Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, quick rundown of the car.
2006 MT 99K miles.
As far as suspension mods, it has full tein SS coils, progress rear sway bar, and comptech front strut car.
So at higher speed, 75+ it feels like the car goes where it wants, even crosses into other lanes, and when i try to steer, it aggressively goes where i steer.

My first thought was allignment, but i took it to a shop and they checked it and made sure its all good and it was. So now im stuck, what could it possibly be? Some bushing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Check the tie rods, inner and outer. Then check the wheel hub and bearings. Jack up the front of the car , then grab ahold of the left or right wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, wiggle it left and right with a strong jerk.there should be no play there. If there is then you gotta check if its the inner or outer tie rod. Now grab ahold at 12 and 6 o'clock and check if there is any play there. If the is then ot would be a hub and bearing issue. If its happening when you brake check that non of the front brake calipers are frozen.

Just a place to start at. Let us know how it goes. You should have no free play up and down or left and right.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Wait how bad is the car pulling at 75+ mph? To me it sounds like it's overpowering you or something. And when you said that you try to steer it, what do you mean by "aggressively" goes where you steer? Like your power steering became really really soft and pushed the steering to where you turned it? Is the car doing exactly what you're describing?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
endlinks or compliance bushings?
Ill look into it.
First guess would be incorrect toe then loose sways/endlinks.
The shop said toe is fine, ill get the car is the air and inspect further.
Check the tie rods, inner and outer. Then check the wheel hub and bearings. Jack up the front of the car , then grab ahold of the left or right wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, wiggle it left and right with a strong jerk.there should be no play there. If there is then you gotta check if its the inner or outer tie rod. Now grab ahold at 12 and 6 o'clock and check if there is any play there. If the is then ot would be a hub and bearing issue. If its happening when you brake check that non of the front brake calipers are frozen.

Just a place to start at. Let us know how it goes. You should have no free play up and down or left and right.
Alright, thanks for this info, i will do that when i have the car jacked up.
Wait how bad is the car pulling at 75+ mph? To me it sounds like it's overpowering you or something. And when you said that you try to steer it, what do you mean by "aggressively" goes where you steer? Like your power steering became really really soft and pushed the steering to where you turned it? Is the car doing exactly what you're describing?
I guess I didn't make myself clear. It feels like the car steers where i don't want it to, and when i try to fix by steering back a little in the other direction, it does, but then it steers too far. Its hard to explain. I just don't have control over it.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
I guess I didn't make myself clear. It feels like the car steers where i don't want it to, and when i try to fix by steering back a little in the other direction, it does, but then it steers too far. Its hard to explain. I just don't have control over it.
Ok, Im being very serious when I say this. Do not drive this car. This is dangerous as its usually a very very very worn part that has alot of play and will likely fail.

Do you have the print out the alignment shop gave you after checking it? If so please post it up, if you didnt get one dont go back to them again and get another alignment.

As others have said, you need to check your compliance bushings, upper and lower control arms (bushings and ball joints), tie rod ends and the steering rack. The issue is most likely in the front of the car. BUT you should still check all of the joints in the rear.

When you turn your wheel from left to right or right to left quickly do you hear clunking?

When driving did you hear a wobbling noise like big off road tires make?

Do you notice the car less stable in corners?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
^ Yup it's the reason why I asked if it was exactly as he described just to see if it was a little exaggerated. Cause if it wasn't that is extremely dangerous to drive around in. Get it checked out or don't drive it fast. If I recall correctly most highways in Oregon don't let you drive that fast?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, Im being very serious when I say this. Do not drive this car. This is dangerous as its usually a very very very worn part that has alot of play and will likely fail.

Do you have the print out the alignment shop gave you after checking it? If so please post it up, if you didnt get one dont go back to them again and get another alignment.

As others have said, you need to check your compliance bushings, upper and lower control arms (bushings and ball joints), tie rod ends and the steering rack. The issue is most likely in the front of the car. BUT you should still check all of the joints in the rear.

When you turn your wheel from left to right or right to left quickly do you hear clunking?

When driving did you hear a wobbling noise like big off road tires make?

Do you notice the car less stable in corners?
I don't have the printout. But its a reputable shop here in town. I can drive my brothers truck for a while until its sorted out.

I do hear a clunk when i turn left to right quickly, so maybe tie rod ends? As far as cornering, it performs well. I will have the car in the air tomorrow and will inspect and see.
^ Yup it's the reason why I asked if it was exactly as he described just to see if it was a little exaggerated. Cause if it wasn't that is extremely dangerous to drive around in. Get it checked out or don't drive it fast. If I recall correctly most highways in Oregon don't let you drive that fast?
Yeah we have a limit of 55. 65 in some areas.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If your upper ball joint is loose, you could get that clunk noise/feel.

That may have been detached from the knuckle to remove the strut assembly. You can check this by jacking up either front wheel and wiggling the wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock (but really any clock position will show a loose ball joint.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
To check the ball joint I believe you have to keep the suspension under load. I usually use a pry bar bellow the tire and pry in an up or downward direction. Then you could peak underneath and visually see how much play the upper and lower ball joints have... anyway.... that's what I do at work... my two cents. Usually if there is play in all directions, normally the bearings in the hup are jacked.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
To check the ball joint I believe you have to keep the suspension under load. I usually use a pry bar bellow the tire and pry in an up or downward direction. Then you could peak underneath and visually see how much play the upper and lower ball joints have... anyway.... that's what I do at work... my two cents. Usually if there is play in all directions, normally the bearings in the hup are jacked.
No load is needed, pry bars work but you dont want to over torque a bushing.

I don't have the printout. But its a reputable shop here in town. I can drive my brothers truck for a while until its sorted out.

I do hear a clunk when i turn left to right quickly, so maybe tie rod ends? As far as cornering, it performs well. I will have the car in the air tomorrow and will inspect and see.

Yeah we have a limit of 55. 65 in some areas.
Jack the car up, put stands under it, or at least your wheels if you dont have stands.

Look at and grab your tierod ends, move them around as much as you can. If one is bad you will know. Its also possible that the steering rack itself is bad. This is a little harder to diag since you cant see it. But if you pull the steering links in and out you should not have any play.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update. The Compliance bushings were toast, so they got replaced. Also the sway bar endlinks felt loose, so i changed them. And when working i found that one axle was bad, so i replaced both of them. Took it to a different shop, they said i had some toe out and got it fixed, now the car handles awesome, even 120+ :) (on a private course in Germany of course)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Just an update. The Compliance bushings were toast, so they got replaced. Also the sway bar endlinks felt loose, so i changed them. And when working i found that one axle was bad, so i replaced both of them. Took it to a different shop, they said i had some toe out and got it fixed, now the car handles awesome, even 120+ :) (on a private course in Germany of course)
:thumbsup: Glad you got it fixed!

·
( o)( o)
964 Posts
Now similiar issues are happening to me. Issues were evident before new tires. Now they're amplified further more with new tires (I thought the issues were with the junk tires):
-steering loose/nervous at random times... decel/accel
-steering has play in/out driveways
-car shakes and steering wheel vibrates at 65+mph

I'm dropping the car off Wed. night to be assessed/fix Thu.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Interesting... Maybe I should get my bushings replaced too.

My car feels wavy on the highway when I jerk my steering left and right. This was after a Spoon strut bar install, before with just the stock strut bar, it had a quick snappy feel on the highway.

My mods are:

BC N+ coilovers
Progress rear sway bar + Moog End links
Spoon Strut bar ( Car feels wavy on the highway after install )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.