Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud noise that seems to be affiliated with my air conditioner. It happens more and more frequently. Initially only on very hot days and when the vehicle was slowing down, stopped or accelerating. As time progressed, more and more frequently, and now even happens on cool days (65 degrees). It is shocking, almost sounds like the first sound of a siren. I've had people my car when this has happened, it is embarassing. They look around thinking there is a cop, but no, it is just my car. Does anyone have any suggestions. I took it to the dealer and they thought my AC might be going out. This is an expensive fix if it is the AC unit, and the AC unit should not go out. Have had several cars, much older than 7 years old, and never had an AC unit go out, much less any issue with it. Any advise or similiar experiences? No longer under warranty, but the AC issue seems to be a known problem.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Sry about your issue. I don't remember if it was solved, but I recall a previous thread on this issue if you can find it. Happy hunting if you haven't already tried!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Have them bleed the system first as it might just be a little bit of air in the system - that's what I had the dealer do to resolve the the issue with the same noise awhile back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i had the exact same problem.

the dealer did a 3 hour hot evac/recharge of the a/c system. its been about 6 months now and no wookie-in-heat noises any more.

hope this helps.

Reactions: MaDMaXX

·
Registered
247 Posts
same exact thing happened to me last summer when I constantly had the a/c on, After one season the noise went away on its own. Hope you solve your issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone else had/fixed this problem?

Notcied it today in 80f, was able to repro just by having the AC kicking on whilst sat there idling. Everytime the compressor kicked on, it whooped, and it comes from the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife's TSX is doing this, it's the expansion valve which is attached to your evaporator behind the HVAC fan behind the glove compartment. Big pain in the butt to work on since it's in such an awkward angle, I've done it on my WRX before and will probably doing it for my wife's car this summer. The part is cheap, maybe around $40 and you can do it yourself if you know how to change your oil. It will cost you about $100 after parts, and having the mechanic evacuate the refrigerant, re pressurize the system and 2 bottles of refrigerant. Sure beats the hell out of spending $500 at the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't seen the valve anywhere that cheap.

any idea on the price to evacuate the system? and/or what 'weight' of refrigerant should be put back in again?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts