Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here has resorted to putting 89 or even 87 octane in their car? Price of gas is kicking my ass and i'm wondering if the car's CPU will adapt to lower grade gas or be significantly less powerful.

Up here in Canada a tank of 91 sets me back almost $80.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
3,260 Posts
Anyone here has resorted to putting 89 or even 87 octane in their car? Price of gas is kicking my ass and i'm wondering if the car's CPU will adapt to lower grade gas or be significantly less powerful.

Up here in Canada a tank of 91 sets me back almost $80.
Wouldn't recommend it. You lose performance and it'll be choppy. It'll work though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i've actually been putting in 87 for about two months so far. I've honestly yet to experience performance loss, albeit that being the claim. and i never felt anything choppy. but, this is just my subjective point of view, obviously.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I accidentally put regular in once, well actually the pump was marked "supreme" but only pumped out "regular"(stupid Irving), and it could just be me but it didn't feel the same or drive as well. That tank of gas didn't last as long ether and I got horribly fuel economy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not speak from experience for TSX, but I do for two other Acura cars I drive - regular is fine but I agree with juri above that your fuel economy will not be as good. It will be even worse if you have the V6.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, so it won't knock or anything? I'm tempted to try if prices keep getting stupid.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
Cool, so it won't knock or anything? I'm tempted to try if prices keep getting stupid.
No, it won't knock. Your car is smart enough to detect the knocks and retard its timing to protect itself from you. However, your fuel economy will drop, though, and you will spend more to go the same distance than you would be able to cover if you used premium fuel. You'll still have okay fuel mileage, but not as good if you followed the advice of the people who designed and built the engine in your car.

In addition to needing to buy more fuel (if premium needs X gallons to get you from NYC to LA, regular will need X+Y gallons), you will need to spend more time at gas stations to buy that extra gas.

In addition to the extra time you spend filling up, your car's timing will be retarded so your engine will have less horsepower. If your engine has 201 horsepower on premium, it'll have under 200 on regular. Don't floor the gas pedal and expect the car to take off.

In addition to the lower horsepower, you may have more carbon deposits build up in your engine since premium usually has more/better fuel additives mixed in.

Assume you drive the car for 200k miles, and regular has a 1 MPG loss (even though it should be 2 or 3 MPG at least):

Premium: 200000 miles * 25 MPG = 8000 gallons
Regular: 200000 miles * 24 MPG = 8333 gallons

Regular has to buy 333 more gallons, and that was 200k miles of underpowered, boring miles. Premium used less gas, and you could floor it and go wild.

If you fill up when your low fuel indicator turns on, then: 333 gallons / 13 gallons = 26 extra visits to the gas station.

Try the exercise with a drop of 2-3 MPG.

You can try running your car on regular if you meet either of the following criteria:

1. Fuel economy doesn't matter to you. If you sit in rush hour traffic most of the time, your MPG sucks, regardless of what octane level you use.

2. You are not a spirited driver. Your gas pedal never reaches the floor, and you take your sweet time to get up to speed. You never need to overtake people.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
becareful, the some people with 09 have knocking problems. its a tsb so if it does happen, just bring it to your dealer and replace the knocking sensor and something else.

honestly i wouldnt risk it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sell the car

If you cannot afford the gas sell the car. There is a reason they say premium. They do not get kick backs from fuel companies.
You are looking at a 4cyl that puts out around 200 hp. It would be cheaper in the long run to use the premium and avoid damage to the engine.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Plus isn't the difference like $2 total per fillup? Relative to $80 that's like 2.5% difference. Not going to make a difference for anyone's wallet.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
becareful, the some people with 09 have knocking problems. its a tsb so if it does happen, just bring it to your dealer and replace the knocking sensor and something else.
That's true. If I remember correctly, the fix involves flashing the ECU.

Plus isn't the difference like $2 total per fillup? Relative to $80 that's like 2.5% difference. Not going to make a difference for anyone's wallet.
It's more like $2.60 per tank/fill up. That means OP will pay $77.40 instead of $80. If someone needs to save every nickel and dime, it sounds like OP bought the wrong car and should have bought a car that was designed on regular (not designed on premium, but can tolerate regular).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, yeah, you guys bring up good points. Seems much more reasonable to run premium. I'll consider the few bucks I spend more a 'spirited driving' tax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been using mid in my 09 since I got it. 2 years old now, and I really haven't had any problems.

I'm just wondering if I should start putting the good stuff in my car now.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Yea people don't understand that you're not even saving that much at the pump going down from 91 to 87. You save 3 bucks max if you pump 87. You save more skipping on a super size meal than pumping 87

1 - 16 of 16 Posts