Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
四世
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to lower my Tein Basics in the rear without an adjusting wrench (or any tools at all for that matter). I was able to lower the fronts without any problem by loosening the bottom collar then twisting the top portion down then tightening the bottom collar. I basically grabbed the spring and twisted it lower.

This doesn't seem right to me :squint:, but it did lower the car...

Also, when I tried to do the same for the rears I couldn't move the top collar at all, even when I used a flathead and hammer.

·
四世
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Basics are different. You basically have two collars, the bottom one locks the top one in place. The spring rests on the top collar and adjust the top collar will lower or raise the car depending on which way you twist it.

·
Jon Daily Boulevard
5,554 Posts
No, just one side. I'm using the stock car jack.
In my experience, it's better to have both rear tires off the ground when adjusting the rear height. It helps to relieve spring tension. The RSB is working when you have one rear wheel off the ground so it makes it difficult to adjust the spring collar. Give it a try

I have TEIN SS which is basically the same as the Basics and have tinkered with my ride height numerous times. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
I recommend the Tein spanner wrenches as well. Personally got Basics and the wrenches help tremendously. You can get them used for pretty cheap, most likely on Ebay (don't quote me on that, just assuming).

·
四世
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I really should buy them. I'm sick of using my friend's adjustment wrench that's meant for Megans. Anyways, I got the upper collar to move after I took out the bolt attaching the coilover to the chassis.

So when I was adjusting it my friend kept mentioning something about the preload and how adjusting it the way I was doing it, seemed to be messing with the preload. He didn't see any other way to adjust the height though.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
Yea, I really should buy them. I'm sick of using my friend's adjustment wrench that's meant for Megans. Anyways, I got the upper collar to move after I took out the bolt attaching the coilover to the chassis.

So when I was adjusting it my friend kept mentioning something about the preload and how adjusting it the way I was doing it, seemed to be messing with the preload. He didn't see any other way to adjust the height though.
pretty sure basics only have a preload adjustment so the only way to lower it is to change the preload also:/ thats why coils with upper and lower adjustments are alot better

you can see how the second image the threads are the full length of the tube and you can adjust the lower mount whille changing your height and in return your preload stays the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts