Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 Acura tsx 5AT NAVI EVERYTHING STOCK with 178k miles. I feel like my car should be getting better gas mileage, at peak it was getting 24-27mpg and it was a 18mile commute 70highway/30city~.This was me going 70mph with cruise control, slowing down by letting go of the gas pedal and then slowly breaking when getting close, always having my windows closed, 91 octane(always), AC off in the morning and on in the afternoon.
but just this week I had to go somewhere that was 7.2 miles far which made it city driving all week long, I put gas in my car today, and got 17mpg. seems too low for a 4 cylinder.
I see people getting 20-22mpg city driving and 29-34mpg with highway which makes me think there's something wrong with my car.

these are the parts i have changed that got me these results,
Spark plugs oem ngk
Ignition coils Autozone brand
intake air filter
PCV valve oem
OIl is Mobile 1 full synthetic and mobile 1 filter
new tires Continental dws something something plus 3 months old at right psi
alignment
no added weight besides the spare tire and my self. some rags and some coolant

also somethings that might negatively effect mpg
front bumper is loose, but i tapped it into place and it's holding.
i am missing the bottom cover so less aerodynamic.
i live in Los angels SFV so traffic gets bad.

I read that changing stock intake to cold air intake might increase mpg bc of the free air flow but then some say it lowers it, same with the valve adjustment.
should i just gun it and do the valve adjustment? if so I will give a update.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I get about 400 miles on a tank on the highway (driving high-70s), maybe 250 in town (6MT).

The bumper thing could be a big deal, a little aerodynamics goes a long way.

The splash guard is probably not a big deal, mine got left off by an indie shop and it didn't seem to affect MPG at all.

When I got the car, the PO had been running dino oil and 2nd-tier gas, and it got about 300 miles/tank highway. After a year of Mobile 1 and quality gas (Chevron or Mobile) the mileage was up to 400/tank. I think the oil and fuel matters.

Not sure about autozone coils, I use OEM or very reputable aftermarket on this car. But as longs as the coils are not misfiring, they shouldn't effect the mileage too much. You can check for misfires with a scantool... a very few is no big deal and might be considered normal. My cars are meticulously maintained, and I never have any misfires at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get about 400 miles on a tank on the highway (driving high-70s), maybe 250 in town (6MT).

The bumper thing could be a big deal, a little aerodynamics goes a long way.

The splash guard is probably not a big deal, mine got left off by an indie shop and it didn't seem to affect MPG at all.

When I got the car, the PO had been running dino oil and 2nd-tier gas, and it got about 300 miles/tank highway. After a year of Mobile 1 and quality gas (Chevron or Mobile) the mileage was up to 400/tank. I think the oil and fuel matters.

Not sure about autozone coils, I use OEM or very reputable aftermarket on this car. But as longs as the coils are not misfiring, they shouldn't effect the mileage too much. You can check for misfires with a scantool... a very few is no big deal and might be considered normal. My cars are meticulously maintained, and I never have any misfires at all.
i have been using a local gas station for the cheapest price 5.10$/gallon for 91 using a credit card, cheaper than Arco. but next fill up will be mobile or chevron. and ill record the difference. the front bumper is tapped flushed to the fender and doesn't move, sadly i would like to get it fixed but i don't want to spend the money yet. lol. and the ignitions coils are fine. but i might end up buying oem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you use top-tier gas, that should clean up any fuel system deposits over time, but that may take a few tanks. If you suspect deposits, you could also just get a bottle of techron from the FLAPS... that will give you a higher concentration and should make a difference after one or two bottles (run one bottle with a tank of gas, repeat if necessary). Techron is the chevron additive and it works.

·
Registered
2008 auto TSX CGP
591 Posts
Changing the fuel filter in a TSX is not an easy or standard maintenance item as it is not an inline filter. It is located inside the fuel tank so you'll have to drop the tank to replace it.

You won't find it it in the recommended maintenance intervals. I have over 250k miles and have not had the need to replace mine. With that said it can be replaced as needed if for some reason you really believe that it has become clogged but it is rare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changing the fuel filter in a TSX is not an easy or standard maintenance item as it is not an inline filter. It is located inside the fuel tank so you'll have to drop the tank to replace it.

You won't find it it in the recommended maintenance intervals. I have over 250k miles and have not had the need to replace mine. With that said it can be replaced as needed if for some reason you really believe that it has become clogged but it is rare.
yeah I think the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure before replacing the fuel pump or filter.

I doubt those would affect mpg without also affecting performance in a noticeable manner.

But IIRC the pump can be replaced from above without dropping the tank, at least on 1st gen. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would skip the CAI. Usually cause more issues than they solve, and if Honda would have intended it to be there, it would already be there. I've been driving Hondas for 30+ years and have yet to see one increase MPG.

As for the front bumper fascia, mine is secured at the edges with zip ties, 283K on the clock, no issues and no shame in it. Also just my opinion. My TSX is admittedly my "beater" car, and it has been through hell and back, not to mention totalled twice. Still runs like a champ.

The bottom cover, also IMO, is more trouble than it's worth, I ordered one a few years ago, back when I still cared how the car looked, and never put it on when I realized you need to drop it every time you change the oil, or else maybe remove the wheel well protector? Pfft, no chance. Usually there's a door or something for oil filler access. I get about 30MPG on the highway without the thing. So I doubt that's your issue.

I'd just Google "troubleshooting poor MPG" and start there for ideas, or see what Eric the Car Guy or Scotty Kilmer has to say on the subject, and just start trying stuff from cheapest to most expensive. That's what I would do.

Good luck 🤞

1 - 10 of 10 Posts