Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just bought a 2005 TSX 5AT Base, a couple weeks ago and it's already being a PITA. Good thing for a 30 day warranty! haha Anyways, after driving around for the first week and a half everything was going fine but now;
1. My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition (Getting fixed this week)
2. Was driving to work and the car started to overheat. so i pulled over and popped the hood. There was no coolant in the reservoir and the radiator was a little low too. Ended up putting in almost a gallon of coolant between both. Then two days later (Today) checked it again and there is about an inch of coolant at the bottom of the reservoir. THERE ARE NO VISIBLE LEAKS!!! I am not a mechanic by any means and just looking for some input from whoever can help me out. THANKS!
P.S. searched the forum and couldn't find a thing :dunno:

·
Registered
377 Posts
If any cooling system work was done before you bought the car, there may have been air trapped somewhere. I find it hard to believe that there could have been a "gallon worth" of air.

Keep an eye on the reservoir. Check when cold, note the level and check hot. If the system is full and not leaking, you'll see the level fluctuate between those two points ONLY. Coolant can be tricky because it can weep and partially evaporate leaving only a residue on things rather than a puddle under your car ex: water pump, corrosion building under a hose connection, radiator, etc.

A coolant pressure test will help you/ a mechanic track down a minor leak.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If it is continually that low something isn't right... It is either leaking or going into one of the cylinders and out the exhaust... What does your tail pipe look like? I would do a system pressure test and in this case a compression and leak down test to see whats going on.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Any visible leaks?

How does your a/c and heat work? Sounds like air, but it could also be a leaky water pump...you would notice a leak though if you look carefully.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This happened to me (not a gallon though) when I bought my car. Turned out to be air as a result of a new thermostat being added. Let the air work through the system before jumping to conclusions (assuming that's the issue). Find out if there been recent work done on the cooling system. If you see white smoke (not condensation) coming out of the exhaust then it's the head gasket. Otherwise you could have a leaking water pump, so check for crusty residue in that area. Like others have said mark it hot and cold. Hot will be higher than cold on the reservoir. Coolant leaks can be difficult but there are normally clear signs somewhere (exhaust, dripping under car, residue near water pump, or coolant mixing with oil). Good luck and keep an eye out to prevent the car from overheating as that can be devastating to the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah I checked over everything myself, found nothing, until i went to pick up something underneath my passenger seat and noticed the carpet was soaked! I at first thought it could have been water because i had a water jug in the back. So i felt it and it felt a little slimy.. so i decided to bring it to my boss who's a mechanic. (I work in the office at a shop). He looked it over checked the other areas and noticed the heater core was leaking very bad under the passenger dash flowing into the rear. So that's where my coolant is going! haha Kinda bummed I'm gonna be without a car for almost a week, but at least its covered under warranty. :thumbsup:

I have a hunch why it was leaking, but that's more crap for another day. haha
Anyways thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts