Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive over even small imperfections in the road I can hear a loud clunking noise from the front right wheel area. I pulled the wheel and don't see anything obviously loose. I did however notice that if I'm on the brakes even the slightest bit while going over bumps there is no noise. This leads me to believe that something in the brake assy is making the sound but I can't really see anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have had the same problem ever since i installed coil-overs, i only lowered the car about 25mm raising them up 5mm helped a little - i believe its the ball joint on the upper wishbone arm either locking out or hitting the top of the wheel well

i was thinking of upgrading the arm to a stronger ball joint like the Skunk2 or Hardrace unit - but im unsure if it will fix the problem

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seems like the same issue I am having for months. I have thud/clunk on my FR wheel when I go over bumps or into dips. Does yours RF suspension feel loose when you go over these bumps because mine does. Also if I go over a speed bump and braking it seems normal. I have looked into my endlinks and sway bar but they seem fine. My suspension is new so I know that it is not my struts. I was thinking the ball joints on the upper A arm might do the trick, but I am thinking about taking it in for a diagnosis at a shop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know why applying the brakes would make it go away if it was suspension related though.

My brake shield was actually rattling around quite a bit so I fixed that but it only seemed to reduce the noise.

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
I had similar symptoms and it was a busted driver side wheel bearing. The pressure from braking tighten\centered the assembly and didn't let them clunk. Mine started to vibrate as the part got worse. Hopefully it's not that, had a hell of a time replacing mine :smash:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ive been hearing clankig sounds coming from my front passenger side wheel as well, it all started after I swapped out my break and rotors though, it sounds like someone slapping a pan/pot lid , i think my issue has something to do with the rotor dust shield maybe, havent had time to check it out yet....

De5

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
same. even after upgrading to my skunk2 UCAs... **** this is annoying!
and i don't think its a wheel bearing... i don't hear a whirring noise, more clank clank clank bang
and it's not b/c of my brakes.
all my links are good, suspension is tight. just clanks away ...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
I had a similar noise as well but it was only occasional. It turned out that my one upper control arm bolt had come a bit loose.

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
I have similiar noise, I'm doing compliance/ control arm bushings, and a trans mount. I also think my strut/top hat mount is worn out on that side up front. It just sounds like its wobbling over every bump.

Sent from my Rooted HTC Rezound on Verizon 4G LTE.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that sounds like a loose dust shield or heat shield
That's what I thought but I wired it up so it couldn't rattle and the noise is still there. Also, the suspension doesn't feel as solid on that side going over bumps. Maybe I'll try removing the shield to see if it helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I removed the heat shield and it did get quieter but there is still some sort loose/shifting metal sound.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Almost sounds as if there is play from the shock in the strut tophat. Meaning as the shock is compressed the tophat is moving from side to side... If you are still on OEM shocks and you have a 2004 TSX...time and blown shocks could have this happen. Did you re-Tq both the top part of the strut and the top hat to the frame?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts