for and the ones that don't drop much barely increase the spring rate.

Coilovers -
I like the idea of coilovers but most people slam their rides and I want to know how high they can really go.

Options I have considered:
H&R OE Sport (conservative drop but weak spring rate)
Eibach Prokit (Lowers a bit much for my taste but I like the spring rate)
Tein Street Basis (these look like they won't be able to go as high as I want)
H&R Coilovers (I hear these are on the softer side)

Any advice will be appreciated.

Crazy Idea Warning - I have this crazy idea to get the Koni's/prokit and stack some washers between the "ring" and spring perch in order to adjust/raise the spring perch. I wish it was possible to get the older koni's with the 5 spring perches.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What's the spring rate for H&R OR Sport?
I think those should be a good match for Koni yellow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't stack spacers, if you look at the perch closely you'll see a groove in it that goes over the circlip preventing them from opening and letting the perch drop. Have a machine shop cut more gtooves in the shock instead.

I like my KONI/ProKit setup on my second gen.

Stan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allow me to explain my crazy idea further, I intend to leave the circlip and "ring" alone. (As you pointed out, the ring has a downward bend to prevent the circlip from expanding and jumping out of the groove.) Then the Spring perch simply sits on top of the ring. My idea is to add some spacers between the "ring" and the spring perch. In theory, this would allow me to raise the spring perch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think you are missing something. There are only 2 pieces -- circlip and perch. Circlip goes in the groove on shock body, perch sits on circlip. Perch has notch for circlip to resess into. You can kind of see it here:

You are overthinking it, use the original design and have more grooves cut on the shock body.

Stan

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stan. I guess the picture I was looking at must have been for gc coilovers or something?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could be. I've thought of doing what you want to do too. Another option you have is spacers that go between tophats and body. I've ran those on a Subaru. You could make them yourself from HDPE (plastic), people buy cheap kitchen cutting boards and cut them themselves. 1/4" should do.

Some threaded sleeves like the GC but using KONI perch for stock style springs would be slick, but you may have to alter the perches.

Stan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.