Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm new to the club. I picked up my TSX just before xmas and since then I have been debating on whether I want to lower the car or not. I live in Toronto and the weather is finally starting to warm up so I have made a decision. I'm planning on getting 18x7.5 rims with tires 225/35/18, but I don't know what suspension to get. I had an RSX type s prior to getting the TSX. I had an eibach pro kit with stock shocks. The ride was comfortable. When I got my TSX the ride quality between the RSX and the TSX was like night and day. I'm so use to the ride now, that I don't want to sacrifice much on ride quality, but I still want my car to sit nice on 18's. Now you know my dilemma.

I'm strongly considering getting the a-spec suspension, but am also thinking of going with comptech's or Eibach Pro kit. I read on the forum that eibach now sells a kit which includes the shocks. Has anyone tried these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics of your lowered tsx would also help.

Thanks in advanced.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club mr_burnzz :wavey:

I'd go with struts, and springs (with matching spring rates). With that said, Mugen (depending on how much you want to spend), or the A-Spec suspension. Both are about a 1" drop, with no camber kit needed. :thumbsup:

Here is my TSX with the Mugen suspension : http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619&highlight=mugen+suspension

There are also many threads here regarding the A-Spec suspension :thumbsup:

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
If Ground Control makes applications for your car, then go for it. Eibach makes all of their springs so you get top quality products at a very reduced price since you arent paying for the name.

·
Carm
44 Posts
Hi,
I just came back from lowering my car today. I used the eibach springs pro kit. The ride is wonderful. It lowers it just enough to make it look real nice. It was either btwn tein or eibach. I spoke to many people, and tein was a little cheaper, but I believe eibach is a little better. That's my opinion. I live in Toronto too, so right now is a good time to lower your car. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the all of the great info so far. tsx2208 do you have any pictures of your car after you lowered it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
mr_burnzz said:
Hi guys,

I'm new to the club. I picked up my TSX just before xmas and since then I have been debating on whether I want to lower the car or not. I live in Toronto and the weather is finally starting to warm up so I have made a decision. I'm planning on getting 18x7.5 rims with tires 225/35/18, but I don't know what suspension to get. I had an RSX type s prior to getting the TSX. I had an eibach pro kit with stock shocks. The ride was comfortable. When I got my TSX the ride quality between the RSX and the TSX was like night and day. I'm so use to the ride now, that I don't want to sacrifice much on ride quality, but I still want my car to sit nice on 18's. Now you know my dilemma.

I'm strongly considering getting the a-spec suspension, but am also thinking of going with comptech's or Eibach Pro kit. I read on the forum that eibach now sells a kit which includes the shocks. Has anyone tried these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics of your lowered tsx would also help.

Thanks in advanced.
First of all, you don't want 225/35/18 tires. Way too small. 225/40/18 is still small, but would work with a drop. 235/40/18 is the correct diameter, and will work with a 7.5" rim, but might stick out a little depending on what offset you get; 48-50 would be ideal but are hard to find.

The A-Spec kit doesn't drop the front that much, from pics I've seen the Mugen comes down a little more. If you live anywhere where roads are bad, you will blow through your stock struts on aftermarket springs in short order, so get some Koni's right from the start if you don't get a pre built kit. The Eibach ProSystem has not shipped yet......

·
Registered
180 Posts
mr burnzz,

What do you favor more? Lower stance or better ride quality? A-specs would be the way to go for the overall balance btw handling and near stock like ride. The Eibach Pro-System would give a lower stance. Don't know how they would ride as no one has tried them yet. Should still give a fairly decent ride quality.

I would not recommend installing Eibach springs alone. Initially, the car will be OK. But, as the stock shocks wear out, the ride quality will deteriorate. Several people have noted this happening when they installed Eibach pro-kits only.

The current Comptech springs (part# 110-160) are made for Comptech by Eibach and are essentially identical to Eibach's Pro-Kit spring.

The older version of the Comptech spring (part# 110-155) have a milder drop - about the same as A-spec, ie. 1" or so all around and would likely work fairly well with stock shocks b/c the spring rates are not much firmer than stock. You can still get this older version by simply buying the Comptech TL springs, which are the same part# 110-155.

For my set up, I paired the Comptech 110-155s w/ Neuspeed Koni shocks. The ride quality is very smooth and handling has noticeably improved. During normal driving situations, I doubt if people would notice the slightly firmer ride. Here's how my car sits w/ this combo:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks to everyone for your replies. I now have more than enough information to narrow down my decision. It's now between the A-Spec and Eibach Pro-kit springs with koni shocks. I will see what kind of prices I can get in Canada (brokrage fees for shipping accross the border are ridiculous.) I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Im telling you, see if Ground Control makes springs for your car. Eibach makes their springs and they sell them at a much lower price then those with the Eibach brand name... yet you get the same specs and quality.

If you relly want the best ride/performance quality you should get a dedicated set of real coilovers though, not a mixed and matched spring/shock combo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a TSX w/Ground Control coilovers so I'm sure they have an application for our cars. I have had good results w/ Ground Control coilover sleeves + Eibach race springs + KYB AGX shocks on my Infiniti G20.

That said, with the wide range of fully tuned coilovers available from Tein, Tanabe, D2, H&R, etc., I would rather get one of these than Ground Control.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
I don't see any applications listed for the TSX on the Ground Control website.....it's just as well, though, because you REALLY don't want to buy a coil sleeve kit and spring only. It would lead to a tendency to lower the car too much for the stock strut.

Actually, even just the ProKit spring by itself has in most cases proven to be too much for the stock struts, with most people reporting failure within 10K. For the few who don't, I can only speculate that they drive on glass smooth roads and never push their car hard.........

The Koni strut is much better than the stock strut both from a ride and handling standpoint, and is designed to work with a lowering spring. And because it offers adjustability and a small amount of height adjustment, it can be fine tuned to your application. Only if you choose a very stiff spring will ride quality be seriously compromised. The Neuspeed version of the Koni is the best deal out there.

The A-Spec setup is still a great choice for improved handling with no compromise in ride quality. It doesn't have the dropped look however, if that is one of your goals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lanny's right. Definitely do not get the Ground Control w/ stock struts. Must use upgraded struts w/ the Ground Control set up.

Koni would be a good choice as Ground Control makes a threaded collar that is designed to lock onto the adjustable C-clip of the Koni shock.

Still, I think it would be easier to buy a complete coilover system rather than to piece together one using aftermkt shocks and Ground Control coil over sleeves - unless none of what's available suits your needs and you have an exact idea of what spring rates and length you want, what shock you want, etc.

THat's one benefit of Ground Control - there is a HUGE range of available spring rates and lengths available.

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
Indeed. A good set of AFFORDABLE performance shock/struts are the KYB AGX. completly adjustable and these thigns are AWESOME. The middle setting is great for daily riving and the higher is good for smooth tracks. I love mine, especially for ay in and day out performance driving (from point a to point b, heh). Only cost me 350 for the set too!

·
Vancouver, B.C.
255 Posts
JoeB18R.. how long have u been using the KYB AGX? n that's shock/struts, rite.. what springs are u using? please excuse my knowledge about lowering cars.. lol.. dunno much about it..

·
Sleeperus-Maximus
164 Posts
I have had my KYB shocks for about a year now. The KYB AGXs are cool because their dampening is adjustable. On my front from 1-4 and on the rear from 1-8. 1 being softest and 8 being stiffest. And I tell you what, there is a HUGE difference between 1 and 8. In fact one is too soft, the car feels like a floaty boat. On 8 its too stiff for anything but brand new freeway or the track. I have mine set to 2 front and 5 rear for daily driving. It works very well with my spring rates...

...Skunk Werks (got them before it was Skunk 2 Racing) springs. Although they arent JUST springs, the springs are on an adjustable perch so its ride height adjustable from stock to something like -3 inches.

I set mineso that the bottom of my fender barely covers the top tread of the tires. Something like 1.2" lower then stock. Any lower would hurt performance and only be for show, and Im not into that at all.

Really though I just set it and forget it, so I think Im going to ditch these (Ive had them for 4+ years) and Im going to get some dedicated springs without adjustable perches.

The combination works great, dont get me wrong. But its a little too stiff because IM using springs for an Integra. Its heavier then my car so the springs are stiffer. Im looking for a smoother ride, so I think Im going to get some Ground Controls or some Tien street/track springs.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
My buddy is running AGXs on his WRX, pretty happy with them. No AGXs listed for the TSX yet though, or for the '03 Accord, only the GR-2, which is really only an oem replacement strut, not a high performance unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts